Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Opinions please: What set up makes the most sense?

Opinions please: What set up makes the most sense?

110 Hunter in 30-06
    110 Tactical in 308
    or 110 Tactical in 6.5 creedmoor.
    This rifle with be dual purpose, hunting rifle and long range targets. I first thought about getting the hunter then a barrel to shoot 308 out of it, first for hunting and second for long range targets. Though I’m not sure how comfortable I am with headspacing and what that entails when changing barrels. Then started leaning towards the 308 as that rifle can be both a hunting rifle and a long range without the need to change barrels. Then after more research, I’m liking the 6.5 creedmoor. I’ve done a fair amount of research. Feel like I’m going into analysis paralysis though.

Well, for me I would choose a hunting based platform if that’s where I thought I would get the most use of it. Likewise for
    the tactical. Look at the weight of the rifle, if you know what kind of glass you’re going to use add that into things.

Hope this helps narrow it down some

We have all had the paralysis by analysis problem at some point in all of this.... I know I did... My vote is the .308 based upon the basics you provided on what it will be used for. With that being said, there are a couple things that may change my vote.

What kind of game are you hunting?
    Do you reload?

The 6.5 creed or the .260 Remington (which is what I went with) carry enough energy to take down an Elk (1500 Ft lbs) out to 400 yards using the 140 class bullets (I shoot the 143 ELD-X). So it too is a good all around cartridge... Has less recoil than .308 or 30-06 (I have a 30-06 for ELK myself).

As much as I like my .260 I still lean towards the 30-06 for big game, even though ballistics say the 6.5 round will get the job done. It just gives me greater piece of mind as I've seen the results with the 30-06. That may change down the road as I observe more results from my .260.

Anything smaller than an Elk, and the 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem is the clear winner in my book. Look at the ballistics for the .308 vs 6.5 Creed (even use a 180 gr. bullet for the .308 and a 140 gr. bullet from the 6.5) the down range ballistics will surprise you...

Just my .01,

Hunting rifle in 30-06
    Too much internet between the ears is a terrible thing.
    30-06 is still the most versatile centerfire caliber around and there's a very good reason it's still going strong after over 100 years.
    No need to change barrels just change the load and the 30-06 will do everything the other calibers you have listed will do and much more, only better. Everything from reduced light recoiling loads to heavy big game stoppers and high velocity lightweight varmint rounds are no problem. If anyone tells you that the 30-06 is any "less accurate" blah blah blah than any other caliber just nod and walk away, they've got too much internet between their ears and not enough range time with various cartridges.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    We have all had the paralysis by analysis problem at some point in all of this.... I know I did... My vote is the .308 based upon the basics you provided on what it will be used for. With that being said, there are a couple things that may change my vote.

What kind of game are you hunting?
    Do you reload?

The 6.5 creed or the .260 Remington (which is what I went with) carry enough energy to take down an Elk (1500 Ft lbs) out to 400 yards using the 140 class bullets (I shoot the 143 ELD-X). So it too is a good all around cartridge... Has less recoil than .308 or 30-06 (I have a 30-06 for ELK myself).

As much as I like my .260 I still lean towards the 30-06 for big game, even though ballistics say the 6.5 round will get the job done. It just gives me greater piece of mind as I've seen the results with the 30-06. That may change down the road as I observe more results from my .260.

Anything smaller than an Elk, and the 6.5 Creed or .260 Rem is the clear winner in my book. Look at the ballistics for the .308 vs 6.5 Creed (even use a 180 gr. bullet for the .308 and a 140 gr. bullet from the 6.5) the down range ballistics will surprise you...

Just my .01,
    I donÂ’t reload. Not currently. Deer for now. Hopefully elk at some point. While I understand that having multiple guns in various chmaberings for specific jobs make the most sense, money is a factor for me. Also, thanks to everyone whoÂ’s posted. Too much information can be not a great thing. Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Stifffingers View Post
    I donÂ’t reload. Not currently. Deer for now. Hopefully elk at some point. While I understand that having multiple guns in various chmaberings for specific jobs make the most sense, money is a factor for me. Also, thanks to everyone whoÂ’s posted. Too much information can be not a great thing. Hahaha
    Go with the .308 then... You'll have the ability to do both with it, and you can find factory ammo just about anywhere you look.

