I searched for a similar topic but did not find one. I am planning on working up a load for my stock Savage MSR 224 Recon. Specifically I plan on using once-fired Federal brass, the Nosler 80gr HPBT competition bullet, CCI 400 small-rifle primers, and VV N133 powder. I plan on shooting a ladder and looking for a node while watching for overpressure. I might crimp the bullets, not sure yet. I'll sort bullets and brass for weight and weigh each load to 1/10th grain.

I am not super-impressed with the performance of the Federal 90gr Sierra in that I cannot get it to shoot a sub-MOA group at 100yds. I have shot at least one box of all of the Federal 224 offerings and the lighter factory Federal shoots better. Compared to my 223 Savage 12BVSS 223 it is not even close. Yes it is an AR vs a varmint bolt gun but I am not seeing the as-advertised amazing accuracy yet. Based on reading around, and Sierra's recommendations for the 90gr match bullet (1:6.5" twist or faster) I am going to pursue an 80 gr bullet and push the velocity to a node without overpressure signs. I do not want to go really light on bullets because the aforementioned 12BVSS 223 already shoots 10-shot sub-MOA groups with 50gr V-Max Black Hills (remanufactured) ammo. If I want light bullets, I'll just shoot that.

So, question is, is anyone trying 80 gr bullets in lieu of holding out for a 1:6.5" twist barrel? The goal here is to tap into the improved BC and long range that is supposed to be there with the 224 vs the 223.

Thanks

Here is the Nosler bullet
http://shop.nosler.com/nosler-bullet...let-100ct.html