Thread: making a solid bottom

Basic Member

making a solid bottom

I have a repeater action, i plan of fitting a steel pc properly fitted in the bottom and use a ball end end mill and mill on a angle for the bullet to feed properly, and then have it tig welded in a few places to make it rigid, has anyone done this, this will be my second action i have done and the first one works excellent.

chet

Basic Member
    If the objective is to achieve the rigidity of a single-shot receiver, I don't see how a filler plate that's TIG'd in a few spots to hold it in place will achieve that objective. Personally, I don't see how that's in any way preferable to just using a single shot adapter on the follower but perhaps I'm missing something in your description.

Basic Member
    maybe i should have been more specific, it was tigged in 3/8" strings left 1/2" gaps, i just felt the long action savage lacked some rigidity hanging a 30" heavy contour 6.5x284 brux shouldered up with out the barrel nut, maybe it done nothing, but i felt it may have helped the accuracy, it honestly shoots in the 2s and 3s at 200yds, chambering was done by centershot rifles.

chet

It would be great to have before and after groupings. Like the way you think.

Basic Member
    I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"... and sounds to me that's where you're at.

On long, heavy bulls I'll often bed the chamber area (first inch or so) of the barrel along with the receiver. This adds additional support rather than just having 8 lbs. of barrel hanging like a fulcrum- and I've never known it to have an adverse affect to harmonics.

If you want to " experiment", that's a simple, and more importantly- reversible, mod that can be tried. If it has an adverse affect on consistency or harmonics, simple enough to grind out the bedding a bit to free-float again.

JMO...

Quote Originally Posted by tobnpr View Post
    I'm a firm believer in "if it ain't broke, don't fix it"...
    I completely agree.

But some folks also believe in "if it ain't broke, fix it till it is"....

Team Savage
    CHETC Your PM box is full.

I have only one Single Shot LA and would like another. I think any barrel I screw on it shoots better. (that's what happens when I think) Is that what you are trying to do? Aren't you afraid you will stress the action welding it?

Bill