Thread: Savage To Stop Making Short Action Models?

Basic Member

Savage To Stop Making Short Action Models?

Someone on another forum opined that Savage was planning on ceasing production on short action models, and only making long action models.

For the forum Boss or anyone else, any rumors you'd care to deny or confirm?

double post
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

They'll still be making short actions but they did change their model number designations. Pretty much anything based on the 110 action be it long action or short action will be a "110" regardless of action length.

Of course with the crazy stuff they've been doing over the last few years, they'll probably make a liar out of me soon enough.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Basic Member
    That was my understanding as well. Just as the savages from 60 years ago could be found in short and long actions but we're called 110.personally, I don't understand the change.

Quote Originally Posted by zloe View Post
    That was my understanding as well. Just as the savages from 60 years ago could be found in short and long actions but we're called 110.personally, I don't understand the change.
    Check that data. You will find something different is true.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Check that data. You will find something different is true.
    What part?
    Thanks.

I was basing my post on the following information and my personal experience which has found the info to be accurate.

http://www.savageshooters.com/conten...Action-Lengths

You know, I forgot about those 1st generation going back that far. Crow taste very similar to open range chicken.

Basic Member
    Ha Ha. Well, technically I should have said 59 years.

Basic Member
    OK, feed the newbie. Long actions will still have 3 digits in the model number, but short actions will too? Last I knew, 10,12 16, etc. were short actions, 110, 112, 116 etc. were long actions. Other than the obvious length difference, and mounting hole spacing, how are we supposed to tell the difference for parts ordering and such?

Thanks, a relative newbie, RED

Basic Member
    ^^^^Good question. Ask Savage. Stupidity at it's worst.

Now that Savage is owned by "bean counters", has the quality suffered like Marlin did? It's been a while since I bought a new Savage.

Is there a possibility that Savage wants to use 2-digit identifiers forntheir MSR series? If so, it seems they could have found a less confusing approach so that classic boltgunners not have to check a lot of detail before being sure they are looking at short or long action rifles.

Basic Member
    I don't think Savage will ever get away from making changes to how they identify their actions or how they design them. That is why aftermarket support is so difficult when it comes to Savage actions. round back, flat back, top safety, bottom safety, 4.2", 4.4", accu-trigger, non-accu trigger, LA, SA,... There's so many things to consider you have to be or find a subject matter expert in models just to select a compatible part.

My understanding is that all part numbers will be based on the 3 digit "110" identifier, but SA or LA will be identified by models. I'll try to find the post Jim made about this a few weeks back.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GaCop View Post
    Now that Savage is owned by "bean counters", has the quality suffered like Marlin did? It's been a while since I bought a new Savage.
    No.

I don't care for some of their design changes (bottom bolt release, smooth nut, etc.), but they are actually better quality, as far as I am concerned.

3 digits for all the NEW 110 models - long or short. It's no different than it was in the beginning, or any different than the Winchester Model 70 or Remington Model 700 not having different model #'s for short and long actions. Action length is dictated purely by the cartridge the rifle is chambered in as it should be.

The only way Savage will ever get themselves out of this cluster-phudge would be to come out with a completely different action with it's own unique screw spacing and such, give it a completely different model number, and totally abandon everything they've done before as far as model designations goes. It could still have the basic design features of the 110 (floating bolt head, barrel nut, etc), but it would have to be sufficiently unique in that there would be no parts compatibility with the old models.

Of course that would open up a new can of worms as the aftermarket would take forever to develop products for the new model out of fear Savage would change things yet again.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by J.Baker View Post
    3 digits for all the NEW 110 models - long or short. It's no different than it was in the beginning, or any different than the Winchester Model 70 or Remington Model 700 not having different model #'s for short and long actions. Action length is dictated purely by the cartridge the rifle is chambered in as it should be.

The only way Savage will ever get themselves out of this cluster-phudge would be to come out with a completely different action with it's own unique screw spacing and such, give it a completely different model number, and totally abandon everything they've done before as far as model designations goes. It could still have the basic design features of the 110 (floating bolt head, barrel nut, etc), but it would have to be sufficiently unique in that there would be no parts compatibility with the old models.

Of course that would open up a new can of worms as the aftermarket would take forever to develop products for the new model out of fear Savage would change things yet again.
    If they did it right they could possibly hit it big. Ruger is already seeing a lot more Aftermarket support with the RPR and Ruger American Action. I've even seen some working with their new Rimfire line.