Not sure how else to say it,

Took (4) different 22's to the range and while my B22 FVSS was shootin toe to toe with my CZ 455 V, compared to the other 3 rifles, charging the Savage rotary mags just plain sucked.

After you charge them, they work AOK 100%. No complaints there at all, but after stuffing a couple hundred rounds in 'em during an outing, they really start to grind my gears!!! LOL!

(I have (2) rotary's and (1) banana. As I shoot from a bench, the banana really doesn't work due to space it requires, so,,, we'll focus today on the rotary's.)

Of the (2) rotary's I have, (1) came with the rifle and I purchased a 2nd online. No real distinguishable differences between the 2, and both ~equally unpleasant~ to charge.

Certainly not impossible to charge by any means, but when you switch from one rifle to another, then another, then another, the awkwardness of the Savage mags comes through crystal clear.

Of course, there are little 'tricks' I've learned over the last brick or two, and even then, it seemed like I really had to fight to get the last 3 or so rounds in,,,

When compared to other manufacturers mags,,, eh,,, just kind of a buzzkill,,,,

So, I figured I 'd experiment,,,, Time to open 'em up and see what makes 'em tick,,,

No surprise,,,, Ruger rotary mags are reasonably similar to the Savages,,, Overall concept is the same...

When I pulled the Savages apart, I noticed each had approx. (1) full turn of spring tension.

By design, the Savage mag / mag springs are only capable of 180 degree increments of tension adjustment.

I cleaned/reassembled with 1/2 turn of tension instead of 1. (Mags weren't really dirty, but be danged if I'm gonna pull em apart and NOT clean em! LOL!)

As one would guess, with the reduced tension, it's not near as much of a struggle to charge 'em,,,,

I've charged/shucked 'em here at my desk a couple of times. Seems to work just fine. Truth will be a trip to the range, but looking 'quite promising' at this point.

So why so much tension from the factory?

A. Can only assume 'more' tension is better than less for folks who never clean a mag,,,

B. Might be necessary on the last couple rounds for the faster action of semi-auto's. Again, especially with folks who never clean a mag,,,

C. 3/4 turn may be fine for 'all of the above', but the design won't allow for less than 180 degree adjustments,,,

Hard to say, but if this works, at least to the point that it's 'reasonably close' to the effort required to charge other manufacturers mags, I'll be tickled,,,