Thread: Redding beam scale mod

Redding beam scale mod

Some of you have decided that beam scales are the most accurate way to weigh powder. I went a slightly different route with my setup but I thought this may give you some ideas. I have always been partial to the Redding scale. It helps to have some metal working experience and or machinery.

Using a Redding scale, a camera and a pedestal for a weighted Hornady trickler, I made it where the scale leveling is done external from the scale and the scale is directly attached to a larger base.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r5l-eZN-bA" target="_blank">

Basic Member
    I have an Ohaus m5 like in the second video. Got it off ebay, pretty chipped up and abused. without any tune up, It will show every kernel of h4831, and goes back to zero at the end of the batch. I would like to do the extended needle. I did try an endoscope/bore cam hooked to the laptop. It was nice not having to worry about the visual discrepancy caused by the angle of the dangle. I need to make a real mount for it.

My 20$ digital scale tries to kill me with inaccuracy and creep.

Basic Member
    I have a couple balance scales and a RCBS Chargemaster that are going to collect dust now that I have an A&D FX 120i and the auto trickler.
    So far it is beyond my expectations, but I have only used it on one batch. It isn't your typical digital scale. I know I struggled with my chargemaster enough that I knew it was time to upgrade... and the upgrade is huge!

EDIT changed FX1200i to FX120i.

If you have the money the FX 1200I is sweet, and much faster than a beam. However it comes at a price.

Team Savage

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Using a Redding scale, a camera and a pedestal for a weighted Hornady trickler, I made it where the scale leveling is done external from the scale and the scale is directly attached to a larger base.
    Is the scale in the linked video the one you modified? Would like to know about the hanger and pan (looks exactly like the one on my RCBS 5-10) which are different than the one on the original M5 I purchased off eBay a few months ago. want to replace them with same style shown in your video and on my 5-10.

My M5 has the same hanger. I am sure there are several versions of hangers and pans across manufacturers/re sellers and manufacture dates and locations. Sorry I don't have any answers for you.

The vids were to show just how much can be done and ideas for others to use. I have set up a tuned scale on an adjustable platform where the scale is anchored. The purpose was I had noticed movement of the scale as I adjusted weight from calibrated zero to final weight. I was also looking for something that would help reduce parallax therefore the camera was the solution. Short throws are done with an CM 1500 and finished on a beam. Repeatability and confidence in accuracy was improved. Isn't that what it is all about?

Team Savage

Thanks for the reply. Repeatable accuracy is indeed what it's all about. ;-)

I don't think the Hornady, Small RCBS or the Lyman Gen 6 are same league as the setup want2ride has. His setup is over 700 dollars new.
    https://ce-products.myshopify.com/pr...ickler-package

Ha RC20 You're something else. Have you been drinking...AGAIN?