Thread: gun case for heavy rifle

Team Savage

gun case for heavy rifle

In search of a good gun case to haul my heavy gun around
    to the range and back home..50 inch preferred ..Have been
    looking at soft cases,but it needs to be made rugged..
    Tell me your ideas,,needs to be able to carry cleaning rod..

Pelican 1750 is what the doctor ordered.

Basic Member
    If you have some tools, like a small table saw and a variable speed drill you can make one pretty easily.
    Just make a box of the appropriate size with hinges, latches and a handle.
    I used a 1x6 pine board for the sides with 3/8" plywood on both sides.
    Make a solid box in one pc first, then run the hinge side thru the saw and install the hinges before cutting the other 3 sides of the lid.
    That way everything lines up perfectly and its also easier. Then add the latches and handle and foam on the inside.
    You can fancy it up with corner hardware etc, but its not necessary, nor is any paint or stain.
    That will do a super job of protecting the gun/scope at a low cost.
    I used those for many years with them shoved into pickups and SUVs with zero gun issues.
    I'm talking 30# guns with full length 1"250 36" barrels.
    Other stuff can be piled on top with no problems.
    About 20 years ago i started using Jeep Wranglers as a dedicated hunting rig, and the big box became an issue.
    I got very heavy duty canvas with thick padding custom size cases made at a very reasonable cost at
    Morton gun cases in Capicon W V. 304-947-7793.
    They will make any size or shape you want for less than $50 for all the various sizes ive bought.
    I'm looking at a cased 700 Rem with a 30" barrel, and its in a Morton 53"x 10" high case.
    Theres at least 3" more length than needed, and a 6.5x20 Leupold fits on nicely.
    If i had known about these back then, i wouldn't have bothered with the wood boxes.
    As for factory hard cases, Pelican is top shelf but very pricey.
    In the jeeps, the long barreled cased guns are loaded in the middle with the barrels between the seats, or on a behind the seats platform where they will fit side to side.

I wish you would post pictures buck.

Team Savage
    I'm a fan of the Red Oxx Varmint Master case. Great soft case, made to length for your rifle, but definitely not inexpensive.

https://www.redoxx.com/varmint-maste.../91074/product

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    I'm a fan of the Red Oxx Varmint Master case. Great soft case, made to length for your rifle, but definitely not inexpensive.

https://www.redoxx.com/varmint-maste.../91074/product
    Well, I'm sure that is a very good case.
    But, for fifty bucks or less you will get one as good, made to your size/shape specs with a large pocket and sling from Morton.
    Down side is i think they only come in basic black, no designer colors.
    I had them make me one special sized for my Wild rangefinder, and another for some custom front rest equiptment.

Quote Originally Posted by Robinhood View Post
    Pelican 1750 is what the doctor ordered.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by yobuck View Post
    As for factory hard cases, Pelican is top shelf but very pricey.
    Well, the OP didn't mention what's he's toting, but it's all relative to the cost of what's going in it. I got my last 1750 on sale for $199 w/free shipping, but it looks like going price right now is around $240. I'm certainly not going to go out and buy one for my Mark ii, but when you've got a $2200 rifle, $2000 scope, and a $1300 silencer, that same $240 is now less than 5% the cost of the rig... very cheap insurance for top shelf protection.

Basic Member
    Well i'll admit i don't have a silencer on mine lol.
    I'm very familiar with Pelican cases and they are top shelf.

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...4.uts?slotId=9

I went with this one for my 260 Rem... It's not a pelican but it's close... Leaves room inside for your rangefinder, sunshade, bipod, silencer, and 50 rounds of ammo (ammo box). I can confirm that it is also waterproof. left it in the back of my truck during Elk season 0 degrees outside and snowing... when I opened it up, it looked just like it did when I put it in the case in my nice warm house...

https://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabe...9.uts?slotId=2

Or this one for a soft case... Fits my 260 also with 6-24x50 Sightron Scope with 25" barrel. leaves a little room too in case I ever get the Muzzle brake for it... Don't think it will be long enough with the Silencer attached though.... In fact I don't know of any that are long enough to accommodate the CAN.

If you find one, please post it back to this thread...

Have had a Pelican/Storm-Hardigg IM3300 case for 10+ years now. Great case, but heavy - which is why I rarely use it. The small wheels on one end are nice though as you can pull it like a piece of luggage rather than have to carry it.

Also have a couple of the Plano All Weather Tactical cases (42") that are nice. No wheels on these, but this case isn't as heavy as the Pelican due to the plastic being thinner. Good case for day-to-day use and has good latches with keyed locks, but not sure if I'd trust it to be "airline gorilla baggage handler proof" due to the thinner material.

Here's the 51" version though I wouldn't try to put two scoped boilt-action rifles in it. I tried that with my IM3300 when I first got it - leaves very little foam between scope and outer edge of case and replacement foam is almost as expensive as the case itself.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain