Thread: Need help with lost bolt on 1953 Model 99

Question Need help with lost bolt on 1953 Model 99

Hello all, I'm crossposting this question from the Vintage Centerfire forum, but hopefully I can get some clarity.
    I inherited a Model 99 in .300 Savage a couple years ago, according to the serial list on this site it was made in 1953 (it's got the round counter and the ready-to-fire pin indicator). In order to appease my roommate I had removed the bolt assembly and kept it separate, but now I can't find it, so I have a useless gun. I hope to remedy this so I can use it for what it is meant for, shooting! I have a couple questions about sourcing a replacement:

-How do I tell if the model is special at all? I keep seeing listings and posts about things like 99C, 99F and so on. Or do I just have a plain old 99?

-The firing pin is normally part of the bolt assembly, correct? It's been 2 years since I took it apart, but I removed the whole bolt assembly I think (for ease of re-installation).

-For the bolt itself, I found this (https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1000630) and heard it was a generally reputable seller. But is that a typo for the S/N? It says 90,000 or under, but that would appear to apply to almost no guns. For reference, mine is 715245. And this would not include the firing pin assembly, would it?

-I'm attaching pictures so you can get an idea of what I'm missing, but I think I need:
    -Breech block
    -Firing pin
    -The breech bolt stop and screw

Here's the pictures, with the stock removed:

Any help will be greatly appreciated. This is my first gun, it belonged to my grandfather, and I just want to fix my blunder and get to actually use it. Thanks!

Basic Member
    As far as I can tell, it's an 99R. If it looks like the on GB that you posted a link to.

That's the thing, I am not 100% sure, it has been about two years since I took the bolt out. There is another mark on my barrel next to ".300 Savage" but it is well worn.

Basic Member
    I don't know if you're still looking for the bolt for your 99 or not. From Gun Parts note this would be for the 1909 and earlier manufactured rifles. Savage made some changes between then and about 1930 and again in the 1950s. The letter designates slightly different model modifications. Sometimes the letter wasn't stamped on the top of the receiver. They show a "new model" bolt that fits a lot of the 99s with serial numbers over 90,000 so it looks like that might be the one you need.
    Last edited by Travis98146; 03-09-2019 at 08:41 PM. Reason: more info