Thread: "Acceptable" Scope Offset

Basic Member

"Acceptable" Scope Offset

What is an acceptable difference in windage offset? I got 2 model 10's with after market bases installed, Seekins and Badger, where there is a considerable difference in offset to one side or the other. I've switched scopes, rings, turned the rings around, swapped bases back and forth between guns. And both guns still need to be cranked over considerably more to one side than the other. In opposite directions between guns though. Leaving me slightly less than 3 mils correction in one direction and 9+ mils in the other.

Don't expect it to be equal, but, 3 times as much difference to one side seems excessive. Especially when only being left with less than 3 mils correction.

After all the swapping, it would seem to me the screw holes for the bases are out of alignment. Or am I missing something?

did you buy the rifles new?

I wouldn't be happy with that - but I will say I have a S.M.L.E. Mk IV* with a "existing screw hole" scope mount (aka "non-gunsmith scope mount") that puts the scope centerline 1/2" to the left of the bore. So I sighted it 1/2" left at 100 yards and aim a "hair" to the right.
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    did you buy the rifles new?
    Yes.

Both bases were also purchased "new".

Basic Member
    Easy fix, swap to "standard" turn-in bases and rings. Easy to center. Or go with the Millett "angle loc" scope rings that allow for windage adjustment. I typically center my crosshair then do my bore sighting windage adjustment using the bases.

https://www.brownells.com/optics-mou...-prod9129.aspx

Rosewood

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post
    Easy fix, swap to "standard" turn-in bases and rings. Easy to center. Or go with the Millett "angle loc" scope rings that allow for windage adjustment. I typically center my crosshair then do my bore sighting windage adjustment using the bases.

Rosewood

Want to keep using a 20-40 MOA base and need 34mm and/or 40mm rings.

Thanks for the heads up.

I have 1 12fv and 1 axis with the same problem. I am going to use leupold mounts to correct the problem, even though they choke off the port.

I’ve read of some folks having issue with the Leupold mounts, however I haven’t. Maybe I’m lucky, the biggest complaint I can come up with is the partial blocking on the rear

Basic Member
    Get these Burris XTR Signature rings. Has inserts to correct your problem. I use these on my savage 338 LM FCP. Work great.
    https://www.burrisoptics.com/mountin...ignature-rings

Basic Member
    Quite disappointing that Savage still hasn't figured out how to drill and tap centered holes in the receiver. Most of my Savages have that problem and yet my WBY Vanguards and Tikka don't have those issues at all.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    Want to keep using a 20-40 MOA base and need 34mm and/or 40mm rings.

Thanks for the heads up.
    I didn't realize you were using MOA bases. I don't think the turn-in are made with that ability (not sure it is geometrically possible). The ring inserts someone else mentioned sound like the answer you are looking for.

Rosewood

Quote Originally Posted by rosewood View Post

Rosewood
    +1, windage adjustable rings will solve your problem.