Thread: Determining a Savage 116 FCSS Weather Warrior

Determining a Savage 116 FCSS Weather Warrior

My head is spinning on this one, as I assume it has for many on here due to the changes Savage is constantly making to their rifles. I am attempting to purchase a Savage 116 FCSS Weather Warrior in 6.5x284 from an individual online. He is claiming it is a 116 FCSS and that he is into it over $800, and so I would expect this rifle to have a 24" SS barrel with an Accu-stock and DBM. Problem was that he initially listed it as a 22" barrel. I asked him to measure the barrel and if it had an Accu-stock. He claimed he made a mistake and it was 24" but did not know whether it was an Accu-stock. Given what he has told me so far, I am thinking it is actually a 116 FCSS, but he just doesn't know what he has. Does it say 116 FCSS anywhere on the rifle (ex. on the barrel), , or is the barrel/action unmarked, or marked Model 10/110 since it is based on that action? This used rifle has a smooth barrel nut and bottom bolt release. Problem for me was in looking at the rifles listed as 116 FCSS Weather Warrior online...half showed photos with a top bolt release and a knurled barrel nut. I am going crazy here, trying to make sure he is not selling me a 111 package rifle rather than an actual 116 FCSS Weather Warrior. Of course when I researched 111 rifles in 6.5x284, some of those had 24" barrels and others had 22" barrels. I am aware that the 116 FCSS is now the 110 Storm. Can anyone here give me some insight here as to whether or not the gun being sold is in fact a 116 FCSS Weather Warrior? Any reason I should just forgo the 116 and just get a 110 Storm? If it wasn't for the good price and a bunch of extras I am getting, I'd just go for the new 110. I definitely want an Accu-stock and SS 24" barrel. Thanks.

I would probably just buy new unless it’s a fantastic deal. And then only if confirmed what you want. Should have an accustock! Otherwise just a regular weather warrior. Savage could tell you what it was leaving the factory based on the serial number.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    I would probably just buy new unless it’s a fantastic deal. And then only if confirmed what you want. Should have an accustock! Otherwise just a regular weather warrior. Savage could tell you what it was leaving the factory based on the serial number.
    Did Savage make a "Weather Warrior" without an Accu-stock? Perhaps I am confused. I thought the Weather Warrior designation and 116 FCSS indicated an Accu-stock...as opposed to the 11/111 package guns that just had the plain plastic stock.

Well I think that depends on how far back you go. I think originally the non accustock were known as weather warriors.

Then there was the 16/116 trophy hunter series. No accustock

(before 110 storm) was the 116 weather warrior. With the Accustock

lastly the 110 storm as it’s now known.

Between all the various letter designations I think there is a lot of confusion. Savage could tell you what you’re looking at. Or at least how it left the factory. Probably a recent made rifle being bottom bolt release in 6.5-284.

*savage sku 19457. I find both a 22 and 24” bbl.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyShackle View Post
    Well I think that depends on how far back you go. I think originally the non accustock were known as weather warriors.

Then there was the 16/116 trophy hunter series. No accustock

(before 110 storm) was the 116 weather warrior. With the Accustock

lastly the 110 storm as it’s now known.

Between all the various letter designations I think there is a lot of confusion. Savage could tell you what you’re looking at. Or at least how it left the factory. Probably a recent made rifle being bottom bolt release in 6.5-284.

*savage sku 19457. I find both a 22 and 24” bbl.
    Given the rifle has under 50 rounds through it and that he stated he last handloaded for it in 2015, I am thinking it was bought around that time. Hard to believe he doesn't know if it has an Accu-stock...seems to be an important selling point for many. Gun comes with extra mags, pic rail and cheek piece, so I think it may be looking into this older model.

By chance was the 116 FCSS Weather Warrior spec'd out differently, depending on which company was selling it [Cabela's, Bass Pro, Sportsman's Warehouse, etc.)? I wonder if that is why I currently see some 116 FCSS rifles listed with a top bolt release and knurled barrel nut vs. those with the bottom bolt release and smooth barrel nut.

Basic Member
    I have 2 Weather Warriors that are not accustock. They are 16's one in 7mm WSM and the other 325 WSM

If it has an aluminum bedding block in the stock, and it’s a factory stock, it’s an accustock. Would it be that hard for him to remove the screws to verify?
    Savage has made several variations of the Weather Warrior. I have 3. One is a LH 300 WinMag with no accustock and no accutrigger, fluted barrel with “adjustable” factory brake, blind magazine, top bolt release. One is 243, non-accustock, non-accutrigger, blind magazine, top bolt release. The third is a 338 WinMag, Accu-stock, Accutrigger, hinged floorplate, bottom bolt release. All were purchased new, with the Weather Warrior designation on the factory box. Savage can tell you what it is if you call them with the serial number in hand.
    Originally Posted by keeki
    Guess it doesn't really matter. If ya cant afford $15, you won't be buying much anyways

