Thread: sear pin

Basic Member

sear pin

been around savage rifles awhile now, i have a cabelas 10T in a bell & Carlson 2997 stock, i noticed my trigger got real light and when i closed the bolt fast it would be like a slam fire, i took it apart and saw the pin that goes thru the sear backed out to almost out of the hole on the sear, i did correct it by instaling a tight plastic washer over the end of the pin, only reason i see how this can work it's way out is probably because the inside of the stock has too mych clearance in the area where the sear pins. is this possible or any other reason this pin can work its way over

chet

Basic Member
    It could be in from the opposite side. On the top release sear, the head of the pin should be on the lever side, just the opposite for the bottom release.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Following up on sharpshooter's advice; The pin most always want to work itself in the same direction, install it so that it stops at the action and not the stock. The pin dragging on the stock may have mechanical input into trigger/sear release function and timing, resulting in shooter induced POI change. Small changes might give insignificant rsults to some but might be real important to others.
    With my horse-crap bench manners often little things including sear pin drag "maybe" be the cause of opened groups (at least knowing that it is not dragging gives one less thing for me to blame) (lol).
    my .02,
    Randy