Thread: lightweight hunting rifle

Basic Member

lightweight hunting rifle

OK, I went on an elk hunt last fall and I brought a 300 WSM Bear hunter and a 116 7mm Rem Mag with and they are both pretty heavy guns for vertical ascent mountain hunting. I believe the Bear hunter weighs in over 8 LBS and the 116 7mm Rem Mag is about 7.5 LBS. I talk with a State trooper pretty often that just upgraded to a Kimber 300 WSM and I believe it weighs in at about 5 3/4 LBS and just loves the weight savings on his elk hunting trips. I would really like to get a really good elk hunting rifle that is at least in that ball park.

What I looked at at Cabelas last week-
    Kimber hunter, in 30-06 5LBS 12 Oz $850
    Kimber Subalpine 30-06 or 280 AI 5 LBS 5 Oz $1700
    Kimber Subalpine 300 WSM 5 LBS 12 Oz $1700
    Tikka T3X Superlite 300 WM and 7mm RM 6 LBS $950
    Tikka T3x Lite 300 WM and 7mm RM 6.5 LBS $750 (stainless) $670 (Black)
    Browning Hells Canyon Speed 300 WM and 7mm RM 6.8 LBS $1050

I saw on the internet... on Savage website
    Savage 111 Lightweight Hunter 30-06 SPR 6LBS $989 MSRP
    It has a wood stock (I like that)

I really want a magnum, but in the case that I can't get a magnum I would settle for a 30-06 or 280.
    The Kimber was everything I thought it would be in a lightweight rifle and it has the best Mauser style controlled feed. It felt so light that it was almost toy-like.
    The Browning HC Speed had the best stock feel of any of the rifles that I handled that day.
    The Tikka Superlite and Lite were nice and had a nice smooth action.

Has anyone used the Savage Lightweight hunter? I am a little disappointed that it only comes in a 30-06 for the largest, but it is still just fine. What did they do to lighten the gun besides a shorter barrel than the rest? Could I just get a lightweight stock for the 116 and get somewhat close? Overall I am looking for a review of it before I just buy the Tikka Superlite 300 WM or Kimber Subalpine .

Basic Member
    6 LBS magnums are not very fun to shoot. I realize that it would be a very specialized choice that probably wouldn't get shot except for hunting- but I just don't have that ability- If I have it then I have to shoot it. I handled one of the savage lightweight guns in the store- but haven't shot one- so take this for what its worth. Most of this you can probably tell from a pic- but it is a small gun- the stock feels smaller- and has a series of cutouts in it. The action has been machined down and the bolt is fluted. The barrel is not fluted- but it is a small enough contour that I don't think they could of. The bolt seemed to bind pretty bad on the one in the store- not sure if it was because it was so light or if they removed to much material when they fluted it and it could get a tiny bit sideways. But it fit the bill for lightweight. As you mentioned with the Kimber- they are so light that it almost felt fake.

Another gun that might work is the Howa Alpine. They are around 5.5LBS- I know that they have a 308 win but doubt that they have any long action or magnum options.

Basic Member
    The lightweght hunter is one of my favorite savage rifles. THe wood stock is pretty light, but wont fit a standard action. If you want a magnum in the lighteight the tikka or the kimber is hard to beat out of the box

Basic Member
    Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    THe wood stock is pretty light, but wont fit a standard action
    Is this supposition or fact grouse? I was not aware but would like to know.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Is this supposition or fact grouse? I was not aware but would like to know.
    You could buy one and try it out yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by grouse View Post
    You could buy one and try it out yourself.
    I was not trying to argue. Can you tell us the difference in the inlet. Are the flats on the bottom of the action like the top. Ive never had a LW action. Possibly a picture.

If you go with the Savage, definitely get the wood stocked Model 11/111 version. The synthetic stocked 16/116 version leaves a LOT to be desired due to the stock and there are no lightweight aftermarket synthetic stock options for them that won't set you back $600 or more. For the money you would have tied up in the Savage after upgrading the stock you'd be better off just getting a Kimber or Barrett Fieldcraft which come standard with a carbon fiber stock.

