Thread: Savage 338LM FCP price ?

Basic Member

Savage 338LM FCP price ?

Just toying with the idea on selling mine. Love this rifle but health issues may push me into selling it. Has about 125 round shot through it. How much are these running these days? Have looked at different sites to get an idea. Pretty big swing on used prices. Just thought I would ask. Surgery is coming up. Outcome will determine what I’ll be doing. Thanks folks.

Basic Member
    The value of a .338 Lapua used rifle is largely about the barrel since it has a "relatively" short life without needing to be set-back or rebarreled. Typically, 2000 rounds; like every other magnum depends on the usual variables and what you consider to still be "accurate" as it begins to degrade.

With a street price new of around $1400, I'd expect around a grand to be easily obtainable -maybe more if you keep a detailed log book with round count etc. Absent being able to inspect with a borescope, a lot of buyers will assume a shot-out barrel- one of the major reasons for selling (that, and cost of factory ammo) so they'll value it accordingly. I suspect that's why you see a range in value.

Basic Member
    Thanks for your feed back. Swore I would never sell it but health issues is pushing me to do it. Sweet rifle.

It’s a tough market currently. At least around here, depending on how quickly you are wanting to liquidate it. Hope it brings a good price and you start feeling better soon!

Basic Member
    Took it to the range yesterday since I was doing load development on my 1st Grendel. Have a brace I wear to get ready for the surgery but’s it’s intrusive while shooting. Didn’t wear it. Yeah, bad idea. Still shot the beast. Felt good to shoot it but the body cringed on every shot. Those bad discs lit me up pretty good. Still had fun. My chit eating grin was glowing. Think I’ll wait until I heal up and take it out again to see how I do. It’s hard to get rid of my dream rifle. Thanks again folks.

Basic Member
    Well, home from surgery. Word of advice folks, take care of your back. You don’t ever want to go through this crap. I now have my lower 6 discs fused. Not fun at all. Anyways, was thinking how much I love this rifle. Would it be worth it to rebarrel to 6.5 CM? I know I have a long action but think I could really load long. Just a thought. Probably better to sell it and buy a 6.5CM but thought I would ask. Thanks