Thread: Prairie Dog Optics

Acera

Prairie Dog Optics

I'm in the process of putting together a P dog rig for my first hunt in SD. What would be the standard or optimal power of a scope for a .223. I'm not sure of range out to (400 -500 yds?) to have to little or to much (heat waves?) I've been looking at Trijicon, Zeiss has 20x, Nikon has 24x, 32x Bushnell 24x, 30x etc.. I have a Burris Signature Select Series 4-16x44mm mil-dot.

Thanks

Re: Prairie Dog Optics

A 6.5-20 scope is a nice scope to have for out there, but during the heat of the day you usually cannot go over 16-18x due to the mirage. So your current scope will work just fine.

My first trip I used a fixed 10x Leupold on my 22-250, and shot out to 600 yards with it fine. The extra power just makes it easier to dial in on the longer ones though. Last year I used a Vortex Viper 6.5-20x50 to shoot out to 850 yards and had no troubles. Very good scopes at decent prices. I now have 4 of them.
    ”I have a very strict gun control policy: if there’s a gun around, I want to be in control of it.”
    ~Clint Eastwood

BigDog

A 6-18 or 5-20 power scope should do you well. It is nice to have the extra power to pick out those little eyes and ears sticking out of the grass along the fence posts! ;D I too just got a Vortex 6.5-20X44 scope. I have only used it out to 100 yards as I was breaking in my new 20 VarTarg barrel so the jury is still out in it. I think it should work well, especially for the money. They have an unconditional guaranty. There are several nice scopes and you should look through them to see which ones you like the best. I work at a Wholesale Sports store at the gun counter so I get to check them out. People will look through 3 different brands and pick out different scopes as one will look better to them than the others.

miker

Take a look at a bushnell eliete 3200 5-15x40 tatical had mill dot and large knobs for quick adjustments just got one for p doging this year worked great always retuned to zero very clear and comes with a sunshade

AVanGorder

Mueller Scope

I bought a Mueller scope a while back but wasn't sure if it was worth a darn or not. I mounted it, tried in in all sorts of conditions for a number of months. The bottom line is that I like it so much I bought 4 more of them. All of mine are the Mueller 8.5-25X44. They work fantastic in the PDog fields. I have them on ARs as well as bolt guns and I can't say enough good about them.... And they are only about $150. For the price, I was worried they'd be junk. But, once again, they are great. I do plan on buying more of them.

When you first get to the PDog fields, you'll have your scoped cranked up full blast. Then, as time progresses, you'll notice that you're turning the scope down. About 14X is where I do most all my shooting. My Son sets his at 12 and leaves it there all day.

Adrian

That's a Mueller scope in this pic of my ARs.

[img width=494 height=450]http://photos.imageevent.com/avangorder/guns/variouspics/large/615%20Yard%20PD.jpg[/img]

Joe O

What you have now will be fine.You will know what changes you would like to make,if any,after your first trip.I had to go to a finer reticle on one of my guns.
    Depending on your eyesight (read old)you may want more power.Main thing is a fine reticle,so it doesn't block out the small targets beyond 300yds.