Thread: Savage Axis

Basic Member

Savage Axis

Pickup a stainless Axis in 7mm-08 a few days ago. I've owned three other Savage rifles in the past and they have been very accurate. This one may have a problem?? I've clipped the trigger spring to get about 3lbs pull, stiffened the stock with JB Weld, and barrel is free floated, filled the hollow stock with foam, cleaned and locktited the scope base screws, new Vortex Crossfire II scope, everything seems to be tight. I shot the rifle 14 times and can only get 3" group at 50 yards, yes 50 yards. I used Remington core-lokt 140 grain. I'm hoping the ammo is the problem. Any suggestions would be helpful. Thinking of getting a Boyds stock, but I would like to figure out the problem first.

My gut tells me it's either the scope or the ammo. The Axis isn't the greatest platform, but you should get better accuracy than that. Swap the scope and see if anything changes. If not, then try a different ammo.

Where the scope come from ? I got a brand new Simmons 44 mag from Natchez years ago and it was bad .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The other part that may be the issue would be the scope rings themselves... OP didn't say what rings he was using...

However, I've heard may people have had issues with the lower end Vortex scopes and even problems with canted reticles in their PST line.

Basic Member
    I would replace the rings and bases first put the same scope back on and use the same ammo. I have never heard of corelok ammo being a problem but Vortex from what I have seen over the last 10 years is up and down I'm sorry to say.
    I put Talley lightweight rings and bases on mine in 243. Shoots most factory loads at 3/4 moa. It shot that way right out of the box with the horrendous trigger but I did put in a Rifle Basix trigger. I saw no need to mess with the stock since it shot under moa.

Basic Member
    what TQ did you set the action screws at?

gootentight is almost always too much

Wondering how he made out....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godale View Post
    Wondering how he made out....

The axis has been placed in a corner until I have time to work on it more. didn't pay a lot for it and got what I paid for.

HI All...savage2506, here...New Member...just signed in....I own 3 Savage AXIS-Non-Accutrigger Rifles...Does anyone know Where I can BUY the Trigger Spring, for these..? Sure would appreciate that....Thanks...Stephan in NC...!!!

PS...GREAT Group, here......

Basic Member
    3" group at 50 yards something's wrong, if it was virgin out of the box and multiple brands / varieties of ammo tested these results would warrant return to Savage and they'd have a look at it. i also just recently grabbed mine (223 left hand) at a good price before the availability dries up, no hurry here either ... but i'll tell ya when i tested the standard non-accu trigger for the 1st time i was pretty impressed. i'm like WTF is everyone complaining about? can it be improved? i don't see why not but i kind of expected a gravel pull with more side to side than rearward travel, not the case here.

yeah it's a cheap plastic stock but it's not a cheap wood stock that'll swell & shrink with atmosphere, i don't think i'm gonna do anything to this stock i got what i paid for LOL if anything i'll go straight to the MDT LSS chassis and maybe shorten the sporter barrel to a hair over 16", maybe thread it?

at the same time i grabbed the DNZ 30mm high mount, no scope for it yet & again no hurry ....

what was your method for tightening the action screws? not sure what the rules are here ATM so i'll PM you a link

action screws & accuracy are a science in their own right