Thread: Questions on bedding a Boyd's center feed blind mag stock

Basic Member

Question Questions on bedding a Boyd's center feed blind mag stock

Two questions. First the box in the Boyds stock for the magazine is 1/16 inch shorter than the factory box and there is now way to get the magazine retaining clip in the Boyd's stock as it is. Do you remove some wood from the boss at the barrel end of the box or from the rear of the box. Second question deals with the clip. On a factory stock the clip effectively sits on top of the "pillar". It is slotted to go around the rear action screw. I am pillar bedding/bedding the Boyds stock and wondered how you handle this issue. My inclination is to inlet the stock and reshape the clip so that it sits slightly below and around the pillar so as to avoid introducing any unwanted torque stress to the receiver.

Basic Member
    You described pretty much what I did. I used threaded lighting tube, which is described all over, as my pillars. In the rear, to allow the full pillar size, I ended up needing to modify the trigger housing a touch. Might have been better to modify the pillar. Just an FYI...

I used a Prairie Hunter, in SA, blind, center feed for my stainless 12FVSS. Was a really nice looking rig, till I got greedy and rebarreled to a heavier barrel in 6.5 CM, then needed to take out too much wood for the barrel and ended up looking, well rather bastardized. You live and learn.

I followed advice that I found on a couple of sites about how to completely stress relieve the receiver and barrel. I dremeled out the stock pretty evenly, opened up the action screw holes to beyond the pillars. Same with lug and barrel. Then wrapped about 3 rounds of electrical tape around the barrel and worked over the receiver end till the receiver was "floating". No touch. With the barrel snugged into the barrel channel with rubber surgical tubing. Then you bed. All in one step, with bottom metal coated with wax, holes and etc in receiver filled with plumbers putty and waxed etc.

When you are done, the receiver is bedded with the barrel perfectly aligned in the stock, and no parts have any stress. The action screws have not distorted the action. etc.

But anyhow, there are dozens of ways to bed. Putting pillars in to allow for metal to metal to metal contact is key....

It would be darn handy if Boyd’s offered a stock that was “ready to bed” maybe even including pillars. That way a guy could finish it himself and not have to spend the extra time working on removing stock material and risk splitting the stock. Would be less work for them too!

Basic Member
    What I have done and found/figured out. First the magazine box. I went back and forth between the factory stock and Boyd's with magazine. Looking straight down through the loading/ejection port from the front of the gun it is clear that Boyd's stock has pushed the magazine block to rear by nearly an 1/8 of an inch. I took a very sharp chisel and removed most of the boss that they left at the front of the box. This provides the right amount of space to put the box and the clip in place. It is still slightly further to the rear than the factory stock but will work fine. Using a dremel tool I opened the slot on the clip so that it will fit around rear pillar. The rear pillar will sit every so slightly proud of the clip making sure that the receiver is sitting on the pillar and not be influenced by the clip. Much left to do.