Thread: Cabelas Savage 10T-SR Exclusive Compared to ?

Basic Member

Cabelas Savage 10T-SR Exclusive Compared to ?

I just received a Cabelas sale flyer that shows the Savage 10T-SR on sale this Friday for $550. It has 5R rifling with accu stock and accu trigger and heavy 24" barrel. I am curious what you guys think is a comparable after market barrel to this stock Savage barrel in 6.5 Creedmore. I could buy a Savage 12FV take off action for $260 from the classifieds and pick up an after market barrel and stock and build my own but what would I have to spend to get similar results to this stock rifle. The Cabelas reviews are either "amazing" if you luck out with a winner or "very poor" if you draw a dud. I often wonder how many of those reviews a person can believe anyway. So many guys say .5 moa out of the box with factory ammo and it makes me wonder.

For your interest I did buy a Cabelas Savage 12FV last fall in 6.5 Creedmore with the rebate and sold the stock barrel before I really ran it through the paces. I bought a EAB Accuracy barrel and head space gauges and Choate tactical stock and built a fairly accurate gun that is consistently under 1 moa. ( I have read that the stock 12FV barrel gets under 1 moa in most cases.) I am hoping for even better accuracy so adding a brake to reduce recoil. I will have $900 into this build after the brake install. I'm thinking that $900 should get a person .5moa easily but maybe I am dreaming.

I totally understand that a lot goes into long range accuracy as I have been shooting a long time. Does anyone else get frustrated after spending lots of $$$ and wishing you had gone in a completely different direction? lolol

Basic Member
    Maybe you haven't calculated (the luck) factor into the mix. lol

Basic Member
    I have a 10T (before they offered the threaded barrel) and it is a great shooter. I also have a barrel and stock from my brother-in-law that I threw on an action that I had, so I basically have a 10T-SR also. Both shoot about 5/8 groups when I shoot well, 3/4 when I am off a little and under 1/2 inch when my brother shoots them.
    How do they compare to aftermarket? that is a hard question. almost as good as some and not nearly as good as others, depending on the luck of the draw... I have been lucky.

Basic Member
    I know I would never get rid of a savage barrel until I have put 100 rounds down the barrel without a cleaning.

Basic Member
    Never bought one, but the one thing I do not like about the 10T-SR compared to the cheaper 12FV is that it is a bottom bolt release. That can complicate things like adding another stock or aftermarket trigger down the road. Of course, one may not feel the need or want to do so with the 10T-SR, and barrel changes can be made on it with no issue.

I have restocked one of my 12FVs and added a Shilen barrel. Yeah, that drastically increased the cost many times over what I ultimately paid. But, it shoots great, and this hobby isn't too much about saving money, although many of us try to save here and there.

I have a 10T-SR in 300 Win Mag that shoots 0.5" groups easily with 225 ELD-M bullets, Sig brass and H1000.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Thanks for the interesting replies guys. I stopped by Cabelas yesterday and checked out the 10t-sr. Loved the threaded barrel but ugly black bolt. Was surprised that my 12FV is jewelled and this is plain black. If there was a $100 rebate I would be tempted.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shamu25 View Post
    Thanks for the interesting replies guys. I stopped by Cabelas yesterday and checked out the 10t-sr. Loved the threaded barrel but ugly black bolt. Was surprised that my 12FV is jewelled and this is plain black. If there was a $100 rebate I would be tempted.
    FYI: I save money on Cabela's purchases buying the $100 gift cards on ebay from svmgiftcards. I just bought 4 for $240. (They usually only let you buy 3 at a time.) Saved me $60. Got some of the 12FVs when they were on sale with rebate cheap using the cards.

Basic Member
    Wasn't aware of that
    Thanks Nic

I went the aftermarket route for the barrel and built my 260 Rem off the 111 action... I can say after doing it, that I'm glad I did... It will shoot 1/4 MOA out to 450 yards (farthest I've been able to shoot it so far)... I think the build part ran just over $900 (action, CBI barrel & NUT & LUG, Pro Varmint stock). Had to get the headspace gauges too, but fortunately my pop had the tools & Knowledge to remove the barrel. I ran into a few issues during the build that were frustrating, but I eventually got the bugs worked out... Now I've got a hell of a rifle that is more accurate than I will ever be able to shoot it.... I can say now, When I sit down next to a custom built "Gunwerks" type rifle with NF ATACR scopes at the range, and I shoot better groups than they do with my semi custom Savage and a Sightron Scope... Sure makes me pretty proud of what I built.. especially when those guys come over and ask what I'm shooting... I almost laugh out loud when I tell them it's a Savage and see the sheepish disgusted look on their face...

