Thread: Torque specs action screws model 12FV

Basic Member

Torque specs action screws model 12FV

I'm having some issues with cold bore shots and I think it might be my action screws torque settings on my 12FV.

So the last two times at the range I had a fouled barrel and prior to those range sessions, had everything zeroed and trued. Using custom handholds that shoot amazingly well, except for the first few shots out of a cold barrel.

Remember: these are all with a fouled barrel, so fouling rounds are not the issue.

See my target from Sunday:

[IMG][/IMG]

So I hit the range Sunday after having zeroed on Friday. Didn't touch the gun in between, no cleaning, nothing. First three shots I aimed at the center square. As you can see, shot 1 was way left, shot 2 was closer, shot three closer still.

Shot 4 I decided to aim for the bottom right square. Thats 4 shots touching and one shot 1/2" low. I then decided it was good and had excellent results out to 1,000. Heck I had a 3 shot group at 1,000 within 4-5" of each other.

This rifle tends to do this on cold bore shots. I'm thinking it's my action screw torque settings. I just torqued them both to 30 or 35 in. lbs. and left it. Can't recall if it was 30 or 35, but either way I set both the same.

What do you guys set the rear screw to? I read that 30-35 is right for the front one, but is the rear one different? I read somewhere to start with 5 in. lbs. on the rear one and tighten it up by 5 lbs increments until you get a good group.

Is that correct? I've been scratching my head on this one, and all things point to the action screws. The gun shoots amazing once it's warmed, but the first shots off a cold barrel are off L/R consistently. I haven't done a good job of really letting the barrel cool down all the way after I hit the range and start shooting, but I'll have to do some testing when I have some time and play with the action screw settings.

Seem reasonable? Just curious what you guys are setting the action screws to, and if you find they need to be set differently. Thanks!

I heard 40-45 in lbs.... I've also heard 60-65 in lbs... I have mine torqued to 60 in lbs on both screws in my Boyds stocks that have been pillared. Bump it up to 40-45 in lbs and see if it changes anything...

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    I heard 40-45 in lbs.... I've also heard 60-65 in lbs... I have mine torqued to 60 in lbs on both screws in my Boyds stocks that have been pillared. Bump it up to 40-45 in lbs and see if it changes anything...
    40-45 seems high for plastic stock. I think it's higher for laminate/fiberglass stocks, but Savage calls for 30-35 on plastic. That being said, I'm curious if the rear one needs to be set lighter or both should function at the same torque setting.

I have mine set the same, but I have also heard that the rear screw can sometimes run at a lighter torque setting. 20-25 is the case I heard.

http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

just read this and give it a try... Most guys find 35-40 to be the sweet spot... YMMV

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    http://www.accurateshooter.com/techn...torque-tuning/

just read this and give it a try... Most guys find 35-40 to be the sweet spot... YMMV
    That’s the same one I was just reading when looking for answers.
    Looks like he sets the front one at 30-35 and then plays with the rear one in increments of 5.

I misunderstood that article at first because he was describing a three screw action. I missed the part at first about doing the same with a 2 action screw gun and just tinkering with the rear one.

I’ll be giving it a shot hopefully this week.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk