Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carrying ammo loose or organized?

Basic Member

Carrying ammo loose or organized?

I like to hike into shooting sports, so there’s some things that can be done differently with gear that makes life a little better. Concerning transporting ammo, does anyone with experience, or someone that just knows better, know if there is a downside to carrying ammo loose. The pouch I’ve got holds significantly more ammo, almost 50% more, than does an organized ammo box. Besides increased capacity with increased weight, are there any other pros/cons I don’t know of? Is it detrimental to have ammo being hiked around loose? Thanks in advance for any input you can provide.

D

Here’s my loose vs. organized options.

Basic Member
    I don't carry ammo loose when hunting because the noise the rounds make bumping into each other. There is also a safety aspect. The probability may be slim but if the bullet tip were to impact the primer......

Basic Member
    If it's plinking/blazing ammo sure.... If I'm expecting it to be precision ammo that I spent hours at the bench making perfect definitely not. Just not worth it in my opinion. Hike all the way to a position just to end in frustration because of something like seating depth or concentricity getting messed up due to poor storage... My buddy at Walsh Custom Defense just released a 120rds ammo binder. It's what I'll be using for all my matches and most range trips.

Basic Member
    crimped with cannalured FMJ bullets, I would say you are GTG. Some of my dies lack enough squeeze for neck tension that I would trust it not to shift around.

Basic Member
    Interesting point. I will say, in the organized box, the rounds aren't held static and rattle up and down, perfectly along the round's axis. Thinking about it, I'd rather have another round pushing lightly on the side of another round, which is what happens carrying rounds loosely, rather than having the rounds hitting the lid directly on the nose over and over while hiking. Because of the shape of a round, in the loose bag, a round likely never has a force loaded directly on the nose, down the axis of the round. I suppose the ammo binder will remedy both situations. I checked on the web page you mentioned but they don't mention the product to speak of.

D

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Baller View Post
    Interesting point. I will say, in the organized box, the rounds aren't held static and rattle up and down, perfectly along the round's axis. Thinking about it, I'd rather have another round pushing lightly on the side of another round, which is what happens carrying rounds loosely, rather than having the rounds hitting the lid directly on the nose over and over while hiking. Because of the shape of a round, in the loose bag, a round likely never has a force loaded directly on the nose, down the axis of the round. I suppose the ammo binder will remedy both situations. I checked on the web page you mentioned but they don't mention the product to speak of.

D
    I install foam on the tops of all my ammo boxes to prevent them from bouncing around at all.

Downside to carrying loose are: grit, possible increased run-out, loss. Maybe others. Do you have a separate pouch for the empties?

My hunting carry is a spare magazine or an MTM pack. When big-game hunting I usually carry only 4 to 13 rounds. Varmints - a spare 50 case in the pack. When I "patrol my perimeter" I have a single shot .223 with a spare pouch in the stock that holds 7 rounds (rigidly) and a spare MTM belt box of 20 more. 28 shots would be a LOT in a couple hours of walking.

I like the MTM Wallet. Mine holds 9 rounds and a bore snake. With the magazine I have 13 rounds. That's plenty.

Rimfire? I dump a couple 50 boxes into a belt pouch and carry loose.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Crimped/plinking ammo wouldn't be an issue other than the noise of it banging around. I don't know that I would carry my precision reloads that way though. I'm sure cheap hunting rounds should be fine.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post
    If it's plinking/blazing ammo sure.... If I'm expecting it to be precision ammo that I spent hours at the bench making perfect definitely not.
    My thoughts exactly.

Put it in a quart ziplock freezer bag or 3, roll it tight, put a rubber band around it, put it in the bag you got there and hit the trail.

Basic Member
    Walsh custom Defense just released this 120rds ammo binders! Already love this thing! It actually is quite a bit smaller than I expected!

https://www.walshcustom.com/ should be up on the site soon though!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6E0C3466-677E-423A-A2DE-E70458A45FD6.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	168.1 KB 
ID:	4828Click image for larger version. 

