Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Apache Barrel

Defently a waiting game. Last barrel jimmy cut,chambered,contoured, and threaded took him a mere 3 months to finish and deliver. Judging by others comments, I fear I have a long wait for mine. I'm only 5 month's into the 2nd barrel. For me?......its a waiting game. It gets here when it gets here. I hope alls well on jimmies end.

I am in a similar situation with Robot and have hesitated to post publically because Jim seems like a great guy, but I am beyond frustrated with my order. I ordered a barrel in June of 17 and from that point on was unable to get any status updates at all. I finally contacted Paypal at the beginning of April to see if I had any options and was informed that I was past the 180-day dispute window, but they offered to send him an email for me. Got a phone call shortly after and I was told that the blank was in and would be to me shortly, and I am back to no return for phone calls since. I have already missed out on two matches that I had hoped to shoot in, and have a prairie dog hunt coming up in two weeks. I went ahead and purchased a different rifle because I am not missing out on another opportunity, and just want a refund at this point. In case anyone is wondering, Paypal is 180 days, and if you use a direct withdrawal instead of a credit card, it is 90 days.

Quote Originally Posted by blvedere View Post
    Would sure like to get my 6.5 Creedmore back together.
    Thanks Jim, Received my replacement barrel today. Will get it on action tomorrow and see how it shoots this weekend. All things considered I think Jim did right by me. Thanks again Jim....

Been working with my Apache 6.5 Creedmore barrel, and to this point it likes Sierra 140's better than Hornady 140 ELD's. Will shoot 5 in an inch at 200 yards. Think it will do better with a little more test and tune.

Basic Member
    Thats a FINE start. Who made the barrel blank?

Evlshnngns, Probably an Excalibur

42.3 +or- will get you < 1 inch at 400 5 shot group with a good setup, Lapua with br4's. Slightly larger at 600

What powder are you using? I am, at this time, loading 40.3 4198 touching the lands. Guess I will have to increase load faster and just go to 42.0 and go from there.

H4350 Start at 41.1 and go up in .3 increments. I would load no greater than 42.3. I use 400 yds for my tests. When you find that node, work around it.

Got my rounds mixed up. Am using 4350 in the 6.5, but am using 4198 in my 30 BR. My 30 will put 5 in under an inch at 300 yards. My range is only 300 yards, but I occasionally shoot in 600 yard shoots at another range. Hope I can get the 6.5 to shoot as well. Take care Bob

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Robot View Post
    Do any other forum members have any suggestions or experiences to share?
    Hello Robot! Did you ever make any headway? I’m still waiting for my barrel (currently on day 348). I’m doubting I get it before my 1 year anniversary wait date. Insert sad face here: ->

To update, I did finally receive the barrel from Jim at Apache. It ended up taking about 10 months to receive it. For the last several months I would send an email or call every couple of weeks to inquire on the status of the order. I usually didn't get a response back, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to keep checking. I don't think he's a crook or rip-off man. He just seems very disorganized on the administrative side of the business. In my opinion, if you're going to take people's hard-earned money for pre-orders you should make every effort to get them what they paid for in a timely fashion. But as they say...good, cheap, and quick, pick any two. The the machine work on the barrel looks good. I did run into an issue installing it though. The barrel threads have a sharper point or "peaks" on them then the factory barrel has and the new barrel it won't thread onto the rifle action. I put never-seize on everything. The factory barrel comes off and threads back onto the action with no problem. The factory barrel nut threads onto the Apache barrel with no issue. The recoil lug slides over the threads with no issue. However, when the Apache barrel is threaded onto the action it will only go on about half a turn. I stopped there as I didn't want to force anything. I did some research and it seems the issue is the "peaks" of the threads are cut a little taller and sharper then the factory barrel. Visual inspection seemed to confirm this. A known issue with tolerance stacking that some people can run into with prefits? The most often recommended remedy seemed to be lightly sanding the threads with very fine grit sandpaper/emery cloth to knock the peaks down a couple .001", cleaning the grit off thoroughly, and test fitting until it fits properly. Has anyone else run into this issue? I'm a little apprehensive to start sanding on the thing after it's finally arrived looking so nice, but a barrel I can't install onto the action isn't doing me any good. Any other suggestions?

The factory threads can be as small as 1.055, where often someone cutting threads single point may be as much as .0075 larger. also it is not uncommon for metal to get pushed to the peak in the thread cutting process. You will find many machinist will use an abrasive like cratex or even roll sandpaper to remove that proud metal.

