Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: trueing/timing work

Basic Member

trueing/timing work

hi guys, thanks to some fellow members my wallet is lighter.
    i'm building a rifle to shoot a local F open. .284 win cbi heavy barrel, model 12 bvss action, sav 2 trigger on the way, and i plan to use a choate tactical on it.
    so i'm sending the barrel out for a brake, i thought in the meantime i may send the action out for trueing and timing.

what do you think, should i bother, does it help much? should i change the firing pin setup?

who's the best for savages, i know SSS is great but real tough to deal with. other than them, who else?

Basic Member
    Try Kevin Cram, Montour Rifles, Danville PA.

Basic Member
    Check out Josh over at Patriot Valley Arms in PA. www.patriotvalleyarms.com

You can have brakes in F Class open? Always thought it was a no brake sport.

No brakes.

Basic Member
    I thought so. Hopefully it's an easy on and off like I use on my .308.

Basic Member
    I wouldn't waste time or money truing a savage for F-Class. Possibly short range bench rest, but even then... Go out and shoot a lot. Get your load dialed in and work on reading the wind. That will get you more points than a truing job any day of the week.

Basic Member
    That's a good point.

Basic Member
    I spoke with a Smith. He said it wasn't worth the effort since savage runs a floating bolt head.

I spoke with the local comp director and he informed me no brakes as well. I guess I'm saving a few bucks there

Basic Member
    That being said, is it worth messing with the firing pin and spring or just shoot the darn thing?

I should have everything together by the end of next week

Don't mess with the FP or spring. Changing either will just get you inconsistent ignition issues. Check the FP proptrusion and adjust it as needed, but other than that don't mess with it.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    IMHO, the only advantage to the "true and time" thing is an easier bolt lift but remember, it'll never be a Custom or Remington action.
    Had one done on my Model 10 "lefty" repeater action and wasn't impressed with the final results, but I can say, "I had mine done". It'll NEVER match my Remington XP 100 action.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

I subscribe to the truing portion of the deal. At least the face of the action. I have seen the pictures Fred posted of how Savage aligns the barrels with the actions and it is not a pretty thing. To me accuracy does not require the truing but precision does.

Spending money on a quality barrel is more utilized if when someone can shoot at 100 yards on target and move to 300 or farther without having to adjust for horizontal, wind calls not withstanding. I want my barrel in line with the action so it sits straight in the stock and I want my barrel in line with the scope mount holes(action?). Is it required or even necessary? No. But why have anything other than a factory rifle. Factory Savages can shoot small groups with the right ammo. For a serious out west or yobuck zone hunting or prone rifle, a smooth bolt and precision machined barrel and action is what fills the bill.

Lone Wolfs barrel indexing contribution is a step above mating faces being perpendicular and concentric. I can guarantee his rifle action's face is perpendicular to the axis of the action/scope mount and his barrel and action are threaded to near perfection. This is another reason I subscribe to loosing the barrel nut for serious stuff. Class 3( or a tight 2 threads and a trued action, action threads and nut, and parallel ground recoil lug make the nut system bulletproof but with manufacturing tolerance over the years gets you a box of chocolates. A cased bench or prone rifle is safe but a hunting rifle might get dropped bumped or whatever. I want that barrel/action junction bulletproof.

Yes the floating bolt and head improves the mess of a factory machined action(and speeds headspacing) but truing that mess is not negatively effected by the floating bolt head or vise versa. Savage has even started to "true" some actions...according to them. Seen many of the less expensive savage rifle's action faces that look like a ball peen hammer was used to put it together.

Basic Member
    IDK... seems to me, if I was gonna go thru the hassle and expense of truing an action (other than SSS T&T for bolt lift), I think I would start with a 700 or it's clone. Why spend all that money "perfecting" the specs of an imperfect design? Don't get me wrong, I LOVE the Savage products, AS THEY ARE. I am confident nearly 99.99% of the factory Savages shoot as well or better than most any other factory gun, and any other brand can only say maybe 90% of their guns do as well. ( I will not defend or explain these stats, I believe you get my point) But there is nothing you can do to them to make them as good as the best 700 clone. I would rather take a $300 Rem action, have IT trued, and maybe THEN have what can be a much better gun.

Basic Member
    I'll never personally T&T a Savage or remington action again. I'd rather save up for a remington clone action, or buy a used remington clone action. (Stiller, Surgeon, Defiance, etc). I have a better selection of parts with a Remington cloned action than I do with a Savage. However, the cloned action will have to have Savage barrel threads, so that cuts down on my choices and most aren't cheap. To my knowledge, the Ultimatum Deadline, Mausingield, Nucleus, TL3, and SR3. However, you can go with a Remmage system for the remington cut threaded actions so there's that.
    They who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Basic Member
    ^^^^Yes, the "Remage" system is nothing unique. The barrel is simply threaded for the Rem action just as the Savage barrel is threaded for a Savage action. THe only other thing you need is a barrel nut threaded for a Rem as opposed to Savage.

Choosing a rem clone with savage threads is not any better. Maybe there are more Savage barrels available, but it's no big deal if you choose a good maker that is capable of threading for Rem. Bison and APache come to mind.

