Thread: Savage L.A. in a remington stock?

Team Savage

Savage L.A. in a remington stock?

So I got a wild hair to try and modify and old wood remington stock I have laying around to fit a savage long action. Has anyone tried this? It looks like the rear action screw and tang line up so it would just take a little modifying of the front screw hole and lug recess. (Pillars and a bed job should do it.) Anyone tried this? It's more for a "I wonder if I can make it work" kind of thing. :)

Basic Member
    The bolt handle cut is is the wrong spot.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

rear action screw is at the front of the trigger guard.

Team Savage
    So I am realizing that the Remington stock I have is NOT a Remington stock. I don't know what kind it is for sure, maybe a savage short action, but I think I can make it work. Looking at an actual Remington stock I can see that you are right. There are several places it will not work. Sorry to have wasted your time because I am a knothead! But thank you for the replies!!

Basic Member
    There are plenty of us knot heads around here! I am sure plenty others have considered the same thing as you, otherwise we would never get any answers.
    In my closet is an old wood short action (4.25 spacing) Savage stock. I once thought about your "conversion" to a LA but never really measured it up.
    I would be interested to know if it can be done neatly and if it has already been done (I am sure it has). Keep us posted on your outcome if you go through with it.
    Randy

Quote Originally Posted by mnbogboy2 View Post
    There are plenty of us knot heads around here! I am sure plenty others have considered the same thing as you, otherwise we would never get any answers.
    I confess.