Thread: What is it ( SS .223 )

Basic Member

What is it ( SS .223 )

Friend told me of a new Savage .223 at a LGS about 60 miles away. Suppose to be a 16 series, Black Accu Stock (not Accu Fit), SS medium taper barrel and a hinged floor plate under the mag. What might it be? I'm looking for a .223 heavy barrel for Prairie Dog hunting with DBM. Should I consider this rifle or go for a 57066 Varmint ? Are there any options of converting to AICS mags on any of the Savage models in .223 ? Steve

Basic Member
    Probably this one....
    Savage 16 Trophy Hunter SS

https://www.kygunco.com/Product/View?ItemNo=98612

Probably 16 Weather Warrior which was the predecessor to the current 110 Storm.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kabong57 View Post
    Friend told me of a new Savage .223 at a LGS about 60 miles away. Suppose to be a 16 series, Black Accu Stock (not Accu Fit), SS medium taper barrel and a hinged floor plate under the mag. What might it be? I'm looking for a .223 heavy barrel for Prairie Dog hunting with DBM. Should I consider this rifle or go for a 57066 Varmint ? Are there any options of converting to AICS mags on any of the Savage models in .223 ? Steve
    I bought a Savage 12FV or right around $300 with rebates and sale a couple years ago. Trashed the factory plastic stock and dropped it into a Choate Tactical with CDI Bottom Metal and presto, AICS Mags now. I think you can either go Choate or Boyds and CDI will inlet the stock for free (please verify) or http://cdiprecisiongunworksstore.com/ as long as you are buying the bottom metal from them.

12FVs can be had on sale right now for 319.97 at Cabelas or BassPro. Best bang for your buck

Basic Member
    I only found the .223 12FV available @ Cabela's . Have not found the option to have it shipped to my nearby Bass Pro Shop. How to make that happen?

I think the FV12's at BPS are 6.5CM & 308 only.

I only found the .223 12FV available @ Cabela's . Have not found the option to have it shipped to my nearby Bass Pro Shop. How to make that happen?
    see update below

I was just in BPS today and they had .223s there also. As mentioned in the "12FV threadfest" they have all calibers, their online inventory system simply does not work.