Name:	C24BD338-D14A-431A-811F-2B0977E4D50A.jpeg 
Views:	23 
Size:	155.1 KB 
ID:	4830Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CA465C23-656D-4617-A6D7-FB674DCFDC6C.jpeg 
Views:	22 
Size:	236.8 KB 
ID:	4831Click image for larger version. 

Name:	5561C61F-862A-4589-85E3-DD50E17E4A82.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	175.9 KB 
ID:	4832
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 6E0C3466-677E-423A-A2DE-E70458A45FD6.jpeg  

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Put it in a quart ziplock freezer bag or 3, roll it tight, put a rubber band around it, put it in the bag you got there and hit the trail.
    But but i always (hit the trail) in a Jeep. Would i still need the Ziplocks with rubber bands?
    Dosent seem to be a very user friendly way to me anyway actually.
    And what about toilet paper? How best to carry that when out on the trail?
    Might be a better chance of needing that than ammo when out there on the trail.
    I personally prefer those tan colored napkins from Wendys, very eco friendly.
    I sometimes just order napkins at the drive thru.
    I usually just stuff some in those little pockets on the doors of the Jeep so their handy if needed.
    Wonder if i should keep my ammo in there instead?

Is that a .338 Lapua in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    But but i always (hit the trail) in a Jeep. Would i still need the Ziplocks with rubber bands?
    Dosent seem to be a very user friendly way to me anyway actually.
    And what about toilet paper? How best to carry that when out on the trail?
    Might be a better chance of needing that than ammo when out there on the trail.
    I personally prefer those tan colored napkins from Wendys, very eco friendly.
    I sometimes just order napkins at the drive thru.
    I usually just stuff some in those little pockets on the doors of the Jeep so their handy if needed.
    Wonder if i should keep my ammo in there instead?
    Well heck yobuck thats a different problem. You can put yours in a sock and hang them off your mirror for quick access.

Basic Member
    Well heck yobuck thats a different problem. You can put yours in a sock and hang them off your mirror for quick access.
    Hey, not a bad idea, the sock could even serve double duty, might be better than using your drag rope. lol
    But you know what? after 70 seasons of hunting, i never even realized this was a problem till now.
    My ammo stays in the jeep for the whole season. I wonder if the overnight temp changes affect it? Nahh.

Basic Member
    Hey, not a bad idea, the sock could even serve double duty, might be better than using your drag rope. lol
    But you know what? after 70 seasons of hunting, i never even realized this was a problem till now.
    My ammo stays in the jeep for the whole season. I wonder if the overnight temp changes affect it? Nahh.
    How are you 68 (per your profile info) and have 70 seasons of hunting under your belt?

Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter = Four Seasons. ;-)

17-1/2 years.

Unless you load your Ammo with no neck tension, plan on using the ammo pouch as a seat cushion on rocks, or using your ammo pouch as an impromptu softball for a quick game your ammo will be fine.

Basic Member
    I install foam on the tops of all my ammo boxes to prevent them from bouncing around at all.
    Makes them quieter too.

Basic Member
    How are you 68 (per your profile info) and have 70 seasons of hunting under your belt?
    Cant answer about why the profile states my age at 68.
    But I can answer to being born in Philadelphia PA in April of 1935.
    Started hunting in 1947, making the past season my 70TH.

You are old enough to be my dad.

Basic Member
    You are old enough to be my dad.
    Grandpa!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Grandpa!
    Great grandpa, and a few of them are old enough to hunt also.
    And since so many are asking lol, as I look back, about the first 20 or so of those 70 years are the ones id like back.

You are old enough to be my grandsons great grampa!!!!!

But I can answer to being born in Philadelphia PA in April of 1935.
    Heck, you could be my brother! My Dad was born in 1912. He'd a been 23 when you were born. ;-)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast