Thread: Savage 116 Stock issue

Cavtrooper94

Savage 116 Stock issue

Today i disassembled my 116 Weather Warrior in 338 to clean it. When I reassembled it it seems that the screw that tightens the rear of the trigger assembly has stripped out. The place it screws into is just the plastic of the stock. Anybody have a good idea of how to fix this? It looks like maybe I could drill it out and fill it with some kind of stronger epoxy, but I've never done anything like that. This is a definite design flaw on an otherwise pretty tough rifle. I've been dragging it through some pretty rough country up here in AK. Can anybody help? I just bought this rifle a few months ago.

Re: Savage 116 Stock issue

Get a wood screw one size larger and screw in place.Really no need to remove as it only holds the trigger gaurd on.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Cavtrooper94

I may have to as a last resort. I would like to make it a little more solid though.

Elkbane

Fill the existing hole with two-part epoxy and wait for it to fully cure. Drill a new lead hole the size of the shank on your existing screw. Coat the screw threads with wax and carefully turn it in. It won't be much more solid than the original, but at least you have some virgin material for the threads to bite - you have to be careful about overtightening that screw. It also helps to tighten down the action bolt (at the fromt of the trigger guard) first so you get a good sense of the amount of tension for installing the rear screw....
    Elkbane

Harriershot

This is the way I would do it. First I would drill a significantly larger diameter hole than is already there. Then fill the hole with JB Weld or Devcon 10110 steel epoxy, I would coat the trigger guard with Kiwi neutral shoe polish or car wax. I would tape the guard tightly into place. Then I would coat the screw with kiwi or wax and install into place. Once it all has dried you will have a real good anchor point for the screw.

Charlie

mnt_buc_hntr

Quote Originally Posted by Harriershot
    This is the way I would do it. First I would drill a significantly larger diameter hole than is already there. Then fill the hole with JB Weld or Devcon 10110 steel epoxy, I would coat the trigger guard with Kiwi neutral shoe polish or car wax. I would tape the guard tightly into place. Then I would coat the screw with kiwi or wax and install into place. Once it all has dried you will have a real good anchor point for the screw.

Charlie
    This is just my oppinon but i think if you do it this way. if you screw the screw in before your material dries it would prob be lose or move. I would wait for epoxy to dry then drill pilot hole, wax screw, and put in place and dont over tighten