Thread: MSR 10 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor not ejecting shells

Question MSR 10 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor not ejecting shells

Greetings,

I just purchased a new Savage MSR 10 Long Range in 6.5 Creedmoor.

In the first 6 rounds fired, 3 of the shells would not eject from the chamber, and had to be tapped out through the bore using a cleaning rod.

I thought that perhaps the gas pressure was set too low, so I increased it by three clicks. Now the ejector break off a section of the cartridge rim, indicating that the pressure should be turned back down.

In all cases (excuse the pun), the cartridge case remains in the chamber. It is almost like the chamber is a tad too narrow for the cartridge.

BTW, I am shooting 140 grain Seller & Bellot tactical ammuntion. And yes, I did clean the rifle before my first shot.

Have any of you MSR 10 users run into this?

Any ideas would really be appreciated!!

Thanks

SteveLorb

Could be hot ammo resulting in high pressure, a slightly rough chamber, or something else. First I would try some different ammunition and see if the problem repeats itself. If so you know it's an issue with the rifle and not the ammo, and at that point it's time to contact Savage to have it checked over by them. If you don't get the problem with the new ammo you know it's S&B ammo so just stop shooting that ammo.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

I've ran into similar issues with other rifles in the past. More often than not, a light polishing of the chamber with a bore mop and some Flitz has cures the problem. Just make sure you don't get into the barrel lands if you decide to give this a try.

Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    Could be hot ammo resulting in high pressure, a slightly rough chamber, or something else. First I would try some different ammunition and see if the problem repeats itself. If so you know it's an issue with the rifle and not the ammo, and at that point it's time to contact Savage to have it checked over by them. If you don't get the problem with the new ammo you know it's S&B ammo so just stop shooting that ammo.
    +1

There was discussion over on snipers hide about S&B's 6.5 ammo. It gets overwhelming bad reviews due to overpressure. The bolt gun guys are getting really sticky hard bolt lifts and ejector marks. And it isn't even fast to back it up, it's slower than a lot of the other brands out there haha.

It's a shame, because if they (S&B) fixed it they would sell a pile of that stuff for how affordable it is.