Thread: opinions, is a n axis worth rebarreling ?

opinions, is a n axis worth rebarreling ?

I have an axis in 243win but am thinking of going to 243ai and 28" heavy. Do you think the savage axis action would be good for that? Or should I spend a ton on a persicion action + barrel?

Basic Member
    Only if you like your stock and trigger. Bunch more options for the 10/110 action or a custom. I want to get a custom action that takes Savage barrels.

The Axis action is pretty good and I've seen plenty that shoot small groups with factory barrels.

It all comes down to the stock options and weather you like what you have or can get what you want.

Basic Member
    Might be worth it. Jim at Apache Gun works is sponsoring a guy that shoots an axis for competition.

http://apachegunworks.com/sponsored-...yan-lewis.html

Depends on your definition of "worth."

If it's a gun you plan to keep awhile and you want a different barrel/caliber, yes. If it's something you'll likely sell off in the next year or two, no - because you'll never get that money you spent on the barrel back out of it. This pretty much applies to any gun though, not just the Axis.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Check out the thread in the Axis section by CaptnC. I think that’s right. He rebarreled an Axis to 6.5-284 and did some fantastic shooting with it at 600 yards. With the Axis having a small cut out for the ejection port significantly increases the stiffness of the action. I rebarreled a Remington 783 which is similar and it shoots amazingly. But it suffers from lack of support by after market parts vendors and a plastic trigger guard for which there is no replacement.

Quote Originally Posted by OLEJOE View Post
    Check out the thread in the Axis section by CaptnC. I think that’s right. He rebarreled an Axis to 6.5-284 and did some fantastic shooting with it at 600 yards. With the Axis having a small cut out for the ejection port significantly increases the stiffness of the action. I rebarreled a Remington 783 which is similar and it shoots amazingly. But it suffers from lack of support by after market parts vendors and a plastic trigger guard for which there is no replacement.

Just wanted to throw out some info.... There is a replacement metal trigger guard for the Axis... I have one. Ordered directly from Savage. I've replaced the barrel on mine (22-250) swapped barrel out before it needed to be even... Wanted better accuracy and got it. After market support is very lacking however.

I love the Axis, and once life settles down with my wife going to school now, I will build one. MDT has a couple of chassis for the Axis now, the LSS and ESS. Makes the platform that much more enticing!

I'm thinking of either a 22-250 with a 1:7 twist barrel, or maybe a 224 Valkyrie.

Quote Originally Posted by Buji88 View Post
    I love the Axis, and once life settles down with my wife going to school now, I will build one. MDT has a couple of chassis for the Axis now, the LSS and ESS. Makes the platform that much more enticing!

I'm thinking of either a 22-250 with a 1:7 twist barrel, or maybe a 224 Valkyrie.
    Stick with the 22-250.... The 224 Valkyrie is not turning out to be all that is was supposed to be... At least until they get the bugs worked out.

Basic Member
    Have an axis II action with accu trigger that was rebarreled to 260 rem that shot 1/2 moa at 100yards with 123 gr sst’s and now I took that barrel of and have a 338-06 barrel on it. Great guns to rebarrel and actions are not super expensive either. Great for the intended purposes that I am doing and also very accurate.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Just wanted to throw out some info.... There is a replacement metal trigger guard for the Axis... I have one. Ordered directly from Savage. I've replaced the barrel on mine (22-250) swapped barrel out before it needed to be even... Wanted better accuracy and got it. After market support is very lacking however.
    I believe that the metal axis and metal 10-110 trigger guards are the same.
    I could be wrong though. But I think when I ordered my metal one (broke the plastic) it was simply a 10/110. Worked well.

Quote Originally Posted by joebobsmith View Post
    I have an axis in 243win but am thinking of going to 243ai and 28" heavy.
    Do you think the savage axis action would be good for that? Or should I spend a ton on a precision action + barrel?
    Yes, it can be done for budget building.

$260 for a 28" blank 1 - 8 twist.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/15...6mm-centerfire

$350 threaded Shilen Barrel 243 Winchester Varmint Contour 1 in 8" Twist 26" Stainless Steel

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/51...tainless-steel

=========================
    For me if going $$$$ specialized, a 110 Savage action has better aspects once I start spending $$$$.
    Their 110 Storm or Long Range Hunter in 6.5 284 Norma does not have bad recoil.
    =========================

For hunting work, I would just buy another $300 stainless Axis in 270 Win.
    Mine weighs 8 lbs total with scope after stiffening the forend; it generates 16 lbs of felt recoil.
    It's factory stainless barrel is accurate enough for my hunting needs.

Below is my 150gr recipe that gives me 2800fps in my Axis with 44gr of Varget powder.
    I go 10 thousands off lands, OAL 3.390" 150gr Hornady Interbonds with a 0.525 BC.
    In another 270 Win rifle 10 thousands off its lands, this recipe gives me the same sub-MOA group.
    This caliber is fine for all the lower 48 game I hunt.

The Vortex Reticle is what I like in a 4-12x44 scope (Warne rings) for the 270 Win Caliber at the altitudes I hunt.
    270 Win has good energy factors, low wind drift, and low recoil going for it.
    If you don't reload, 270 Win ammo can be found in most every country supply store.

http://vortexoptics.com/product/cros...eticle/reticle

http://vortexoptics.com/uploads/web_...dc-sfp-13a.pdf

YMMV

pretty sure it was thesocialregressive that did this on youtube for a competition. If you going searching on youtube you will find it but worth a look if you haven't made your mind up yet. I understand this thread is a little old.

Basic Member
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Axis Build 2.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	51.4 KB 
ID:	4898

First rifle I ever rebuilt was a Savage Axis....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by s3silver View Post
    Might be worth it. Jim at Apache Gun works is sponsoring a guy that shoots an axis for competition.

http://apachegunworks.com/sponsored-...yan-lewis.html
    He shoots a Bighorn TL3 these days. But he did start with the Axis and ran it until he out grew it!

Quote Originally Posted by LoneWolf View Post

First rifle I ever rebuilt was a Savage Axis....
    Same here.