Thread: Which loads to develop

Basic Member

Which loads to develop

Following the directions to find ocw for my 12 LRP in 6.5 CM , I shot the following targets using h4350, Hornady 140gr eld'sl,shot at 100 yards the only difference is charge weight as shown in the pics. Very new to reloading so any advice welcome.

Basic Member
    How far off/in the lands, OAL? What brass? looks like that gun will shoot!

Basic Member
    Hornady brass.... .30 off the lands

Providing your 100% positive your completely stable to remove human error, I'd go lighter than 39.6. I've found excellent results slowing the 140s down. I know there's another accuracy node at higher speeds but if your not sending them out to one mile then I see no need for increased speeds, higher pressures, and shortened barrel life. Others have found accuracy at highers speeds, self included, but I've since opted for the slower speeds. My 2 cents.

My advise for what it is worth drop the load to 40.6 ( get rid of verticle ), then set them at .022- .025 off the lands.
    I think that will close up your group and only take a couple of FPS off your speed.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Basic Member
    So whats the consensus on the best group out of those?
    I guess i am somewhat confused with the replys.
    I personaly like the last one best and would probably try even a little hotter load.
    Maybe try a little closer seating depth first.
    See what it does at 300, and be more concerned about that.
    IMOP the cartridge is designed to impress critters way out there, not guys at the 100 yd range.

Basic Member
    According to Hogdon you are 1.5 grains over max. load on #6 group. That said I would be miking all the brass at the web to see if the bases are stretching. At what temps are you shooting this load? 40 degrees f or 70 f, I ask because if you are at 40 and then go varmint hunting at 80 you may have a problem opening the bolt. For me I like the #4 group the best. Also I will be doing the same thing you are soon, have a new 6.5 coming and I will be working on hunting loads for it.

Group 6... up your charge if you can (pressure signs will determine) I got 42.5 in the Hornady brass... (shooting 260 Rem) I shoot the 143 ELD-X @ .004 off the lands.

Basic Member
    #4 gets my vote if that group is repeatable. Thing is, you have several groups that could have just had a flier in there that ruined it. A group of 5 may have given you a better baseline.

Rosewood

Basic Member
    Hornady manual list max @ 41.5 gr of h4350....being new to reloading I'm not sure I'm not sure I'm comfortable exceeding that now. I am looking for a long distance load ....out to 1k is the goal but I do not hunt..

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    Hornady manual list max @ 41.5 gr of h4350....being new to reloading I'm not sure I'm not sure I'm comfortable exceeding that now. I am looking for a long distance load ....out to 1k is the goal but I do not hunt..
    Do what your comfortable doing until you gain more confidence.
    Just remember this, your gun will tell you when it's had enough, so listen to that before any manual.
    First signs of even a slightly sticky bolt, STOP, and back up.
    If your goal is long range, by all means do your testing at 300 and not 100.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Butch View Post
    You will get "braver" with time. I have had loads within manual specs that were clearly over pressure. The book isn't always right and different guns act differently. Take your time though. Looking at your loads, I don't think you need to go higher myself. Your chronograph is also your friend, if you ever see an abnormal jump in velocity, it is a good indication you have a pressure problem or something is wrong.

Rosewood

Some things to consider.
    What is the longest range close you?
    Goals and expectations. How accurate do you want to be and at what range.
    What platform will help you get there? A strong stable stock? A heavy barrel for extended ranges(as in match or shooting steel ) or hunting barrel for short strings of fire to hunt with. Or just a little target shooting. Hobby etc.

I would underline yobucks advice.

Reloading is a great hobby for lots of different types of shooting and personalities. It can be done on the cheap for all but the highest expectations. Extremely accurate powder weights, neck tension consistency and sizing can make a big difference if shooting at extended ranges. for 100 yards its no big deal.

Basic Member
    Another suggestion, this one regarding targets. There's an old saying, "aim small, miss small", so I would move away from the 3 inch diameter dots and use 1 inch or smaller, particularly at 100 yds. I'd use the small black patching dots at 100 and one inch dots at 200 and 300. You want your point of impact to be slightly away from the dot so you don't mess up your aim point with bullet holes.

I think you'll see an immediate improvement in your groups size, and get more reliable data for your load performance.

Good luck, and welcome to the land of the barrel nut.
    Banning a gun will not solve what is a mental health crisis inflamed by incendiary rhetoric on social and television media. The first amendment in this case is less precious and more likely the causal factor than the second amendment.

Basic Member
    Well there are other things to consider also.
    #1 if your main purpose is to have fun then you will, even on a not so good day.
    If your main purpose is to be recognized as being very good, you will only be having fun if you've had a very good day, or at least better than your buddy. (Best not to get your wife involved.) lol
    #2 A little known( fact) about long range is that it aint really all that hard, unless you choose to make it so, and if it was, not many could do it.
    #3 Every Savage owner has shot record size L/R groups, but just not when they would count as a record size group.
    There is one more fact you wont hear said very often. That would be that if you can consistently shoot even 1" 100 yd groups, then
    you will do just fine hitting gallon size milk jugs at 1000 yds (i didn't say every time).
    And on the days that you cant, the better shooters wont be either.
    Which all adds up to one thing, your ready, just find a place and go do it.
    You are probably within a couple hours drive of Ridgeway PA, check out the website of the Ridgeway rifle club.
    Members can use the range all day every day there isn't a match. Put clay birds on the berms at any distance you choose, and shoot at them all day from benches under a roof. Elk co is also the heart of the PA elk range area.