Thread: short chamher with brand horn brass 6.5 creed?

Basic Member

short chamher with brand horn brass 6.5 creed?

140gr HPBTC.O.A.L. 2.810” is what my sierra manual calls for and thats minimum for that bullet
    i loaded up some today using h4350
    coal was 2.810 as per manual
    i chambered an un primed case set to that length
    and hard to close bolt and a pain to open and extract
    i see either tool marks or its hitting the rifling
    is my chamber short or is it defective
    thank you all
    Last edited by legion; 05-05-2018 at 07:58 PM. Reason: factory is 2.770 and its fine

2. 05-05-2018, 11:11 PM

Reason
    duplicate post

You should be able to reduce and set a bullet deeper, however that’s not ideal in my mind. I would rather be able to seat out and load a little more. I have heard of guys getting rifles with tight chambers/throats. Might need a quick reamer run through it.

Basic Member
    thank you

Seat it deeper a little at a time until the bolt barely closes with almost no resistance on the bullet. Then seat it the amount you want it off the lands. Record the dimension you want to go by(COAL or BtO)Go have fun. That short throat comes in handy as it starts to move forward. I have no clue to why Savage short throats but it may be ideal for the 120 or 130 class bullets.

Basic Member
    My 12fv 6.5CM at the lands with a nosler 140cc OAL is 2.74. Is this new brass? Will it camber freely on empty brass(problem I created while sizing a couple of times).

Basic Member
    Does factory 140 gr. ammo chamber OK? Your dummy round -- had the unprimed case been fully resized and then the bullet seated to the called-for OAL? When confronted with a handload that won't chamber, I'd question the load before questioning the chamber. Out-of-spec chambers do happen -- but out-of-spec handloads happen a whole lot more.

If the new factory ammo fits, measure the headspace on a new unfired round, and then measure your dummy round. You will have a start and end point then for sizing brass.

Basic Member
    yes its brand new hornady brass and it chambers easily empty
    i set the the bullets at 2.64 i am definatley gonna buy the hornady coal guage
    i followed robinhoods advice i came up with 2.76 so i seated to the above
    i am no where near max charge with this bullet and h4350 so ill start testing from there
    thank u all also used a case that i opened up a bit for the bullet to slide in and came up with pretty much the same measurements as robinhood suggested in his advice

Basic Member
    i used unprimed new hornady brass
    my nosler factory cartridges coal is 1.750 with a 140 grain cc they chamber fine
    i didnt fl resize my hornady brass as it is new and dont think it needs fl sizing
    my dummy round was a unprimed out of box hornady i used sierra match king hpbt 140 according to my manuals hornady sierra lee and lyman they show coal as 2.810 down to 2.800
    i chambered my dummy round at 2.810 according to sierras data for that bullet and powder manual states that this is minumum coal for that load
    sharpied it and chambered it and it came out at 2.76 measured it several times so i was concerned that i had a short chamber and since seating the bullet deeper then the manuals state i feel i need to keep the load weight way less not a big deal at the moment as im starting working up the load
    i set the bullet at 2.64 , the hornady brass and the factory load both protrude .130 from the breech of the barrel using a depth mic making me believe that i had a short chamber
    as that i believe is proper way to check chamber depth but was wondering why i had to seat so short
    im no expert but was looking for advice from members and i appreciate all the help

Basic Member
    Are you sure the factory ammo is 1.750? It seems very odd to me that a factory load would be a full 1 inch-plus shorter than the COAL for a reload of the same bullet weight. 2.75 vs. 2.81 makes more sense to me and seating the bullet .06 shorter than specified to make it work wouldn't necessarily be any big deal.

2.730 would have been fine if your lands were at 2.760. 2.640 reads like you have a .120 jump

Basic Member
    my apology 2.750

Basic Member
    wow yet another mis type lol its 2.740 sry robinhood .020 not 2.640

Merged your two threads as there's no need to have the same exact discussion going in two separate boards.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

COL will give you some resistance. But if it is "hard to close the bolt" that might be a headspace issue (rubs on the shoulder - overall length doesn't matter).

Time for the 'ol candle soot test. With your unprimed round set the overall length as you like it and use a candle to put soot on the bullet and shoulder of the cartridge. When you cycle it through the action (place it in the chamber - don't run it through the magazine) is the soot removed all around the bullet? And, is it worn around the shoulder of the case? One or two drag marks don't count. Look for larger amounts worn away.

If you really want to check it out invest in a Hornady Comparator w/modified 6.5CM case and a headspace bushing (i don't recall whether that calls for 0.375" or 0.400" - check SAAMI) for the 6.5CM

Looks like 0.400"
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    That's a very short chamber. Happens more than it should in Savages. With the 140 ELDs and the SAAMI spec .199 freebore chamber I am at 2.870" touching the lands. If you are touching with the 140 BTHP at factory length then the chamber is short. Savage will fix it for you as they have others. I wouldn't want to seat the bullet that short and take up my powder space.

Here you go Stump assasin

Hornady Headspace Tool Bushing size Chart

G .240"
    17 Hornet

A .330"
    17 Remington
    204 Ruger
    221 Remington Fireball
    222 Remington
    222 Remington Magnum
    223 Remington
    220 Swift
    B .350"
    22 PPC
    22-250 Remington
    6mm PPC
    6mm Bench Rest Remington
    250-3000 Savage
    7mm Bench Rest Remington
    300 Blackout
    6.5 Grendel

C .375"
    6mm Remington
    257 Roberts
    25-06 Remington
    270 Winchester
    7 X 57mm Mauser
    280 Remington
    30-30 Winchester
    30-06 Springfield
    300 H & H Magnum
    7.62 X 39 British
    6.5 X 55mm Swedish Mauser
    7mm Winchester Short Magnum
    30-40 Krag
    6.5 Creedmoor
    6.5mm X 47 Lapua

D .400"
    223 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    243 Winchester
    243 Winchester Super Short Magnum
    260 Remington
    270 Winchester Short Magnum
    7mm-08 Remington
    300 Savage
    308 Winchester
    35 Remington

E .420"
    6.5mm-284
    284 Winchester
    7mm Remington Magnum
    7mm Remington Ultra Magnum
    300 Winchester Short Magnum
    300 Weatherby Magnum
    325 Winchester Short Magnum
    338 Winchester Magnum
    350 Remington Magnum
    375 H & H Magnum
    264 Winchester Magnum
    7mm Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    7mm Shooting Times Westerner
    300 Remington Short Action Ultra Magnum
    300 Winchester Magnum
    300 Remington Ultra Magnum
    8mm Remington Magnum
    338 Remington Ultra Magnum
    35 Whelen

Basic Member
    It will work with the D bushing as well. Hornady says both work. I use the D myself but as long as you use just one or the other and don't try and go back and forth you will be fine.

I think Savage’s chambers are all different. I don’t know if it’s from using a worn reamer or what. I’ve heard of a lot of short chambers or short leade into the rifling. You really need to get a Hornady LNL OAL gauge so you can check the brass and Base To Ogive length of the chamber and a loaded round.

Basic Member
    thanks fellas i will invest in the hornady guage asap and a the proper guages for this caliber as i have just got into this cartridge and its my first savage
    cheers to u all