Thread: Confused about Savage barrel threads

Confused about Savage barrel threads

Recently purchased a Stealth 10b rifle with threaded barrel for a muzzle break or can. Threads are 5/8 x 24. Purchased a VG6 Gamma Compensator to install which has the same thread measurements but it is a no-go! Called Savage and they say it should work and have a call into Gamma but have heard nothing. Confused as to what I should try next as I am sort of an impatient person! I will try stopping at Menards tomorrow to see if I can find any bolts or nuts to see which item maybe is not threaded correctly. Has anyone else had any issues like this?

Basic Member
    You won't find any bolts or nuts in that size at Menards or anywhere else. Chances are that the compensator is the culprit, not the barrel threads, providing that they are factory threads. If it is factory threaded, it should have come with a thread protector.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Yes the gun came with a thread protector which works fine. Guess I will wait to hear from the compensator folks. (Thanks for saving me the trip to Menards.)

You should be able to look at the threads and tell the difference.

Basic Member
    Just because they are both 5/8x24 doesn't mean that they are the same. They both have 24 threads per inch- but those threads can vary in pitch, height, and a number of other things. Generally companies use a spec that lets them work with other brands- but not always. That could be what you are running into--

Quote Originally Posted by Whynot View Post
    Just because they are both 5/8x24 doesn't mean that they are the same. They both have 24 threads per inch- but those threads can vary in pitch, height, and a number of other things. Generally companies use a spec that lets them work with other brands- but not always. That could be what you are running into--
    Agreed, I was thinking the wrong thread was sent but I do remember one that was melonite coated with the correct thread that had to have the coating removed to go on.

So there are several Gamma models, Verify on the package that it says 7.62

I contacted the manufacturer and they paid to have it shipped back. They are thinking happened on their end that messed up the pitch. Just waiting for a new one in the mail.