As for the LWH wood stock not fitting a standard action, I don't know where that's coming from unless by "standard" grouse means side bolt release as all LWH's are bottom bolt release from the factory. Action screw spacing is standard long or short action. Bottom metal inlet is standard Savage Premium style, but uses plastic bottom metal that accepts the plastic bottomed Axis mags. LWH barrel contour is lighter than a standard sporter so no barrel channel issues.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Team Savage
    The difference in weight between the standard and LWH actions is only 1.5 to 2.0 oz. The weight savings is mainly due to LW 20" barrel vs. 22" sporter barrel (6 oz difference). The SA LWH walnut stock is more compact with slimmer profile at 27 oz vs. 14 American Classic walnut stock at 37 oz. The LWH also has plastic TG and DBM assembly which are several oz lighter than metal bottom parts. A Savage 22" sporter barrel will fit the LWH small shank action and LWH stock with only minor sanding to open up barrel channel at forearm tip.

Basic Member
    As someone who owns several lightweight hunters I can tell you personally that a standard action will not fit in a wood lwh stock. By standard I mean a comparable bottom release action.

Basic Member
    Thank you all very much. This is the information that I was wanting to know!

Basic Member
    Personally i'd look at a ruger American which comes in at 6.25lbs and cut a couple inches off the 3006 barrel if you want to save a few more ozs. But I'm a pretty cheap dude. I'm not one to buy a rifle for 100s more to save a little weight.

Basic Member
    maybe I like to play in a different camp but is the gun currently a shooter? (the 300wsm) if it is and you didn't want to spend the coin on a new rig(don't get me wrong theres never a bad reason to buy a new gun if you can swing it ) A majority of the weight is in the barrel and stock. both of which could be replaced or better yet modified.

you could remove the brake then put on a thread protector and have the barrel re-profiled to a lightweight profile. you could probably shed up to 1lb here depending how thick it is now. this also helps balance which to me can make a rifle feel lighter.

and 1 other place you need to pay attention to is scope, rings and bases. you could get one of those $1700 kimbers and throw heavy glass and mounts on it defeating the purpose.

I think having the barrel profiled and putting it in another stock could easily get you within a half pound of the kimbers for alot less money.

Basic Member
    I already have a 4-14 BDC scope that weighs in about 17 ounces that is going on whatever I get, and that is in contrast to the 30 ounce scope that is on my 300 WSM Bear Hunter. I am sure overall with the sling I am over 10 1/2 lbs on the 300 WSM Bear Hunter, and over 9 1/2 on the 116 7MM Rem Mag.
    The goal is to be around 7 1/2 with scope and sling.

Basic Member
    In case you all were on the edge of your seat, I did buy a new rifle. Long story.

I had decided that I was going to get a Kimber Hunter in 280 AI, so I saw a sale at Midway for loaded shells and reloading dies and purchased 100 280 AI Nosler Ballistic Tips at $27 per box. I figured that was a great price since just brass is more than that for the 280 AI.

The problem, I read so many horror stories after I ordered the dies and shells about how Kimbers are either a good one or a bad one and sometimes nothing short of a rebarrel can help the group size. I decided that I was going to buy a 10T in the 300 WSM and rebarrel to a 280AI and just live with the weight. The horror stories got me too nervous. So I went to Cabelas and got the 10T-SR in 300 Win Mag and then decided to go to Scheels and what do you know. I found a Kimber Classic 280 AI that was new that someone won on a raffle and didn't want the gun so they were selling it as used. It isn't as light as the Hunter model, but the walnut stock looks a lot nicer and still comes in just over 6 LBS. I ended up putting a 24 ounce scope on it, so the total package came in just under 8 LBS. I can live with that. :)
    The first group at 300 yards were about a 3 inch group. not bad for a hunting rifle that is not broke in yet.
    So now I have 2 more guns instead of one

Happy ending. I can honestly say I would have went the exact route you went if I were going to buy a rifle.

Basic Member
    I'll second what was said above. I wouldn't wish a sub 8 lb magnum on my worst enemy haha. Even short action calibers and lighter long actions will bite in a rifle under say 7 lbs.

I personally owned a Kimber Hunter in 308 and I honestly didn't enjoy that gun at all. Even if it was for the specific purpose of mountain hunting, if you a gun isn't fun to shoot, you won't practice with it and you aren't doing your quarry any justice.

That said the recoil wasn't horrible so if you're going light, go short action. The only way I'd consider a light magnum would be to have it braked.

That's just my 2 cents.

Basic Member
    I should mention that the first time out on the range was with factory 140 grain Nosler Ballistic Tips and it really didn't kick too bad. I think I am going to like that 280 AI, and I might even rebarrel something else in it with a super easy to rebarrel savage