Thread: MSR-15 Recon two-stage trigger

MSR-15 Recon two-stage trigger

Hello all, long-time Savage owner, first time poster, and first time MSR-15 owner (as are most of us).

So in one of my rare, early adopter impulses I purchased a MSR-15 Recon chambered in 224V (model 22931) which comes with a two-stage trigger. I am OK with the general feel of the trigger, and this is coming from someone who has a sub-MOA 12BVSS with the accutrigger adjusted to a light pull. HOWEVER, I would like to reduce the pull on the second stage. It is just a tad too much for target shooting.

I have seen that the Blackhawk two-stage trigger (that this lower comes with) was sold with two spring sets. I did not get the second spring set with the gun, which I presume is normal. However, looking at the springs in the supplied lower, the hammer spring is not colored, and the trigger spring is blue; as advertised, blue is not the color of one of the springs in the Blackhawk trigger set. I am guessing based on the number of coils that this is not the lightest option?

I am wondering whether anyone has tried replacing the trigger springs with a lighter set, like the yellow ones from JP for example,
    https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPS3.5. and if so, did it reduce the pull force?

So, before anyone makes the normal suggestion, this is a boron surface-hardened trigger set and I am NOT going to try any polishing or other modification on the sear or anywhere else. Also, please avoid suggestions on just replacing it with some $300 Geissele set. I would prefer to try a lighter spring set before doing that, my choice.

Thanks

Can't help you with your spring question, but as someone who has a Geissele trigger (SSA-E) I wouldn't recommend anyone else get one as I was pretty disappointed. $250 for the Geissele and the $95 Rock River 2-stage Varmint trigger I have in my other AR actually feels nicer and is just as light.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

To follow up, I purchased a Elftmann (ELF) drop-in, adjustable pull, one -stage trigger from Arm or Ally. I am pleased with the lightness and crispness of the pull. Favorable reviews from several sources, including from some that did not like Geissele or some of the other go-to options.

Here is the link if they are still on sale. $176, straight or curved blade.
    https://www.armorally.com/shop/elftmann-match-trigger/

There is also a non-adjustable pull version for $120.