Quote Originally Posted by Hotolds442 View Post
    If it has an aluminum bedding block in the stock, and it’s a factory stock, it’s an accustock. Would it be that hard for him to remove the screws to verify?
    Savage has made several variations of the Weather Warrior. I have 3. One is a LH 300 WinMag with no accustock and no accutrigger, fluted barrel with “adjustable” factory brake, blind magazine, top bolt release. One is 243, non-accustock, non-accutrigger, blind magazine, top bolt release. The third is a 338 WinMag, Accu-stock, Accutrigger, hinged floorplate, bottom bolt release. All were purchased new, with the Weather Warrior designation on the factory box. Savage can tell you what it is if you call them with the serial number in hand.
    Ah, the joys of purchasing sight unseen on the internet.
    Yes, you'd think it would be that easy...but the seller ended up calling Savage to confirm by serial number. I just received the rifle and it is in fact a Weather Warrior with Accustock. I expect it to be a shooter!

Weather Warrior is/was a group of rifle models with a specific set of features (stainless sporter barrel and action + synthetic stock). The 16 and 116 model designations were almost exclusive to the Weather Warrior series (exception being a few 116's in the Specialty Series such as the old Safari models).

A 16/116 FSS is a weather Warrior
    A 16/116 FCSS is a weather Warrior
    A 16/116 FHSS is a Weather Warrior
    Also several variations of the above with AK in the alphabet soup indicating they're equipped with an adjustable muzzle brake.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Lonewolf72 View Post
    My head is spinning on this one, as I assume it has for many on here due to the changes Savage is constantly making to their rifles. I am attempting to purchase a Savage 116 FCSS Weather Warrior in 6.5x284 from an individual online. He is claiming it is a 116 FCSS and that he is into it over $800, and so I would expect this rifle to have a 24" SS barrel with an Accu-stock and DBM. Problem was that he initially listed it as a 22" barrel. I asked him to measure the barrel and if it had an Accu-stock. He claimed he made a mistake and it was 24" but did not know whether it was an Accu-stock. Given what he has told me so far, I am thinking it is actually a 116 FCSS, but he just doesn't know what he has. Does it say 116 FCSS anywhere on the rifle (ex. on the barrel), , or is the barrel/action unmarked, or marked Model 10/110 since it is based on that action? This used rifle has a smooth barrel nut and bottom bolt release. Problem for me was in looking at the rifles listed as 116 FCSS Weather Warrior online...half showed photos with a top bolt release and a knurled barrel nut. I am going crazy here, trying to make sure he is not selling me a 111 package rifle rather than an actual 116 FCSS Weather Warrior. Of course when I researched 111 rifles in 6.5x284, some of those had 24" barrels and others had 22" barrels. I am aware that the 116 FCSS is now the 110 Storm. Can anyone here give me some insight here as to whether or not the gun being sold is in fact a 116 FCSS Weather Warrior? Any reason I should just forgo the 116 and just get a 110 Storm? If it wasn't for the good price and a bunch of extras I am getting, I'd just go for the new 110. I definitely want an Accu-stock and SS 24" barrel. Thanks.
    For under $700 you can get a NEW UNFIRED 6.5 284 Norma Storm stainless with Accustock online from an FFL dealer if you look around.

You can't trust what the seller says as he could have bought it at a pawn shop for $300 and is flipping it to sell at a higher price.

When a seller does not even know that statistics on what item he is selling = red flag of exactly that.

It is stamped on the barrel. "Savage Model 116 - 6.5 284 Norma"
    A tape measure takes 5 seconds at most to measure a barrel.
    If you remove action screws, you can clearly see if it is an Accustock or not.
    It takes 2 minutes to see if it is or not.

Since the Seller is too lazy or incompetent to do such things = PASS on it.

This is no deal; it is a ripoff at your expense by a lazy seller.

YMMV

My opinion is worthless but here it goes. A stainless rifle used is worth around 550. a 6,5-284 is a barrel burner and I consider the barrel as burned out regardless of what is stated. 500 plus shipping would be a fair deal.

Basic Member
    Photos would answer a lot of your questions

FYI...to follow up with you all, I did receive the rifle and it is in fact a 116 FCSS Weather Warrior. He installed a Karsten cheek piece (like on the 111 Long Range Hunter) and sent 2 extra magazines. The rifle appears to be in very good condition and used little. So as long as the rifle shoots, I think $500 was a good price.

Only thing left for me is to buy dies to handload for this gun. Any suggestions for 6.5x284 NORMA dies or load recommendations? I already have components that I would like to try to build a load for big western mule deer...Hornady 143 ELD-X, Lapua brass and H4831sc.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk