Thread: Composite Stock Options for Long Action

Basic Member

Composite Stock Options for Long Action

I apologise if I'm beating a deadhorse here....

I recently bought a 116 action to build a 7 rem mag on. I have everything I need including the Boyd's pro varmint stock but I'm just not digging the laminate stock... Truth is I bought it off a guy here thinking I'd paint it and make it what I need but im still not wild about it...

What I really want is a Mcmillan Game Scout without the Mcmillan price. I love the hybrid bench/hunting style with the vertical style grip while still keeping it light and more of a sporter style.

I've looked at choate (too heavy), stockades (too long of wait times), B&C (only one option available for LA and it's a straight sporter style), Mcmillan (too rich for my blood), Boyd's (all laminate), hogue (meh), MPI (again too expensive). I even went do far as to email grayboe to see when they were going to start building stocks for Savage and they told me 2019 (originally they said 2018).

Are there any I'm missing here for options? I guess I should have done more research before going the long action/Savage route because so far I feel like my choices for a lightweight hunting/tactial stock are abismal.

Basic Member
    Could always buy a flat top and have a Gunsmith inlet it for you if they're willing. As far as drop in's you've about covered all options and the wait times, well that's just part of the game these days. Always a trade off. I just started sucking up the price tag and get what I want simply because I know I'll be happier in the long run instead of trying to make something else into what I want. I usually ended up spending more money in the long run going that route....

The Choate tactical at 3#11oz really isn't too bad as far as weight for a tactical rifle stock. It's a lot lighter than the Choate sniper stock with it's steel spacers and several oz lighter than the varmint. Yeah It's no Mcmillan and it's not carbon fiber but they can be had really reasonably >$200 and I love the one I have on my 110FP 25-06.
    It's pretty much a bench rig though as my hunting rifles are typically anywhere from 16-22" barrels (the shorter the better for handling and carry) and I find factory synthetics that have been bedded to be light enough and more than adequate to hunt with.
    Good luck with your quest. I'm guessing you're gonna have to either compromise or break out the checkbook.
    A good wife and a steady job has ruined many a great hunter.

You pretty much have them all covered. Or at least what I have found. Im in the same boat. I just want a good, sturdy, not to heavy hunting stock that can take a beating. And not have to pony up $500+

Basic Member
    I know it's a laminate, but take a look at the Pro-Hunter from sharpshootersupply.com. It's supposed to be for both hunting and bench, but doesn't give a weight. I want to put one on a model 11 or possibly an Axis, can't decide which one I'd rather try first. It has the more vertical grip, which I also like.

Savage Arms has all but slit their own throat in recent years as far as aftermarket stock support goes due to all the changes and variables. A stock manufacturer would have to offer 48 variations of the same stock to account for all the possible variables currently offered from Savage. Lots of new stocks hitting the market each year, but very few of them are offered for the Savage because of all the different configurations available.
    "Life' is tough. It's even tougher if you're stupid." ~ John Wayne
    “Under certain circumstances, 
urgent circumstances, desperate circumstances, profanity provides a relief denied even to prayer.” —Mark Twain

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swissfan View Post
    I know it's a laminate, but take a look at the Pro-Hunter from sharpshootersupply.com. It's supposed to be for both hunting and bench, but doesn't give a weight. I want to put one on a model 11 or possibly an Axis, can't decide which one I'd rather try first. It has the more vertical grip, which I also like.
    It's funny you mention it because I did see it the other night and thought damn that's exactly what I want, why can't you be composite haha

Basic Member
    Numurich has quite a selection of Savage stocks. Both new and used lots of variety lots manufactures. Might give it a look.

Basic Member
    B&C makes a LA m40 for varmint barrel.. blind mag, staggered feed. I am thinking about one for an old flat back 112 fvss 7 mag I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

H-s precision makes two styles. The top rifle in this picture is a savage 111 dbm. Second down is a savage 10

That is a good looking stable of rifles!!!!

Basic Member
    I know you've mentioned the wait times of Stockade, but IMO it's probably the only option that gives you what you want. Lightweight-ish, semi-sporter, and composite. I've got a model 16 LWH that's probably going to wear a Stockade some time this year, because Stockade is the only manufacturer that makes a somewhat lightweight stock for less than $500.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bajeep93 View Post
    H-s precision makes two styles. The top rifle in this picture is a savage 111 dbm. Second down is a savage 10

How do you like the HS precision?

Quote Originally Posted by Satchamo View Post
    How do you like the HS precision?
    I like them a lot. They don’t weigh much more then the accustock. They fit good. They are the right price. I have three of them.
    If you look around you can find them for good deals. The tan one I paid full price for. It was $396. The other two I bought used. 1 local for $250 and 1 on eBay for $250.

Basic Member
    Same boat here. OP what did you end up with? I know threads a year old

Sent from my KYOCERA-E6820 using Tapatalk