Thread: Inletting the Accustock for barrel replacement.

Inletting the Accustock for barrel replacement.

I need a medium range 6.5 or 7mm long action rifle with a medium or light varmint contour barrel.

I’m considering buying a brand new 110 in .30-06 or similar chambering, and replacing the barrel with a slightly heavier contour .280AI barrel. It needs to be thick enough to thread the muzzle 5/8”-24 and maintain good accuracy.

Will I be able to inlet the stock to allow for a barrel that is perhaps 0.30” larger diameter without damaging the accustock? That would mean removing approximately 0.15” from the stock. Will the factory aluminum bedding system still work properly with a slightly heavier barrel?

I’m at step zero in this project, I haven’t purchased anything yet, so if you have any other suggestions I’m open to any advice.

The rifle will be used to hunt deer and antelope out to about 500yds. I need knee surgery this summer and I won’t be able to crawl this fall, so I need to be able to shoot a bit further than I’m used to.

edit - For reference I’m considering something similar to barrel contour S4.

http://www.shilen.com/savageBarrels.html

Basic Member
    I my 10T has a 7/8 barrel diameter in an accustock. Now that I think about it, all of my acustock rifles (10T, 300 WSM Beat Hunter, and 7mm RM Long Range Hunter) at least have a little heavier barrel. You might just want to go with a 10T in 300 Win Mag if that is your plan. Then swap out the bolt head and barrel and not monkey around with the stock around the barrel. It just may have a little too much gap for aesthetics.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    I my 10T has a 7/8 barrel diameter in an accustock. Now that I think about it, all of my acustock rifles (10T, 300 WSM Beat Hunter, and 7mm RM Long Range Hunter) at least have a little heavier barrel. You might just want to go with a 10T in 300 Win Mag if that is your plan. Then swap out the bolt head and barrel and not monkey around with the stock around the barrel. It just may have a little too much gap for aesthetics.
    Edit - I did some research and it looks like only the short mags and ultra mags have different threads. I like your idea, I’ll get some info from Savage about their magnum contour barrels. That definitely looks easier than inletting the stock. - End Edit-

Also, don’t the magnums have different barrel threads and barrel nuts? I didn’t realize I could swap a magnum barrel for a standard barrel.

Basic Member
    Only the short magnum and target actions are a large shank, not sure about the ultra Mags, but it makes sense. The regular magnums are the same as all of the other center fire rifles (small shank). I have been thinking about doing a 10T in 300 Mag barrel swap with a 7x57 heavy sporter barrel because it is a cheap accustocked rifle and I don't mind the extra gap around the barrel from the 7/8 stock to the heavy sporter.

Quote Originally Posted by want2ride View Post
    Only the short magnum and target actions are a large shank, not sure about the ultra Mags, but it makes sense. The regular magnums are the same as all of the other center fire rifles (small shank). I have been thinking about doing a 10T in 300 Mag barrel swap with a 7x57 heavy sporter barrel because it is a cheap accustocked rifle and I don't mind the extra gap around the barrel from the 7/8 stock to the heavy sporter.
    Do you already have the 10t? I’m going to find a 110 hunter in 7 mag and measure the barrel, I bet it’s close to what I want.

Basic Member
    I only have the 10T in a 6.5 Creedmoor.