Thread: Short range benchrest stock for Savage

Basic Member

Short range benchrest stock for Savage

I sat in on my first short range benchrest shoot last weekend and I’d like to continue. However I need a discipline appropriate stock. Who makes a true short range benchrest stock for a Savage action?

Sharp Shooter Supply.

Basic Member
    I looked there, and none of their stocks fit the short range benchrest style. They have 2 long range benchrest stocks and some other stocks that don’t have a 3” flat forend. I know Stockade makes one but I have already been down that road and for reasons I won’t go into I don’t want to do that again.

Basic Member
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

I'm going to try one of these. I have been told they take some work.

Basic Member
    Sharpshooter is a bench rest shooter, so i would think he could offer some information.
    You could also ask questions at a match.
    Bill Shahene also offers benchrest stocks, i believe the Tracker series?
    Some stock duplicators would no doubt have a pattern for what you want also.
    And as a last resort you could take a basic wood stock, laminate more wood onto it and make your own.
    Check Shahenes website.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Evlshnngns View Post
    http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

I'm going to try one of these. I have been told they take some work.
    I have several of them, they do make into a very nice stock, but you heard right, they come to you very rough.

I met a gentleman at my local club who shot 100/200 with rem action glued to CF stocks made by a guy in Detroit. Anyway, I had the pleasure of watching him for couple of hours. He
    used a Farley front rest and his stock did the slide and back to battery thing each time.
    SSS benchrest stock will most likely work for ya, if you don't like the wide frontend, hey, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who can sell you a saw to chop that off ;-).
    All jokes aside, SSS stocks are the shizzle,

I am an off-hand shooter of mostly garands and vintage mil so take the above with couple of cannolis pls [but I do have a half a dozen of em stocks]

Quote Originally Posted by Stockrex View Post
    SSS benchrest stock will most likely work for ya, if you don't like the wide frontend, hey, I know a guy, who knows a guy, who can sell you a saw to chop that off ;-).
    All jokes aside, SSS stocks are the shizzle,
    I hope so. I purchased the SSS LVT for my model 12 .308 FT-R back in June 2017 and still waiting for it. This stock better impress the heck out of me when I do get it.

I have a Shehane " Baby Tracker" sitting in the corner of my reloading room, it will fit a 4.40 3 screw PTA or a 2 screw short action, it will need to be rebidded for your action. Cost me almost $900 send me a decent offer and it is yours.

This is the stock.
    Last edited by rjtfroggy; 04-13-2018 at 06:49 AM.
    FROGGY
    See profile for fire arms
    Do it today there maybe no tomorrow

Team Savage
    As far as 3" forearms, ever one of my Richard's Micro Fit stocks ARE that wide. I think I have or have had maybe 6/8/10 or so? Bench rest thumb hole designs, no cheek piece and with or without vents in the forearm. Depends on the weight limit. I don't compete so I don't care about the weight restrictions. I prefer "fence post" heavies for bag shooting.
    As stated, Richard's Micro Fit stocks are KNOWN for needing a little to a lot of work to be finish ready. Depends on which day they get cut.
    I've had them come looking like they were cut with dull kitchen knife to not bad at all. I don't mind the extra work to get them ready to finish and I keep in mind that every bit of effort I put into that stock makes it MINE! And no one else that cuts stocks have their style selection and those prices. IMHO, they're a win/win in the stock business. Order one up, sit back and wait and when it shows up, it's Christmas!! Most of mine are at least pillar bedded and a few are fitted with Whidden V Blocks. Wait time is usually 2 to 2 1/2 months. Well worth the wait.
    Oz never gave nothing to the Tin Man, that he didn't already have.