So I have this project that has been in the works for a long time. I wanted to build a left hand target 308. I bought a used complete basic sporter model 10 for a good deal off gunbroker. I tore it down sent the action off and had it timed and trued. I ordered a x-caliber 26 inch, 1in bull in 308, 1-10 twist, 5R. I also ordered a choate ultimate varmint stock and had CDI machine it for their DBM.
It took about 6-7 months to get the barrel from x-caliber, it finally came in last week. So just yesterday I started putting it all together. I get the barrel on and head spaced, scope base on, slap a coat of paint on it and then put it in the stock.
After torquing the action screws and looking it over, I noticed the barrel is not in the stock evenly. There is a large gap on the left, and hardly and gap on the right. At first I thought the stock was warped. But looking down the barrel from the action, down the scope base, you can see the barrel pointing to the right.
I take the action back out of the stock, put a straight edge on the side of the receiver and find the same. Large gap on the left, barely any gap on the right. I loosen the barrel nut and turn the barrel 90 degrees, still the same, turn it another 90 degrees, still the same. So I know it can't be the barrel as it would change depending on how it is rotated. I pull the barrel and check it anyways. Straight as can be. I can screw the barrel back in and as I start tightening the nut, the barrel starts pulling right. I took my calipers and measure about 1/4in down on the left and right side of the receiver between the threads and the outside. There is about 3-4 thousandths difference between the left and right.
So it appears the threads in the receiver are drilled crooked. I now have a very expensive paperweight. Is there anything at all that can be done, or is buying another action/rifle my only option?