Thread: Real world accuracy of A22 LR

Basic Member

Real world accuracy of A22 LR

New member here and first post. I am a big fan of Savage CF rifles and their intrinsic accuracy potential, but have no experience with the .22LR models. The A22 LR seems to be a well designed direct competitor to the Ruger 10/22, but seems to get little love on the internet forums. Has anyone done deliberate accuracy testing of the A22 LR to gauge it's true potential? Any known issues with either accuracy or function? The few sources I have found show very casual attempts at testing (usually at only 25 yds.), with a very limited variety of ammo. Anyone stretched the A22LR out to 100 yards with a serious bag/rest setup, and various high quality match ammunition? I understand the A22 is not meant for that type arena and is designed more for hunting/plinking, just curious as to what it can do with a good shooter, good ammo, and good bench set up. I also understand that it is luck of the draw in any factory product of getting an outstanding or mediocre example, and one sample does not mean much. Thanks for any input.

I just got my wife to confirm that it is minute of beer can at 50 yards!! I think it will be a fine shooting rifle

How accurate can it be without a floating bolt head?

Quote Originally Posted by reddeluxe View Post
    New member here and first post. I am a big fan of Savage CF rifles and their intrinsic accuracy potential, but have no experience with the .22LR models. The A22 LR seems to be a well designed direct competitor to the Ruger 10/22, but seems to get little love on the internet forums. Has anyone done deliberate accuracy testing of the A22 LR to gauge it's true potential? Any known issues with either accuracy or function? The few sources I have found show very casual attempts at testing (usually at only 25 yds.), with a very limited variety of ammo. Anyone stretched the A22LR out to 100 yards with a serious bag/rest setup, and various high quality match ammunition? I understand the A22 is not meant for that type arena and is designed more for hunting/plinking, just curious as to what it can do with a good shooter, good ammo, and good bench set up. I also understand that it is luck of the draw in any factory product of getting an outstanding or mediocre example, and one sample does not mean much. Thanks for any input.
    Mine has excellent accuracy at 50 yards with several different types of ammo (CCI Velocitor 40gr, Winchester SuperX 40gr, Remington Golden Bullet 36gr). At 100 yards though, not so great. The CCI and Winchesters at 40gr were the best at 100. If I'm squirrel hunting with it, I'll probably keep my shots under 75 yds. I'm a huge Ruger fan, but I actually prefer the A22 over the 10/22. Easier to clean, and better factory trigger.

A nine month old thread, but thought that I would add to it as a newbie contribution.
    Bought the plain jane A22-22lr with the synthetic stock a few weeks ago & the accuracy is right there or a bit better than my fvsr. It shoots 1/4-5/16" @ 25y & double that at 50y with cci-sv.
    Liked it enough that I bought the hvy bbl thumb hole stock version thinking it might be just a tad more accurate. So far it seems to be the same, but have not worked with it a lot yet.
    I did spend about an hour each in polishing up the sear/hammer interface & seating the accutrigger spring a little to give a cleaner & lighter 2.5# break.
    Have not shot it at 100 yds., but will shoot it in a 25y-50y precision match this Friday against some CZ's & tricked out 10-22s. Will report how it does.
    "First in, last out!"

Basic Member
    Pathfinder1cav, please report back on your pair of A22 LR rifles. Have not found any definite comparisons on these two models yet. Like you, I would expect the heavy barrel version (Pro Varmint) to display a little better accuracy at 50yds. and beyond, than the standard synthetic stocked, sporter weight barrel. If you don't mind, include brand of ammo and magnification power of scope used in your comparison. Thanks much.

Well Red,
    They both have Center Point 4-16X (Walmart $75) scopes on them & I have pretty much settled on using CCI-SV ammo in all my .22s for target shooting. I have tried Wolf Target, SK+ & some Eley and even though they may be a little more consistent, they simply are not worth 3-4 times the $ to me.
    I did shoot the sporter A22 in a precision 25Y match yesterday and came in 2nd by a few points out of 450 to an Annie shooting Wolf MT. There was another Anshutz, 4 RPRs, 2 CZs & some tricked out 10-22s shooting also.
    So for a $280 rifle, I am pleased.
    I had just bedded the THT model with some JB Weld & did not think that it was dry enough, so shot the Sporter. They seem to be about the same so far, but will report back in a few days if the bedding improved anything.
    "First in, last out!"

Basic Member
    Pathfinder, how did the bedded, heavy barrel A22 turn out, accuracy wise, versus the standard sporter?

Red, sorry have not been on this site for awhile.
    I think that the bedding tightened the groups maybe a 1/10", but also I do not see the occasional 3/8"-1/2" flyer.
    A little wind, slight differences in hold or small variations in ammo, just does not let you keep putting them in the same hole

Still, I like shooting the rifle a lot & use it in local competitions with good effect.
    "First in, last out!"

A22 fvsr 1 1/4 to 1 1/2 at 100 with eley force off a bipod on bench at local public range. Haven't tried much ammo wise yet, tomorrow I'm going to try several kinds if the muzzle brake ar crowd isn't too thick lol. An ar10 in 308 on one side and a 5.56 on the other do sent make door precision testing