Thread: Savage Action Screws

Basic Member

Savage Action Screws

I picked up a 12FV from Cabelas and swapped on an Accustock with detachable mag. I learned the front action screw is shorter for the detachable mag models. Does anyone know the factory length for this screw? The stock was originally from a 10T, but I assume several models would use the same action screws. The 12FV screw was 1.21" overall and threads into the action area at least .25" to far I would guess.

Basic Member
    I will check when I get home, but I just went to the hardware store and got the two sizes shorter and one worked perfect.

Basic Member
    Yes, all the dbm front action screws are the same length. It needs to be a little bit shorter than what the 12fv front action screw is down to where the threads start.

(cut a fully threaded screw to the length of 12fv screw up to the threads and grind it down a bit to clean the cut edge of the threads.) If it works, it works. If too long, it will interfere with the bolt. Grind some more.

Basic Member
    I wanted to update this thread in case anyone ever runs into the same issue. The shorter screw is 11/16" or very close to it.

Quote Originally Posted by foxx View Post
    Yes, all the dbm front action screws are the same length. It needs to be a little bit shorter than what the 12fv front action screw is down to where the threads start.

(cut a fully threaded screw to the length of 12fv screw up to the threads and grind it down a bit to clean the cut edge of the threads.) If it works, it works. If too long, it will interfere with the bolt. Grind some more.
    Hint...
    Place a nut on the bolt before cutting or grinding the threads. When done just unthread the bolt from the nut and it cleans the thread nicely.
    Also, not sure about the 12FV but for a 110 the action bolts are 1/4 x 28 (UNF) thread.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigun View Post
    Hint...
    Place a nut on the bolt before cutting or grinding the threads. When done just unthread the bolt from the nut and it cleans the thread nicely.
    Good tip!

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michigun View Post
    Hint...
    Also, not sure about the 12FV but for a 110 the action bolts are 1/4 x 28 (UNF) thread.
    +1

I bought bolts and nuts from a local hardware store. I removed the bolt from the action and screwed on the bolts. I then looked inside the action and marked them where they were protruding.. I then clamped the bolts (vise on nuts) to shorten the bolts. I cut them slightly shorter than the mark and took the nuts off to clean the threads. It only took a few minutes. I will never buy specific bolts for Savage rifles again. It was far cheaper to buy the generic ones and I like to tinker and learn new things.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    I picked up a 12FV from Cabelas and swapped on an Accustock with detachable mag. I learned the front action screw is shorter for the detachable mag models. Does anyone know the factory length for this screw? The stock was originally from a 10T, but I assume several models would use the same action screws. The 12FV screw was 1.21" overall and threads into the action area at least .25" to far I would guess.
    Did you swap out the recoil lug as well? The accustock takes a different (smaller) recoil lug AFAIK. They sure look different on my accustock versus conventional actions......

Basic Member
    Hardware store will work in a pinch, but best to get some quality, Made in the USA hardened steel cap heads rather than the usual cheap, soft Chicom crap sold at the big box and most hardware stores.
    McMaster Carr....

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dantheman View Post
    Call Savage and tell them what you have and they'll mail you what you need for $10. That's what they did for me about a month ago.

We have a Fastenall locally that has the good quality 1/4X28 bolts at a very reasonable price.