I decided to go with a more custom build on my 12FV 6.5 Creed. Biggest reason is the barrel. It shoots .5" groups at 100, but I have cold bore issues. Every time I hit the range with a cold/fouled bore, I'm about 2" left. Second shot brings it closer to center, then shots 3 and on are as I zeroed it. That simply isn't going to work on a hunting rifle where the first shot is meant to count.

I debated customizing it, or dumping it and buying a Tikka CTR 24" 6.5. I decided spending $1,100 on a new gun doesn't make sense since I already have a perfectly good action that cost me $320. I imagine that spending some money on the Savage would get me a better custom package for around the same price as a factory Tikka.

Spoke with a smith yesterday about it and he said it's very likely a barrel issue, so that's the start of the build. Decided to go for a Bartlein stainless barrel, 24" Benchmark #5 and stick with 6.5 Creed. He's going to install the barrel, plus cerakote the action and do a little work to it for $650.

He also makes custom stocks, so I'll get one for the gun as well.

I'm thinking about some other mods we can do to the gun. I need opinions on the cost vs performance increases I would gain by going with a new recoil lug and/or bolt lift kit....Worth the price to upgrade those, or not a big performance gain?

Any other upgrades/mods I should consider?