Thread: Converting a single shot to detachable mag?

Converting a single shot to detachable mag?

I have a 112 competition (single shot 308) that I like very much, but I would like to try a PRS match, and I think that I need a detachable magazine for that. I suppose I could just trade for a rifle that is already set up for a removable magazine which I will if or there is some reason can't do this conversion, but the appeal of having a unique rifle especially one that I built myself does have a lot of appeal.

It seems like it might be a fairly straightforward task to cut a hole in the stock and then trim to fit the bottom metal. Do I have to do anything special with the action to make this work, and does anyone have any suggestions or tips on which bottom metal might be better or worse for this?

Team Savage
    If it's a true "single shot action", keep it and go find another rig that will do what you want without any mods. Lots of folks are after "single shot actions".
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.

Yes, it is a true single shot action. I have considered trading it but because it's not the latest tactical Wonder, nobody's offering anything close to it's value.
    That's where I came about the idea of converting it because right now it's worth more to me as a working gun. If I can find a way to convert this thing using the factory stock to a detachable box magazine, I think I would have a fairly unique gun

If you have a mill and can use it, If you have a friend with a mill and can use it, you are in business. If not, you will need to have a smith do it for you. Both the stock and the action. You will need to purchase the magazine and/or a DBM frame and cover. I'm, guessing 350 to 550 at the end of the day.

Basic Member
    Quit encouraging him. Don't cut up a single action! Couple of weeks ago a guy was asking about welding up his repeater. People love doing things the hard way.

Team Savage
    Sent you a PM

Bill

Basic Member
    I've done it before, its not economical at all unless you can do it yourself without buying any tooling.

Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    Quit encouraging him. Don't cut up a single action! Couple of weeks ago a guy was asking about welding up his repeater. People love doing things the hard way.
    It is really no big deal. It is what a LRP action is.

Team Savage
    Barry, I've sent you a PM. Please don't cut up that action!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    It is really no big deal. It is what a LRP action is.
    Ya think? Note he said 112 single-shot action, NOT 12 single-shot action. Long-acton single-shot actions are pretty rare birds if indeed that's what it is.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Yeah, I missed that point, and ya'll are right. It is not the same.

Team Savage
    Barry........where are you??????

Sorry for the delay, apparently I wasn't getting any notifications for either private messages or thread responses.
    My main argument against just selling or trading this gun for something else boils down to the fact that apparently everybody that wants a single shot also wants a screaming deal on a single shot. That option seems to buy me the worst of both options.

Me: Hey dude I'll give you 250 dollars for that action/Rifle.
    You: Did you read my ad. It said now low ball offers. Price stands at 650.00 American. Thanks though.

No problem.

Huh? I know I am new here, but that makes no sense...LOL. But it does neatly address the issue. In my lifetime, the way in which I have been magically able to affect the value of guns is nothing short of astounding. I don't even get mad about it anymore, but I do tend to figure the "Barry owns this" Depreciation multiplier in whenever I buy a gun. The reason that I am considering converting this instead of sell/buy/trade is that, although I paid a fair price based on the book, the odds that I could get that back are so vanishingly small that I might as well do the conversion and have the rifle that I want and just try not to think about costs and values. Just to be clear, I am not interested in taking apart my complete rifle just so someone can get a deal on my (allegedly) rare action. Which brings me to my current question.

So, the problem with doing this conversion myself is that I am just now learning (slowly and not well) the lingo, and I am not at all confident in getting the correct parts on the first try because nobody seems to make a kit to do the dumbass conversion I am attempting. I ran across this thread and it explained a bit. From what I gather, I am looking at a long action gun that will use short 308 AICS magazines? It would have been more helpful is photobrokeit had not broken every image on the internet, but I got the idea. Is CDI a reputable smith/shop for this conversion?

CDI will open up your stock for you to accept their bottom metal kit, but as far as I know they don't do action work (don't think they have an FFL to receive it either, but I may be wrong).

To everyone else: It's his rifle/action, he can do whatever he wants with it. Accept it and let it go please.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Ya think? Note he said 112 single-shot action, NOT 12 single-shot action. Long-acton single-shot actions are pretty rare birds if indeed that's what it is.
    LOL, this is my problem, it is a rare bird and worth something until I try to sell/trade it, then its mumble, mumble and nobody's actually interested. As many guns as I have rendered utterly worthless by virtue of owning them, I must have bankrupted an entire section of the industry single (shot) handedly. I have been told that my original, carried in WWI by my great grandfather, low 5 digit serial number 1911 is "only worth $300 or so and thats being Generous..."

I think I am just going to go buy a RPR, at least it will start out relatively worthless...

Team Savage
    (I think I am just going to go buy a RPR, at least it will start out relatively worthless...)
    Keep the worthless rig you have (
    ) and go find something that will do what you want it to do without any mods.
    EVERYBODY is looking for something for nothing. If you try to sell your rig but can't seem to get out of it what you want/think it's worth or paid for it, it won't cost you anything to keep it stashed for later.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.