Thread: Savage Axis caliber change

Savage Axis caliber change

Originally this was just a plain Jane Axis I in 308w. I wanted something cheap to shoot though so I converted it to a 6.5x47. I could load and shoot it for $0.47 a pop. Not bad. And it shot fantastic. Nice one hole groups and .25moa was not at all uncommon with three shot groups.

Then I had this wildcat design come into my head and I wanted a more modern rifle that was cheap but I could convert to shoot it before I drop $$$$ into a custom action like a Kelbly Atlas. So I pulled the 6.5x47 barrel took a spare 6.5Creedmoor barrel and rechambered it for the new 6.5 BR Lapua that I designed.

Next all I had to do was modify the bolt. Axis rifles take a long action bolt body but the head is the short action type. I perches a magnum bolt head off of Midway for $24 and began to open it up for the larger rim size. The rim on this case is a .585 so I had to open the bolt face a little on the lathe. Also had to depend it a little and take a small cut on the extractor claw in the mill. I also bushed the firing pin while I was at it. Reducing its hole size from .074 to .064. Sorry I do not have any photos up of the bolt bushing. I did take photos but do not have them on the web yet. Sorta saving it to put a video together for the youtube channel.

I way underestimated what the case can do. All my loads were to low on pressure so I will have to be going back. Still with only 45.5gr of H4831SC powder it was netting me 2830fps with140gr bullets. The case still has room for about 10gr of powder more to be added. Should easily see MV in the 3100fps range.

You can see here the parent case on the left and the new 6.5BR Lapua on the right. Note This is not a 6.5x54r. Thats a french cartridge and totally different case.

Basic Member
    How long is the barrel? 30 degree shoulder? Keep us updated, neat project.

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    How long is the barrel? 30 degree shoulder? Keep us updated, neat project.
    26in barrel. yes its a 30d shoulder. Basically it forces such that the neck shoulder junction and the body shoulder junction end up in the same place even though its necked down from 7.62 to 6.5mm. A little taper is take out of the case too. Basically its has many of the characteristics of a 6mm BR. That is why Dave Kif at PTG said I should add in the BR part to the name.

Basic Member
    So what are you using as the parent case?

Basic Member
    Looks awesome. Let us know how it goes!

Quote Originally Posted by prdatr View Post
    So what are you using as the parent case?
    7.62x53r Lapua brass. I designed this to be compatible only with Lapuas brass. No other brands will work with it. I did this on purpose to keep idiots from trying to use surplus steel cases.