Thread: Savage 110 Tactical Desert Questions

Savage 110 Tactical Desert Questions

All-
    It's been a while since I posted here. I have an old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. The reason for my post is I am looking at buying a 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a couple of questions I thought some of you might know the answers to. They are as follows.
    1. What kind of magazines do these rifles use? Are they proprietary to Savage??
    2. Does anyone have ejection problems with the newer rifles? I always had a terrible time with ejection on my older 110. This new rifle looks sweet, I just want to make sure it's going to perform before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!!

1. It looks like it is running the AICS Mag or comparable...
    2. Savages have weak ejectors and extractors along with an undersized detent ball.. Order the replacement extractor kit. I've had to replace those things in my Axis and it now cycles just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    1. It looks like it is running the AICS Mag or comparable...
    2. Savages have weak ejectors and extractors along with an undersized detent ball.. Order the replacement extractor kit. I've had to replace those things in my Axis and it now cycles just fine.
    Where might I find the replacement kit?

Basic Member
    I've had the ejection issues to. Ordered 100 .140" detent balls from fastenel for like $.40. Cheapest and greatest fix for savages I've found

Quote Originally Posted by SageRat Shooter View Post
    Is the replacement kit sold here better quality so it won't fail as soon? Wondering if one will be enough or if I should order a couple spares.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Is the replacement kit sold here better quality so it won't fail as soon? Wondering if one will be enough or if I should order a couple spares.
    I always keep a spare around.... They are "supposedly" a better quality... I've had good luck with them so far.

I’m also interested in the Desert Tatical but only if it takes Magpul AICS magazines. I looked at one tonight at a local,store but they had the mag out of it. The mag release was on the front of the mag well. I thought AICS mags had the mag release on the rear of the mag well so I’m not sure if it’s a proprietary Savage mag or what. Does anyone have one of these rifles that has tried a magpul AICS mag?? Thanks

Yes

Sportsman's Supply confirmed before I bought mine from them that it has a Magpul magazine. I should have mine in a few days and can confirm. I did hear that some of the earlier models had a proprietary magazine.

Quote Originally Posted by dg870 View Post
    I’m also interested in the Desert Tatical but only if it takes Magpul AICS magazines. I looked at one tonight at a local,store but they had the mag out of it. The mag release was on the front of the mag well. I thought AICS mags had the mag release on the rear of the mag well so I’m not sure if it’s a proprietary Savage mag or what. Does anyone have one of these rifles that has tried a magpul AICS mag?? Thanks

Thanks for the feedback on the magazines, I was curious myself about that. Even though I ultimately decided on an M1A Natl Match, I'm still interested in a 110 Tactical LH in .308 and might still get one down the road to couple with a good Primary Arms scope.

So so I received my 6.5 Creedmoor and it looks very nice. Magpul magazine. But I am completely I satisfied with the gun as a whole. It won't feed from the magazine worth a crap and half of them don't even make it out, just stay sitting in there after the bolt is pulled all the way out. My worst fear has come true. Pay nearly $700 for a rifle that won't feed and won't half eject. Why does Savage have such a hard time with this??

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Cox View Post
    Thanks for the feedback on the magazines, I was curious myself about that. Even though I ultimately decided on an M1A Natl Match, I'm still interested in a 110 Tactical LH in .308 and might still get one down the road to couple with a good Primary Arms scope.

Thanks for the report. Sorry the gun won’t feed ammo. Hopefully Savage will make it right with you. It’s a pain in the butt to deal with. Too bad companies use buyers for beta testers for their new products rather than ensuring they work right out of the box. Please keep us posted on how they treat you.. good luck

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tarboroheel1 View Post
    So so I received my 6.5 Creedmoor and it looks very nice. Magpul magazine. But I am completely I satisfied with the gun as a whole. It won't feed from the magazine worth a crap and half of them don't even make it out, just stay sitting in there after the bolt is pulled all the way out. My worst fear has come true. Pay nearly $700 for a rifle that won't feed and won't half eject. Why does Savage have such a hard time with this??
    Had the same extraction/ejection issue with all 3 of my 6.5CM's. I replaced the original "3 corner" OEM extractor with the "4 corner" factory replacement part. Night and day difference. Actually functions now as it should have out of the box. I've since learned replacing the small ball bearing under the extractor with a larger one may be enough to cure the extraction issue. Cheaper fix too.

Quote Originally Posted by Harpoon1 View Post
    Had the same extraction/ejection issue with all 3 of my 6.5CM's. I replaced the original "3 corner" OEM extractor with the "4 corner" factory replacement part. Night and day difference. Actually functions now as it should have out of the box. I've since learned replacing the small ball bearing under the extractor with a larger one may be enough to cure the extraction issue. Cheaper fix too.

Where re can I purchase this part?

Basic Member
    Where re can I purchase this part?
    I purchased the extractors from Midway, they were backordered at Brownells. Somehwere like McMaster Carr would probably have the larger ballbearings. If you search the archives, you can probably find what size is recommended, I can't remember off the top of my head.

Edited: Ok I dug it up for you! The ballbearing size is .140 and/or you can apparently use a 9/64 also from Lowes/Home Cheapo/Ace, etc,........

All-
    It's been a while since I posted here. I have an old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag. The reason for my post is I am looking at buying a 110 Tactical Desert in 6.5 Creedmoor. I have a couple of questions I thought some of you might know the answers to. They are as follows.
    1. What kind of magazines do these rifles use? Are they proprietary to Savage??
    2. Does anyone have ejection problems with the newer rifles? I always had a terrible time with ejection on my older 110. This new rifle looks sweet, I just want to make sure it's going to perform before I pull the trigger.

Thanks in advance!!
    I have the 110 Desert Tactical in 6.5CM and it is definitely an AICS magazine which is described on their web page.

I have only fired 20 break-in shots, but so far they all fed and ejected properly, and that is with gentle bolt cycling.

I don't think there was a previous non-AICS version of this rifle as it is a new model, both the FDE and the gray version.

There is one distinction between the gray and FDE versions. The gray is a medium-heavy contour barrel with fluting. The FDE (Desert) version is a heavy barrel without fluting.

I was on the phone with Savage CS and pointed out that they had them listed as an identical weight which the rep agreed couldn't be the case if the gray has a lighter barrel which is also fluted to make it lighter yet. I am going to use the rifle for benchrest and am happy I bought the Desert/heavy barrel version.

I realize this is an old message thread but wanted to provide the additional information about the model options and my own experience, i.e. without problems so far.

Lew