Basic Member
    If I had to make a choice between only those, if I planned to hunt bears, then 30-06 without question. Since you only mentioned deer hunting then I would get the 6.5 Creedmoor because it is just fine on deer out to 600, (yes I know there are vids of people taking deer with it out to 1000 but I wouldn't) and it is a better target rifle than the 308 by a pretty good amount and a touch better than a 30-06 while being cheaper and lots less recoil.

Basic Member
    Looking at the specs on the rifles, the tactical weighs 8.87 lbs. Add a scope and a load of ammo and you are looking at toting a 10 lb rifle in the field. The hunter weighs in at about 1.5 lbs less. For hunting this may be a consideration.

Basic Member
    The .06 is certainly versatile, as is the .308 with ammo from surplus plinking to match target commercially available. Creedmoor will be more expensive to shoot, shorter barrel life and not much advantage inside 500 yards.

More importantly- , you need to consider barrel contour. A light contour hunting barrel is not suited to the long strings and heat that target barrels are subjected to. You'll spend most of the time waiting for the barrel to cool every few shots...
    I call these dual purpose rifles "compromise rifles" because what you need isn't perfectly suited for either application but adequate. I usually recommend a light to medium Varmint contour to customers (unless ya got the coin for a Proof Research carbon fiber barrel).

The "Tactical" contour from Savage will be heavier than their "Hunter" contour- so regardless of the chambering- go with the heavier contour barrel.

If your on a budget - 308. Lots more cheap options for plinking than either of the other two, combined. More "off the shelf" load options for everything else too.

Basic Member
    I must have missed the part about plinking. I thought the original post was asking for a hunting and long range rifle. That leaves the 308 as the worst choice of the three.

im for the creed

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I must have missed the part about plinking. I thought the original post was asking for a hunting and long range rifle. That leaves the 308 as the worst choice of the three.
    .308 works just fine for hunting and long range shooting. To get good at long range shooting (and hunting) you need to practice. OP doesn't reload. .308 will be cheapest to shoot. I'd say it's the best choice of the three. (and I hunt with a .30-06, but just recently got a .308)

The -06 loads I speak of are available commercially. Everything from reduced recoil to varmint loads,match loads and every type of medium/big game loads. Though handloading makes tuning the various loads to your specific rifle a lot easier, -06 ammo of all stripes is certainly widely available commercially for most any application you can imagine.

In my personal experience the whole heat vs heavy barrel thing doesn't seem to have as drastic effect downrange as some might portray. Heavy barrels have more mass and though they may dissipate the heat through the metal a few shots slower, the mass also retains heat and therefore cools slower.
    Red pill VS Blue pill.
    I have several factory sporter weight barrels in various calibers that will most certainly hold their own. Kinda hard to tell with limited handling at the gun shop but a pound or two as well as an inch or two on either end of a rifle adds up fast when taken afield.
    If I could have one bolt action centerfire rifle to cover the bases it would be a stainless and synthetic 22" sporter in 30-06 with quality name brand rings, bases and a good 3-9x40.
    Anyway that's my $.02 and it's worth exactly what you paid to read it.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

I would much rather shoot a 25 dollar box of creedmoor match loads at 800 yards than a 25 dollar box of ammo in a 308 at the same distance. I have spent considerable time behind a 308 at both mid and long range matches. I spent a small fortune trying to shoot as well as an off the shelf 6.5 creed with box ammo at long range distances.

The 308 has its purpose. So does the Creedmoor.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big honkin jeep View Post
    The -06 loads I speak of are available commercially. Everything from reduced recoil to varmint loads,match loads and every type of medium/big game loads. Though handloading makes tuning the various loads to your specific rifle a lot easier, -06 ammo of all stripes is certainly widely available commercially for most any application you can imagine.

In my personal experience the whole heat vs heavy barrel thing doesn't seem to have as drastic effect downrange as some might portray. Heavy barrels have more mass and though they may dissipate the heat through the metal a few shots slower, the mass also retains heat and therefore cools slower.
    Red pill VS Blue pill.
    I have several factory sporter weight barrels in various calibers that will most certainly hold their own. Kinda hard to tell with limited handling at the gun shop but a pound or two as well as an inch or two on either end of a rifle adds up fast when taken afield.
    If I could have one bolt action centerfire rifle to cover the bases it would be a stainless and synthetic 22" sporter in 30-06 with quality name brand rings, bases and a good 3-9x40.
    Anyway that's my $.02 and it's worth exactly what you paid to read it.
    Which is why I suggested a "compromise" barrel. There's a reason competition benchrest barrels are telephone poles, just as there's a reason for carbon fiber barrels.
    It's not just heat dissipation, it's rigidity. It's about thin contour barrels heating/cooling unevenly- shot "stringing" with hot, light contour barrels is not some sort of internet myth. Some barrels exhibit worse effects than others, but it's a fact of physics.