Basic Member
    Robinhood, just wondering if you can shed some light on Savage's process of roller knurling the action face where the recoil lug mates up. Does this do a pretty consistent job of truing up the face as well as hardening it? What, if anything do you know about that process?

Inquiring minds might want to know....and relevant to OP's question of value of truing.

Thanks!
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Honestly, I'm not sure of the jargon "roller knurling" for truing an action. I have seen a "few" savage action faces and only the PTA's have a relatively clean face. Most look more like they were peened to me. An answer from Fred is would clarify all questions, but those marks look like they were for some type of alignment process to me.

Another thing to note is that the factory recoil lug takes from .012" to .020" to clean up if you consider the stock taken off both sides for at least 90% cleanup I believe Savage uses the high torque value on the threads to compensate for the lack of sufficient contact on the mating surfaces. this can cause distortion, I'm sure the tolerances are calculated and also the reason for a floating bulkhead IMHO.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Honestly, I'm not sure of the jargon

Another thing to note is that the factory recoil lug takes from .012" to .020" to clean up if you consider the stock taken off both sides for at least 90% cleanup
    Well I don't understand any of the jargon, but I do know that the plain jane as is factory Savages I have will shoot about as well as im capable of shooting, and I would assume most others can as well.
    The recoil lug puzzles me some in that if the action has been properly bedded, what advantage is had by (truing) the lug or replacing it with a better one?
    I fully realize that due to existing group records, benchrest competitors especially need to apply max effort to everything.
    But that's not exactly real world for most of us who just enjoy shooting well.
    Its pretty easy to get caught up in the if you don't do this, you wont do that process.

Basic Member
    Because the factory lug is not perfectly flat (true), even after bedding it, the rearward thrust under recoil will not be straight backwards. There will be some amount of push left or right. Picture two wedges pressed against each other, though their surfaces may be flat against each other, pressure on one can cause them to slide. If both surfaces are flat and square to each other, they will not slide. Who knows how much it really effects practical accuracy? Depends, I guess on how bad they are to begin with.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Because the factory lug is not perfectly flat (true), even after bedding it, the rearward thrust under recoil will not be straight backwards. There will be some amount of push left or right. Picture two wedges pressed against each other, though their surfaces may be flat against each other, pressure on one can cause them to slide. If both surfaces are flat and square to each other, they will not slide. Who knows how much it really effects practical accuracy? Depends, I guess on how bad they are to begin with.
    Usually the issue isn't so much accuracy. Accuracy can be achieved as long as it recoils consistently. You are more likely to have a funny zeroing experience like 3 Mils left or right from the mechanical center of your scope etc. If it's so bad that the barreled action is actually realigned every shot then you will likely not be able to print any groups. Similar to an off the rack M4/M16 from our armories. They are typically 2-4 MOA at best. This is due to the movement between the upper and lower receiver not being consistent shot to shot. Now if you have a matched receiver set or the Armorer took the time to add inserts and whatever other tricks they use to make the upper and lower match more consistently you can achieve that 1 MOA or better weapon.

So if the action face, recoil lug, and barrel nut are out of alignment you may or may not see accuracy issues that will actually affect performance. So basically unless it's really out of alignment the most issue you'll see is at zeroing. Where some have ran out of windage adjustment to actually get zero'd up. This can be further compounded if you have an additional issue like scope bases being out of alignment or the actual screw holes themselves.

As long as you don't have those issues and you have consistency you can be accurate. I'll go back to the off the rack M16A2 I was handed for annual qual one year when we were still using iron sights. My zero was 27 Clicks left windage. My rear sight was dang near flush to the left, but I had a zero. I shot a 238/250 with that rifle on qual day.

So like I said in the beginning, I don't believe it's worth the money unless you're getting a barrel shouldered up and you intend to compete or require the highest level of performance from your firearm.

Well put Phil. It is amusing on how many believe a floating bolthead compensates for the barrel and the action/scope mount(sight) misalignment. You did a much better job of delivering the concept than I have done for sure.

As far as truing and machining things, how many trued actions and custom actions would you find in a hunters or casual competitors safe. I have seen a bunch of them. I know a lot of smiths moving custom stuff on a regular basis. I am certain there are a lot of rifles out there that are capable of much more that what the user can do with them. Some of us build things to perform way above what is required. I am kind of like that, just not to the point of buying a custom action. I like polishing turds.

At the end of the day there is a Stevens 200 with a 7mm08 Shaw barrel and a Sightron SII Big Sky 2.5x10 in the safe that shoots 3 shot groups better than anything I have seen. Total cost 700 including the very nice glass. I sold the factory barrel and got $75 for it so that's even better. I did grind the factory lug and honed the action face but that is it.

Basic Member
    If all those issues were regular concern we wouldn't be putting together rifles in our garages with 0 training/education on the subject.... However, when you want to be a "Pro" then you start looking at what's working best for the Pros and why they choose to do it that way.

This is a savage forum right. For a moment I thought I was on the hide.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    This is a savage forum right. For a moment I thought I was on the hide.
    I just drop the knowledge and understanding in my head based on personal experience. I don't get into discussions over there, but they are usually quicker to buy Non-Savage related items over there

Basic Member
    I think most of us are perfectly content just being a "semi pro". lol
    Im interpreting the answer to my question to be if you can fine, but if you cant don't worry about it.
    Which by the way I never have.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast