Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Receiver threads drilled crooked

Basic Member

Latest update is they are still waiting for the thread mic to arrive and should be here this week. Maybe try Amazon Prime next time...

I also got my outside mic set in and with the 3 wire setup I am getting 1.0293". That would put it in 3A territory. Can anyone comment for sure on what class the fit is supposed to be?

Basic Member
    I emailed them last night for a update as I had not heard anything since I sent the barrel back. He said they had a employee drop their go gauge and they had to send it out to be re calibrated.
    Not sure what type of go gauge he is talking about though.

Basic Member
    According to factory prints it should be 3A, with a pitch diameter of 1.033" -1.036" for a standard shank, and 1.089" - 1.091" for a large shank.
    "As long as there's lead in the air....there's still hope.."

Basic Member
    Update time.... X-Cal just called and they got their new pitch mic in and what do ya know, the barrel threads were off! They started looking at their machinery and something was "wrong, loose, worn". The customer service guy was talking several possible things, but I don't think he has a clue. I didn't try and ask about the supposed go/no-go gauge he referred to previously. He did claim they know of 3 barrels that were made wrong. So bottom line is I am getting a new one expedited out and I hope they learned a quality control lesson here.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    Update time.... X-Cal just called and they got their new pitch mic in and what do ya know, the barrel threads were off! They started looking at their machinery and something was "wrong, loose, worn". The customer service guy was talking several possible things, but I don't think he has a clue. I didn't try and ask about the supposed go/no-go gauge he referred to previously. He did claim they know of 3 barrels that were made wrong. So bottom line is I am getting a new one expedited out and I hope they learned a quality control lesson here.
    Came to post the same thing. They called me and we had pretty much the exact same conversation.
    The nitrating will take a few extra weeks, so I will update when I get the new barrel.

Basic Member
    Good to hear that they have found their issue and are taking care of you.

Basic Member
    So while I my .243 replacement barrel is in the mail I unexpectedly received my .223 barrel a couple days ago. Just pulled out my 3 wire setup and she is about 1.0285 which puts in right in the middle of 3A terrority. And screwing it into my actions shows that it's the same fit as an OEM barrel. Happy that this one appears like it will work and now to get it installed and headspaced. Hope it's a shooter....

Glad they took care of you. I am on the fourth month wait for barrel I ordered from them hoping mine was not one of the four bad ones...

Celltech, I think you learned a bunch about threads and pitch diameter!

Well what do you know, the barrel I am waiting on the guy who apparently caused these issues with the tooling broke the button reamer on my order as well as a bunch of others and has since been let go and has caused some delays. Now I a, looking at October. I can wait but the timing on getting it all set up is gonna put some pressure on me.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DesertDug View Post
    Well what do you know, the barrel I am waiting on the guy who apparently caused these issues with the tooling broke the button reamer on my order as well as a bunch of others and has since been let go and has caused some delays. Now I a, looking at October. I can wait but the timing on getting it all set up is gonna put some pressure on me.
    So are you saying it was one guy causing all this trouble? And I would have to think that a broke reamer is not that hard to replace. At any rate my .243 barrel came in and the fit is good. I hope to take my new toys out soon and see how they perform...

Quote Originally Posted by JeepsAndGuns View Post
    I emailed them last night for a update as I had not heard anything since I sent the barrel back. He said they had a employee drop their go gauge and they had to send it out to be re calibrated.
    Not sure what type of go gauge he is talking about though.
    J&G A typical gauge for the internal threads;

And for the barrel side or OD threads

(FYI, these are not the same threads as the Savage action and barrel tenon, for information purposes only)

Basic Member
    Yeah, those OD gauges look like they would crumble at the slightest contact with the ground There is something still very fishy about the story that we are not privy to.

Quote Originally Posted by celltech View Post
    So are you saying it was one guy causing all this trouble? And I would have to think that a broke reamer is not that hard to replace. At any rate my .243 barrel came in and the fit is good. I hope to take my new toys out soon and see how they perform...
    That is what I was being told by the fella on the phone. There's always more to the story...

The ones used to check OD are likely to be usable even if dropped.

Basic Member
    Those are nice looking tools.

Basic Member
    We will probably never know the truth behind exactly what is/was happening behind the scenes there. As long as I get my barrel and it is made right, it doesn't really matter to me.

got a call and my barrel is in the mail today.

Basic Member
    I got a bad one from Savage. If pressed, you can get +/- 40 out of Signature Zee rings.

@celltech, I think he means that the barrel threads are crooked, not the action screws

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basic Member
    Just to update. I finally have what I think is a properly made barrel.
    Not sure if everyone reads all the forum sections, but you can see the continuation of this thread here:
    http://www.savageshooters.com/showth...-my-new-barrel

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234