Heavy Palma and Varmint contours still dominate PRS despite the weight "disadvantage". Pencil barrels can be every bit as accurate for the first few shots (all that's needed on a hunting rifle)- but where speed, and rapid-fire strings are required without a shift in POI the heavy barrels rule. More mass to absorb the heat, and more surface area to dissipate it.

Lightweight rifles are also at a disadvantage because they're so susceptible to every minimal twitch, heartbeat and shake- heavier rifles stay "put" and are therefore easier to control and shoot more accurately.

There's a reason the M40A5 weighs nearly 16 lbs...and it isn't just to piss off the already loaded-down Marines.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stifffingers View Post
    Well there's "deer hunting" and then there's "deer hunting"! Which one do you do? Do you typically ride on a quad out to box blind or tree stand and sit there all day? Or, do you live in the mountains, like to still hunt and getting away from the crowds?

If you sit in a blind or tree stand all day, your golden. And who cares what the gun weighs, get a big bull barreled 6.5 CM long range target rifle and hunt with it? If you still hunt in the mountains, and like covering ground, get the lightest 308 (more versatile, has larger ammo selection than the 6.5 for normal hunting ranges <400 yds, with better availability) to hunt with, while you save up for the long range 6.5 CM.

Some might be shocked at the downrange energy of a 6.5 creedmoor compared to a 308 winchester.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Some might be shocked at the downrange energy of a 6.5 creedmoor compared to a 308 winchester.
    yep.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Not sure if that was directed at me or not.........

We need to define "downrange". At "normal" hunting ranges, (in very broad general terms) say less than 400 yds, energy wise its pretty much a wash. With the 308 having a lot larger selection of ammo to choose from. You need to get really "downrange" to start to take advantage of the 6.5's BC, further than most people should probably be shooting at live/moving targets. For the reocrd, I've drank the kool-aid and have 3 6.5's and those wont be the last I'm sure.

If your just going to hunt deer with it, get a 6.5CM and call it good. Throw in the possibility/desire to elk hunt with it, the 308 seems like the better, more pragmatic choice. IMO & YMMV!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    Well there's "deer hunting" and then there's "deer hunting"! Which one do you do? Do you typically ride on a quad out to box blind or tree stand and sit there all day? Or, do you live in the mountains, like to still hunt and getting away from the crowds?

If you sit in a blind or tree stand all day, your golden. And who cares what the gun weighs, get a big bull barreled 6.5 CM long range target rifle and hunt with it? If you still hunt in the mountains, and like covering ground, get the lightest 308 (more versatile, has larger ammo selection than the 6.5 for normal hunting ranges <400 yds, with better availability) to hunt with, while you save up for the long range 6.5 CM.
    I go "DEER HUNTING!!!" and try to put at least 3 in the freezer every year. I'll stick to my dedicated deer rifle in .270! 270 won't be found on a range during a match, but it will drop a deer at farther range than I'm comfortable shooting one. To each his own when it comes to caliber preferences.

How did anyone hunt before the 6.5 was invented?

Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    How did anyone hunt before the 6.5 was invented?

How far back do you want to go? Bow and arrow? Lest we forget what influenced the majority of hunting weapons was military based. Does not necessarily mean that it was the best at anything.

If the op’s planning on shooting long range (1000yds) with any of the op’s 3 choices with boxed ammo. In my opinion he is going to be depressed with the outcome. Even with fgmm which is pretty good boxed ammo at 800 to 1000 yds there’s way to much vertical to be really effective at that range. It’s kinda of fun at the range when the guy with his new cure all 6.5creed goes home depressed when he gets
    Embarrassed by a 308 with well crafted 178 eld’x’s At 2830fps with a 10-12fps spread. My advice is get an 06 or 308 and a decent reloading setup and not get caught up in the hype.

So a guy with a 6.5 creedmoor gets spanked by a 308@1K. A 550 bc bullet smoking a 6.5 with a .646 or .697 BC bullet at 1000 yards. I would like to take that challenge.... Like taking candy from a baby. Wait till all of the Fclass shooters and PRS shooters realize what they are missing. I think that should be the post of the week!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast