Thread: Model 93 Magazine and Feeding Problems

Basic Member

Model 93 Magazine and Feeding Problems

I have been having a lot of trouble with magazine fit and feeding with both my Model 93 rifles - both the 22 magnum and the 17HMR. The magazines are hard to push in and pull out, even if I keep rearward pressure on the locking tab throughout. Both rifles also have feeding difficulties. The bullet nose often jams against the bottom edge of the chamber. I can reduce this by keeping constant upward pressure on the forward part of the bottom of the magazine, but it still happens quite a bit. I've tried working the bolt as quicky as possible and with some real snap, but that has resulted in pushing some 17 HMR bullets back into the case. I bought two brand new mags, and that helps a little, but the problem still exists. Same problem with both 5- and 10- round mags.

Basic Member
    Just got a new 93 FV-SR and am experiencing the same thing right out of the box. At least I am with the Federal Flatnose ammo. Bolt tries to pick it up, the nose dips and plows into the mag and/or feed ramp, game over. Will not feed. You can push on this, pull on that, jiggle on this, jiggle on that. Not happening. I actually ended up bending the bolt hande trying to force it over the hump.

Same gun in 22LR, no problem. So far eats it everything. 22WMR? Not so much!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    Just got a new 93 FV-SR and am experiencing the same thing right out of the box. At least I am with the Federal Flatnose ammo. Bolt tries to pick it up, the nose dips and plows into the mag and/or feed ramp, game over. Will not feed. You can push on this, pull on that, jiggle on this, jiggle on that. Not happening. I actually ended up bending the bolt hande trying to force it over the hump.

Same gun in 22LR, no problem. So far eats it everything. 22WMR? Not so much!

Thanks for your reply. I've just tried tightening my stock bolts as much as I dare. That may also have helped a little, but not much. I find myself wondering if a stiffer mag spring might do it. I keep hoping someone who solved the problem might help us both by replying. On another forum, I found an old post about the same problem and an interesting solution - how to modify Marlin 22 mag magazines to fit in your Savage! I contacted Savage about the problem and their only help was to tell me to ship them the rifles and magazines and they'd fix them, probably under warranty on my newer gun and POSSIBLY with no charge on the older one.

Basic Member
    Just got back from the range, here's what Iv'e found out so far. Seems to worse if you max out the magazine, that is put all 5 in a 5 rounder, 10 in 10 rounder.......

Most of the pointy nose rounds, think V-max, feed most of the time without incident. Flatnose and some hollow points are different matter.
    However, only loading 5 rounds in a 10 round mag, and then pushing down on the rim of the last round several times, working the nose up in the air seems to help, at least it gets things started in the right direction.

Once I settle on a specific round, I'll probaly try bending the feed lips some and see if that helps.

I'll keep checking bck periodically.

Good luck.

mine too.. so it sits unused

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    mine too.. so it sits unused

Bummer!

22WMR or 17 HMR?

Basic Member
    Just got back from the range, here's what Iv'e found out so far. Seems to worse if you max out the magazine, that is put all 5 in a 5 rounder, 10 in 10 rounder.......

Most of the pointy nose rounds, think V-max, feed most of the time without incident. Flatnose and some hollow points are different matter.
    However, only loading 5 rounds in a 10 round mag, and then pushing down on the rim of the last round several times, working the nose up in the air seems to help, at least it gets things started in the right direction.

Once I settle on a specific round, I'll probaly try bending the feed lips some and see if that helps.

I'll keep checking bck periodically.

Good luck.
    Be real careful if you try bending the feed lips. I tried it and the top staked tab popped out on the one side of the top rear of the mag. I can't get it to stay together now.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by erikpolcrack View Post
    Be real careful if you try bending the feed lips. I tried it and the top staked tab popped out on the one side of the top rear of the mag. I can't get it to stay together now.

Rgr that, will do.

Bummer!

22WMR or 17 HMR?
    17 HMR. After that gun I vowed not to ever buy another Savage..there were a few other reasons(some not savage related);
    You can reload 223 cheaper.
    Prairie Dogs just fall over after shot. After adjusting feed lips my mags, until blue in the face, wont hold a full count without shitting all the cartridges everywhere with the slightest mismovement.
    And I got one of the first without an accutrigger which felt like pulling a shovel through gravel 50 feet.

But here I am 16 yrs later and last fall bought 4 centerfire Savages. I did shim the trigger last winter - feels 1000 times better. I actually cant wait to shoot a few dogs with it now.

I have the same issue.
    I've done a few mods on the 10rd mags.
    I'm doing this on 22magnum.
    1.) Used a small "C" clamp to gently squeeze the aligning rails closer together so the mag fits snugly once inserted.
    2.) Use needlenose pliers to carefully bend the rear set of feed lips closer together.
    What I am experiencing is the rim of the cartridge case is rising up too far in the mag. When closing the bolt the rim sits too high between the feed lips, gets pushed forward into the constriction area between the feed lips, and locking in place.
    This also causes the cartridge to lay too flat. On bolt close the nose of the bullet jams against the front of the mag body/chamber mouth.
    By keeping the cartridge at a more pronounced angle feeding is much smoother.
    3.) Used a round jewelers file to file out a small half round notch at the top front of the mag body. Just enough to clear the tip of the bullet. As the round feeds, the tip goes past the notch while the ogive contacts the sides thus lift the front end of the round.

I have to say the Savage 93 magazines are pretty sorry excuses for magazines.
    The metal is pathetically soft and prone to bending.
    So far all I've dealt with are the 10rd stainless mags.
    I'm debating about buying a few blued versions and heat tempering the lips.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Moonpie View Post
    I have the same issue.
    I've done a few mods on the 10rd mags.
    I'm doing this on 22magnum.
    1.) Used a small "C" clamp to gently squeeze the aligning rails closer together so the mag fits snugly once inserted.
    2.) Use needlenose pliers to carefully bend the rear set of feed lips closer together.
    What I am experiencing is the rim of the cartridge case is rising up too far in the mag. When closing the bolt the rim sits too high between the feed lips, gets pushed forward into the constriction area between the feed lips, and locking in place.
    This also causes the cartridge to lay too flat. On bolt close the nose of the bullet jams against the front of the mag body/chamber mouth.
    By keeping the cartridge at a more pronounced angle feeding is much smoother.
    3.) Used a round jewelers file to file out a small half round notch at the top front of the mag body. Just enough to clear the tip of the bullet. As the round feeds, the tip goes past the notch while the ogive contacts the sides thus lift the front end of the round.

I have to say the Savage 93 magazines are pretty sorry excuses for magazines.
    The metal is pathetically soft and prone to bending.
    So far all I've dealt with are the 10rd stainless mags.
    I'm debating about buying a few blued versions and heat tempering the lips.
    Thanks! Will try your mods.

Basic Member
    I have heard that a stainless magazine will pretty much cure these problems. Can anyone confirm?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by zilla View Post
    I have heard that a stainless magazine will pretty much cure these problems. Can anyone confirm?

Moonpie above states all his similar problems have been with stainless steel magazines.

My experience is only with stainless magazines.
    I have five new 10rd mags. All give problems on round nine down to round six.
    They seem to feed okay with five or less in the mag.
    I have several 5rd magazines and a couple of them do the same thing on round four. The last three feed good.

Basic Member
    I have a 93 that is about 8yrs old, and it feeds perfectly. A couple things that are obvious but will mention them anyway. No insults meant.

First my magazines will NOT go all the way into place if I put them in with the bolt closed, so I open the bolt and when I push up on the magazine, "click" and all is well. If not it will not feed correctly no matter what I try. I mention this because there MIGHT be some restriction keeping your mags from coming all the way up, even if you hear a click. These rifles are VERY picky.

The other is take a good close look, if they ARE coming all the way up, it sounds to me like the front of the magazine is not locking in place high enough for proper feeding. If the angle IS correct, you could try a small round file in the front end of the magazine where the bullets hang up. File them at an angle to help them slide up.

I had a Marlin 22 WMR auto that I LOVED, but it would not feed any ammo but pointed. The shop took it back at full price, but I was sure disappointed. I never tried much to make it work, but often wish that I had.

Hopefully these idea will help a little.

Sorry for reviving such an old post, but obviously I’m using the search function.
    I just purchased my first Savage, it’s an 11yro 93r17gvl along with a brand new Savage 5rd SS magazine. The gun came with a blued steel 5 rd mag. Overall the action is in very good condition, mags don’t have too much side to side play. Right from the get go both mags are having issues feeding regardless of which mag is used. Looking at the gun in detail without disassembling I noticed the bolt isn’t always picking up the case rim. In particular on the last round of each mag. I can easily push the magazine up into the mag well about 1/32” and this alleviates the bolt/feed issue. The mag retainer spring clip is fully seated. The mags click into place just the same no matter if the bolt is forward or retracted.
    Is there a different mag retainer spring clip that has the notches higher up to hold the mag higher in the mag well?

I found some info by bflee about bending the magazine guide forward.
    It has helped somewhat, I will say it takes quite a bit of force to bend that guide, so emphasis on the large needle nose pliers to give you the leverage you need. Bending the guide completely eliminated the lateral play of the mag in the mag well. But now my bolt hits the forward guide lips on the mag, of course they can be filed down. As far as the bolt grabbing the case rim, it does but barely. I’d guess by only .010-.015”. The mag still has play up and down but not nearly as much as it used to.