Thread: Bought a 110 in .30-06 by accident, 4 digit SN, no letter, no accutrigger...

Basic Member

Bought a 110 in .30-06 by accident, 4 digit SN, no letter, no accutrigger...

Got money and went to spend some...went to pick up an old Winchester 94 the shop had set aside for me, when I saw a clean older Savage 110 in .30-06...wearing a plastic stock, no accutrigger. 4 number SN has no letter prefix, 52xx...
    Beautiful gloss blue, great bore, no obvious damage or repairs...Under $300.
    I had one like it...no Accu Trigger...many years ago, and sold it...never did care for the A T.
    So I bought the Savage110 and left the Winchester 94...
    Just finished cleaning it up, and it's even nicer than I thought...FWIW, the stock is a Ramline, Redfield 1 piece scope mount and a Lyman American 4x fixed power scope...
    I'm thinking the rifle was made in the 1990's, maybe earlier???
    Any thoughts on the date? Thanks.
    MS

Basic Member
    At the top of the "110 Series Bolt Action Rifles" page there is a sticky for dating Savage rifles. Take a look there.

No letter prefix indicates that it is Pre-68.

Does it have the barrel bump at the rear sight? How about an odd looking bolt head? Does the snout of the bolt head go into a counterbored portion of the barrel/chamber?

Those are all indications of a pre-68 action.

Quote Originally Posted by geargrinder View Post
    Does it have the barrel bump at the rear sight? How about an odd looking bolt head? Does the snout of the bolt head go into a counterbored portion of the barrel/chamber?

Those are all indications of a pre-68 action.
    Actually, those would be indications of a pre-1966 action.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Actually, a 4 digit serial # would be more like pre 1960.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    It has all those features - the rear sight bump is what made me decide to buy it.
    I once had another pretty old Savage 110 .30-06, and it was THE most accurate rife I ever owned. Hoping this one will be similar. This 110 has a different look and feel from my previous 110's...Very solid and a little heavier...
    Looking for a 6x fixed power scope for it now to replace that old glass...
    SO...this is pre - 1960, and they started making them in '58...Hmmm. Thanks!
    MS

added- the sticky covers those SN's with a letter prefix...this does not have one, just the 4 numbers beginning with 5...

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=
    added- the sticky covers those SN's with a letter prefix...this does not have one, just the 4 numbers beginning with 5...[/QUOTE]

I guess I could have pointed that out but I was just too lazy to type a detailed explanation.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    It has all those features - the rear sight bump is what made me decide to buy it.
    I once had another pretty old Savage 110 .30-06, and it was THE most accurate rife I ever owned. Hoping this one will be similar. This 110 has a different look and feel from my previous 110's...Very solid and a little heavier...
    Looking for a 6x fixed power scope for it now to replace that old glass...
    SO...this is pre - 1960, and they started making them in '58...Hmmm. Thanks!
    MS

added- the sticky covers those SN's with a letter prefix...this does not have one, just the 4 numbers beginning with 5...
    Actually, they started making them in 1957, I own one verified to be the 71st Savage 110 produced. There are no alpha characters preceding any 4 or 5 digit serial numbers on 110s (maybe even some early 6 digit serial numbers too). The Accutrigger showed up several decades later.

There should be two stamps on the barrel one is the proof stamp (circle with SP inside) which follows the caliber designation and the other is the inspector's stamp which precedes the text "Proof tested...". The inspector's stamp is a circle with two digits followed by a letter. This is the one to pay attention to and the letter will tell you the year and you can decode from the chart elsewhere on the site. This, of course, assumes the rifle still wears the same barrel it left the factory with.

Alpha character before serial numbers started after Dec 1968 - hhttp://www.savageshooters.com/showthread.php?55695-Dating-Serial-Numbers-with-a-Letter-Prefix

Barrel code chart can be seen in this post - http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...arly-110-Lefty

My '57 can be seen here.
    Last edited by PhilC; 05-04-2018 at 10:52 AM. Reason: correct typo

Basic Member
    Original barrel, code is 11j, seems to be 1958, so 60 years old, made when I was 11.
    Carrying it's age better than I am.

Any reports on how these "old models' shoot?

..Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by dogngun View Post
    Original barrel, code is 11j, seems to be 1958, so 60 years old, made when I was 11.
    Carrying it's age better than I am.

Any reports on how these "old models' shoot?

..Thanks again.
    Mine shoots very well.

Team Savage

Mine too and I really like the "smooth as butter" action.

Basic Member
    Thanks! Putting a 3 x9 Simmons on it till something better turns up...
    looking forward to shooting it

Give us a range report when you can. My 1958 SA 110 in .308 Winchester shoots .75" groups @ 100 yards all day long.

I also have an early 110 serial 85xx. I was wondering if any one could help with a replacement trigger that can fit into a choate ultimate sniper stock as original would not fit. I know I need to replace most of the hardware. I have seen threads with similar questions but no links to good parts kits. Thanks.