Basic Member
    Sagerat shooter, which CBI barrel did you get? Stainless or Chr Moly? Length? Contour? You are getting the kind of accuracy I'm dreaming about. lol

Sagerat shooter, which CBI barrel did you get? Stainless or Chr Moly? Length? Contour? You are getting the kind of accuracy I'm dreaming about. lol
    Shamu25,

I went with a Varmint contoured Stainless, chambered in 260 Rem Match, @ 25". I also ordered the barrel nut, headspace gauges, and the Precision recoil lug. Bought the Boyd's Pro Varmint stock and had to Pillar bed it. However, I have not had to glass bed the action yet.

I hand load my ammo though, so take that into consideration. I shoot a max load of H4350 using Lapua brass, Winchester LR primers, & Hornady 143 ELD-X bullet.

Just to be clear, the $900 I quoted you above was just to build the rifle. That does not include optics... The Optics are going to run you as much as your build does (or should at least). You may be able to get your build done a little under that if you use the 12 FV action and you buy it on sale... I had to pay $400 just for the action as I'm a Lefty and they don't make the FV for those of us who shoot from the other side.

With that being said, I would go the 12FV route either way you decide to go... My brother has the 12FV (but in 22-250) and it is extremely accurate. All he did was put a Bobby Hart LRT stock on it. It's every bit as accurate as my Axis 22-250 is and I built that one using a CBI barrel as well.

You may get what you're looking for without having to "build" it... But, if you don't get the accuracy you're looking for with the factory barrel (the stock sucks, so you absolutely have to upgrade that), then you've already got your foundation... you just have to contact Northland Shooter Supply and have James order you a CBI chambered in 6.5 Creed with a 1 in 8 twist, and at least 25" if you want to be in the 2800 FPS ballpark with the 140 grain pills. You'll probably have to wait about 24 weeks at the minimum to get your barrel in hand, but they are worth every penny in my opinion... I have 3 CBI barrels and every one of them is a shooter.

Basic Member
    Thanks for all the info SageRat Shooter. Just what I was looking for. I have the 12FV action so I am good there. Also have a Sightron SIII 8-32 X 56 scope so I am good there. Just making sure when I buy another barrel I do it right. BTW what is a Sage Rat?

Thanks for all the info SageRat Shooter. Just what I was looking for. I have the 12FV action so I am good there. Also have a Sightron SIII 8-32 X 56 scope so I am good there. Just making sure when I buy another barrel I do it right. BTW what is a Sage Rat?
    Shamu25,

Right on man... IMO you are on the right path... Good choice on Optics too... You'll be able to see a fly on a plate @ 1000 yards with that Magnification... :-) I'm running the SIII 6-24x50.... Awesome scopes!!

A Sage Rat is: otherwise known as a Belding Ground Squirrel... About 1/3 the size of a Prairie Dog... the big ones are about 6-8 inches tall when standing up and about 2-3 inches wide... As for barrels, I love my CBIs... I would not shy away from the Shilen though... They're pretty much equal from what I've heard from guys who shoot them.

I just went with the CBI originally because they were the OEM manufacturer for Krieger at the time....

I have a Savage 10T in 6.5CM, was sub moa with factory ammo but not great. Tuned handloads it shoots 5 rounds into the .3s-.4s 140gr Berger VLD, .020' off, 43.4gr H4350. I also have a Savage 10T I bought in .300 win mag and then put a Proof pre threaded savage barrel on it and it shoots .5 moa with tuned handloads.

Any quality aftermarket barrel (Shilen, Rock Creek, Krieger, Broughton, Criterion, etc) will always be a better quality barrel than a factory barrel IMO. Plenty of factory barrels out there that shoot great, but the bore in them is typically rough as a cob. Even money, or even if it cost a little more, I'd opt for the aftermarket barrel every time.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Headhunter that in very respectable shooting with both rifles
    Your load for the creedmore sounds hot. Do you know the velocity for that round ?