Thread: Savage axis/boyds combo

Basic Member

Savage axis/boyds combo

Hi all, will putting together a 204.
    Axis action
    Boyd's stock
    Heavy on the barrel contour.

Question, I put it together and it's not free floating. Barrel fits in the channel easily, but there is no space around the barrel/stock. My question is, how's the best way to fix this? Open the channel? Add some washers at the action screws?

I was going to pillar it and add some washers, but I'm concerned about the recoil lug (in the stock) and the action not having all their interface and the forces that I'd be putting on that recoil lug and the stock.

Seems if I could raise the action a few fractions of an inch it could work well.

Thoughts?

No.....! you need to take a 5/8" wooden dowel and heavy grit sand paper to start... Then move to a finer grit sandpaper to finish the last little bit. You should be able to slide a couple dollar bills between the stock and barrel all the way down to the recoil lug (in your case, the barrel nut).

Once you have inlet the channel to desired specs, then rub some "TRUOIL" into the sanded surfaces to seal it up again.

Basic Member
    I agree, with our recoil lug you need to get out the sandpaper. I used 80 grit and a couple different deep impact sockets to open the channel of my "heavy barrel" pro varmint axis stock. I still need to seal it, I'll get some truoil or similar.

Basic Member
    Sounds good.
    I've got a dowel and sandpaper.
    Next question. What's the best way to finish it up. I noticed you mentioned truoil. Anything else better?

I also noticed that the stock is a little "tight" at the barrel nut and stock interface. Will that affect anything? I'm thinking it's fine to have that section as tight as possible, so there is no motion.

Team Savage
    I always float the nut

Basic Member
    Thanks. I'll probably leave it and if accuracy leaves something to be desired I'll float it and post the results... Someday.

Basic Member
    Same combo, new queation
    Looking to pillar bed the stock. I have a metal magazine catch that has an integral pillar with it. Where should the pillar end compared to the stock. Should the pillar be proud a few thousandths of an inch or should it be completely flush with the stock before using bedding material?

My worry is shaving off too much of the pillar and then it not contacting the action during the bedding process which seems would defeat the whole purpose . Never bedded, so maybe I'm way off.

Thanks for any help.

Just finished my axis hb 223 with pepper stock . Lucky for me it was a straight fit . Everything was free floated . Took me a couple of minutes to get the trigger and safety lined up though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by godale View Post
    Just finished my axis hb 223 with pepper stock . Lucky for me it was a straight fit . Everything was free floated . Took me a couple of minutes to get the trigger and safety lined up though

Quote Originally Posted by zloe View Post
    Same combo, new queation
    Looking to pillar bed the stock. I have a metal magazine catch that has an integral pillar with it. Where should the pillar end compared to the stock. Should the pillar be proud a few thousandths of an inch or should it be completely flush with the stock before using bedding material?

My worry is shaving off too much of the pillar and then it not contacting the action during the bedding process which seems would defeat the whole purpose . Never bedded, so maybe I'm way off.

Thanks for any help.
    Pillars should be flush with the stock... check them often before installing with bedding material.

Basic Member
    Thanks. So, Basically I should be able to tighten it down and have no play between the stock and the receiver/barrel before the bedding process?

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by godale View Post

Looks nice. I'm not having the same luck. Gonna have to contour the barrel channel a bit it looks like.

Yeah I bet I don’t get away with it on the next one . I am too heavy on stuff o would have to take mine to the gun smith . Lucky for me I was able to mint mine and my smith just checked over my work for a Pepsi . We have bought a few shotguns off of him last year