Thread: Video Rig

Basic Member

Video Rig

Pictured is My Axis XP 6.5 Creedmoor equipped with a Chinese copy of the Go-Pro mini cam. I got the camera from the Top Hatter auction site for $9.00 with the purchase of a 32GB mini SD card, my total cost was less than $25.00.
    The camera does not have a zoom feature (neither does a Go-Pro) but I have experimented with a video of vehicles in my neighborhood, parked 150 +or- yards away. The video is pretty clear and sharp. I will have to see how the rig works in early morning or late evening low-light conditions at my ranch.
    Others have suggested that I mount the camera on a tripod or head strap, I want the subject that I shoot (whitetailed deer) centered in my videos and the scope mount makes that possible, the tripod or head strap, no so much!
    Another issue is the result of recoil and I plan on taking the rifle to a range in the near future.
    What think you??

[IMG]
    Last edited by Bad Bob; 04-13-2018 at 07:29 PM. Reason: URL problem..

Basic Member
    Whether you realize it or not, mounting the camera to the scope puts a lot of stress on the scope tube during recoil.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

It is a 30 dollar scope Fred!

Basic Member
    The accessories package that came with the camera included a soft rubber gasket that is installed between the rings that attach it to my scope. If I remember my Engineering education well, a tube is stiffer than a solid bar of the same diameter. That said, you may be correct that the recoil will stress the scope...as Robinhood said, so what??

Basic Member
    Yeah.....I know it's a 30 $ scope, meaning the easier it will be trashed. The rubber gasket is even a worse idea, it let's the camera flex and get momentum. Even though the camera doesn't weigh much, it's still like a lever sticking that far above. You'd be better off using a full length piccatinny rail and mount off that.

Basic Member
    Shooter...You need to know that the rifle is a 6.5 Creedmoor, shooting MY RELOADS. It ain't exactly a 7 millimeter magstompyerasshardkickinboommachine. A picatinny rail?? ROTHFLMAO! Exactly how much "momentum" do you think will be produced?? The whole idea was to do this on the cheap, it's not for Hollywood production, capiche?? BTW, where can I buy a new 3X9 Weaver scope for $30.00?? The Savage shooters on this site need to know..

Basic Member
    I Hope it works. If you have taken any physics/engineering classes, why would you get all defensive. I believe his points are valid. Please keep us updated, It would be NICE to have for sure.

I would listen to Sharpshooter... In case ya'll haven't figured out who sharpshooter is: It's Fred from Sharp Shooter Supply!!!! There is nobody that knows more about Savage rifles or what you can and can't do with them than Fred.

If he says it.... I'd take it as BIBLICAL... However, that brings up the old saying "You can only lead a horse to water"...

to each their own,

To remove the stress from the scope mount the camera to the front rings. But, you will film the deer or target until you fire, I don't believe you will film the hit because of recoil.

Basic Member
    Sharpshooter wants to mount the camera on a piccatinny rail. Want to tell me how to do that AND mount the scope so I can see the target?? He also has not divulged the source of purchasing a Weaver 3X9 for $30. (Maybe Sharp Shooter Supply??)
    You expect me to believe he is an expert??

Basic Member
    Arky wants to mount the camera on the front scope ring??? So that puts it even higher than when it's mounted on the scope tube...a good plan?? Not!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    I Hope it works. If you have taken any physics/engineering classes, why would you get all defensive. I believe his points are valid. Please keep us updated, It would be NICE to have for sure.
    I have an Engineering degree. The reason I get "defensive?" is individuals offering advice without thinking things thru. As an example: Mounting the camera AND scope on a piccatinny rail. Think about it..if you mount the camera behind the scope, you cannot look thru the scope, if you mount the camera ahead of the scope you cannot see the target. Got it?
    If the set up I have does not work, I will tell you and post results here. Think of it as a lab experiment. There is no patent involved, if anyone else decides to try it, I provided a method.

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Bob View Post
    Sharpshooter wants to mount the camera on a piccatinny rail. Want to tell me how to do that AND mount the scope so I can see the target?? He also has not divulged the source of purchasing a Weaver 3X9 for $30. (Maybe Sharp Shooter Supply??)
    You expect me to believe he is an expert??
    Careful, your ignorance is showing.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Bad Bob, I was playing with Fred. It is an inexpensive scope. I take responsibility for the 30 dollar scope remark. I have a box full of them. I don't use them. But it is yours. You can do what you want with it. That's all I meant. as for mounting it on a rail I believe the intent was some rings have a top half of ring that is a piccitinny. That could be what was implied.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arky 223 View Post
    To remove the stress from the scope mount the camera to the front rings. But, you will film the deer or target until you fire, I don't believe you will film the hit because of recoil.

I think this will be the first failure. My 12fv 6.5cm puts up a pretty surprising bounce for as heavy as the barrel is. A muzzle brake would help.

You're a big time "egoneer" ... So shouldnt you already know the answer before you made this thread? BTW I have a source for the 3-9 weaver that came with your gun, there's one in my trash can.

Before everbody(texan speak) jumps on the bandwagon to beat up the new guy look here........................

Basic Member
    I've shot quite a few hunting videos. Almost all were done alone. By far the best way was with the camera mounted on a tree. I was able to make the shot with the deer centered and then follow the deer after the shot. Most all were when I was testing subsonic expanding bullets.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BB68 View Post
    You're a big time "egoneer" ... So shouldnt you already know the answer before you made this thread? BTW I have a source for the 3-9 weaver that came with your gun, there's one in my trash can.
    So share your source for the $30 Weavers..The uninformed, unwashed, timid souls on this site need to know! EBAY???

Basic Member
    [QUOTE=Robinhood;433097]Before everbody(texan speak) jumps on the bandwagon to beat up the new guy look here........................

[/QU

Well lookie (Texan) here, another unwashed citizen with a camera mounted on a rifle scope. I can't wait for the Geniuses on this blog to explain how THIS one will not work.
    BTW, nice camera. I wish my el cheapo had the zoom feature..

Basic Member
    The source for $30 Weavers is ....Weaver directly. That's what Savage pays for them.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpshooter View Post
    The source for $30 Weavers is ....Weaver directly. That's what Savage pays for them.
    So YOU can't buy one at that price huh? FWIW, I will take all of the 3X9 Weavers Savage Shooters want to throw away..just send me a P.M. so we can work out the details....

Well....THAT escalated quickly!

They've done studies you know. Sixty percent of the time it works every time.