You can measure the OD of the threads. If it is larger than 1.055 it would not hurt to wrap some abrasive around the threads and give it a few twist taking time to measure often. The pitch diameter will not be affected and the amount of thread engagement percentage wise is not impacted that much either. Remember, the area you are sanding is small and things can happen quickly.

Mr. Skinner (apache barrel) finally came through! Received my 26" .243 X caliber bull barrel last week ,I installed it, shot it this weekend and wouldn't you know, I found the load it likes 40 rounds in to load development. 4 rounds thru the same hole, one 1/16" off @100... Couldn't believe my eyes. 107gr SMK , Lapua brass,BR2 Primers, 38.5gr H4831sc. 020 off the lands. If I repeat it again this weekend, I'll take pics and clock the load. It was worth the 6 month wait.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eddiesindian View Post
    Mr. Skinner (apache barrel) finally came through! It was worth the 6 month wait.
    Congrats! Really glad you’re happy with it. Looking forward for the pics. I wish I only had to wait six months, I’m now 367 days waiting. But perhaps it will shoot better the longer I have to wait?!? Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Congrats! Really glad you’re happy with it. Looking forward for the pics. I wish I only had to wait six months, I’m now 367 days waiting. But perhaps it will shoot better the longer I have to wait?!? Lol.
    Truth be known. I started showing concern when he wouldn't answer any of my email. Finally got a hold of him through he's order page. Asked him about my order. He confessed it got lost in the shuffle. He chambered, threaded both ends and had it delivered in 3 days. You may want to get a hold of him through he's order page

Basic Member
    You may want to get a hold of him through he's order page
    I’ve done that very thing, in addition to regular email. I really don’t mind waiting for a quality product, but the silence is deafening.

If anything, I believe what made my order come about faster I s that he didn't contour my barrel. He basically chambered, cut to 26"....threaded both ends and shipped. He does great work. Clean threades. The reamers he uses are to specs, at least for the calibers and barrels he's done for me.

Basic Member
    If anything, I believe what made my order come about faster I s that he didn't contour my barrel.
    Well that makes sense. I requested a very thin contour and a couple extra requirements. I’m in it for the long haul and if mine shoots as good as yours, the wait (the long silent excruciating wait) won’t kill me. I hope Jim is knee deep in chrome moly shavings as we speak.

Quote Originally Posted by BlueDog View Post
    Well that makes sense. I requested a very thin contour and a couple extra requirements. I’m in it for the long haul and if mine shoots as good as yours, the wait (the long silent excruciating wait) won’t kill me. I hope Jim is knee deep in chrome moly shavings as we speak.
    Lolol

I know it's been awhile since I've posted in this thread, but i thought I'd give an update. Robinhood, thank you for the advice regarding working on the threads. I ended up shipping the barrel back to Jim at Apache. He worked on the threads and the barrel threads nicely onto the action now. It took about 2 months to get the barrel returned though. Also, he neglected to reimburse the return shipping costs like we had discussed, but at least I have a barrel I can use now. Hopefully it's a shooter.

Good news I see. Its a surprise he didn't keep his word as far as the shipping. I'm sure it'll be a shooter once you find the load it likes. He made a mistake on the contour on my barrel. Once I advised him of his mistake he offered to cut the barrel to my specs but I opted to leave it as is. I didn't want to hassle with shipping cost and wait times.
    Life is tuff.....its even tuffer when your stupid
    {John Wayne}

To give another update. I did send Jim a message regarding the missing reimbursement of the shipping costs. Once reminded, he did send me the funds with no issue. He is an honest guy who will keep his word, he just seems to be on the disorganized side and needs to be reminded of things in order for them to get done. The barrel installed with no issue once I received it back from him. Now to work up a load. To anyone out there still waiting on an order from Jim at Apache I would encourage you to give him a call or email. You may have to try several times to get in touch with him, but once you do he'll try to get you taken care of. It seems that he can just move kind of slow with getting things done.

Basic Member
    anyone out there chamber 6.5-06Ai

I've got one from Apache chambered in that very round. But I can't tell you much yet as I've only fireformed about 10rd. It's a 26in 8 twist green mtn barrel ohh and it's a remage.
    I'm the Boss. I make sure what she wants gets done.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12