Thread: Savage 12FV custom build: what to add

Basic Member

Savage 12FV custom build: what to add

I decided to go with a more custom build on my 12FV 6.5 Creed. Biggest reason is the barrel. It shoots .5" groups at 100, but I have cold bore issues. Every time I hit the range with a cold/fouled bore, I'm about 2" left. Second shot brings it closer to center, then shots 3 and on are as I zeroed it. That simply isn't going to work on a hunting rifle where the first shot is meant to count.

I debated customizing it, or dumping it and buying a Tikka CTR 24" 6.5. I decided spending $1,100 on a new gun doesn't make sense since I already have a perfectly good action that cost me $320. I imagine that spending some money on the Savage would get me a better custom package for around the same price as a factory Tikka.

Spoke with a smith yesterday about it and he said it's very likely a barrel issue, so that's the start of the build. Decided to go for a Bartlein stainless barrel, 24" Benchmark #5 and stick with 6.5 Creed. He's going to install the barrel, plus cerakote the action and do a little work to it for $650.

He also makes custom stocks, so I'll get one for the gun as well.

I'm thinking about some other mods we can do to the gun. I need opinions on the cost vs performance increases I would gain by going with a new recoil lug and/or bolt lift kit....Worth the price to upgrade those, or not a big performance gain?

Any other upgrades/mods I should consider?

I went with the new precision recoil lug and slotted barrel nut when I ordered my aftermarket CBI. It's a 1/4 MOA rifle at 450 yards so far. Bolt lift kit is over rated in my opinion... I just put an over sized handle on mine, cycles easy enough that I don't even have to break my cheek weld now.

Basic Member
    I think you're on the right track. Drop $26 for a tactical bolt handle from Savage, and a bolt lift kit from one of several suppliers. Or you can make one with a 38 cal case and a ball bearing. Takes about 10 minutes and works great. I lift my bolt handle with my extended index finger. That easy. Unless you're shooting Bench Rest competitively, a light bolt lift is a non issue. But that's no reason to not try to lighten yours, IMOP.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Team Savage
    A SSS comp trigger is a great addition

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drybean View Post
    A SSS comp trigger is a great addition
    They quit making them. I tried a Timney on this gun and didn’t like it. I don’t mind the accutrigger honestly. I have mine set for right around 1.5 lbs and breaks clean to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Anytime you remove a factory installed barrel, I believe it is worth the $30 for a trued heavy duty recoil lug. Can't hurt, might help.

Team Savage
    Quote Originally Posted by freediver111 View Post
    They quit making them. I tried a Timney on this gun and didn’t like it. I don’t mind the accutrigger honestly. I have mine set for right around 1.5 lbs and breaks clean to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Tactical Works has them in stock, just bought 2

Basic Member
    I would also recommend the SSS Comp trigger.

I'm partial to the rifle basix sav 2.
    "An armed society is a polite society"
    "...shall not be infringed" What's the confusion?

A bolt lift kit is always a good thing. I have always felt that shortening the BAS was a requirement. Or you can add a spacer to make up the added stack length.