Thread: 22 Hornet primers..And advise

Basic Member

22 Hornet primers..And advise

I recently bought a 22 Hornet,and will be loading for it.I have a lot of CCI 400 primers on hand,and intended to use them,but Ihave been doing some research,and a lot of folks like small pistol primers,and claim a hot primer will get the bullet underway before the powder ignites.I intend to crimp my loads,and I ordered 200 46gr Speer flat nose,and 200 35gr Varmegedon.I will be using Lil Gun shotgun powder.I know the BC of the flat nose pills is low,but I chose them for their stubbiness due to the 1in 16 inch twist..Do any of you more experienced Hornet loaders think I should pick up some pistol primers,or will the CCI 400 be fine?..I would also appreciate any advise you can give me on loading for for a 22Hornet.Thanks

I am a long time handloader of the hornet, back from the 70s I have never seen a difference in the pistol or rifle primers as far as accuracy or anything else. I use what I feel like using at the time I load. most of the time it will be small rifle. the Lil gun powder is the best I have ever used in the finicky hornet,,,,,,,,,,,

Basic Member
    Thank you olskool..I loaded and shot some of the 46 gr Speer today,I used the CCI 400s,and settled on 13.2gr of the Lil Gun,and was shooting under an inch at 100 yards..I got some of that PPU Serbian ammo (45gr soft point)with the gun,and they shot pretty good,but not as good.I did notice the hand loads were louder than the PPU.

I will tell you the I bought some ppu stuff for the brass, but man they really shoot in my 340 the also have a thick jacket that will not separate,,,,,,,,,,

I use small rifle primers in my 22 Hornet (which, oddly, is in a 10" barrelled pistol).
    "They couldn't hit an elephant at this distance." Last words of Gen. Sedgwik

Basic Member
    Might be a little off here, I don't have a hornet but used li'l gun in my 221 fireball...The pressures are more and using Rem 6 1/2s had the only once ever primer puncture (bad experience)...Went to the cci400s and never had that problem again..I was told that the thinner cups were designed for the hornet..I think you will be fine with the CCIs as long as the firing pin is doing its job..
    Good luck,
    randy

I have loaded the hornet for 40 years and never had a bit of problem with small rifle primers. the most exciting thing is the new powders available for small guns like 1680,lil gun

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctrn469 View Post
    I have loaded the hornet for 40 years and never had a bit of problem with small rifle primers. the most exciting thing is the new powders available for small guns like 1680,lil gun
    I am really tickled with the LilGun.I average 2797 with 13.2gr under a 46 gr.pill from a 22 inch barrel.I think it will make a dandy turkey or groundhog buster.

Basic Member
    As you can see below the CCI 400 has a thinner cup thickness and is designed for lower pressure cartridges like the 22 Hornet. And the CCI 400 is not recommended for use in the AR15 due to the risk of slam fires due to its thinner cup. The CCI 400 is the same as the CCI 550 small pistol magnum primer. I posted the information below because I had a SKS go full auto on me and decided to learn more about primers and where to use them.

NOTE 1: According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably.

Primer Flash Test Photos
    http://www.6mmbr.com/primerpix.html

CHOOSING THE RIGHT PRIMER - A PRIMER ON PRIMERS
    http://www.sksboards.com/smf/?topic=56422.0

NOTE 1: According to Speer/CCI Technical Services - Both the CCI 550 Small Pistol Magnum and CCI 400 Small Rifle primers are identical in size. Both primers use the same cup metal and share the same cup thickness. Both primers use the same primer compound formula and same amount of primer compound. They can be used interchangeably.

That's a handi chart ! I will print it Thanks

Basic Member
    Below CCI 400 primers fired in a AR15 rifle, the primer cups are too thin for this type over gassed rifle.

And the anvil has been pushed out the hole in the primer by chamber pressure.

Moral of story, know thy rifle and more about the correct primer to use in your rifle.
    And if your SKS goes full auto you will need to use "Shout stain remover" on the brown stains in your underwear.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigedp51 View Post
    Below CCI 400 primers fired in a AR15 rifle, the primer cups are too thin for this type over gassed rifle.

And the anvil has been pushed out the hole in the primer by chamber pressure.

Moral of story, know thy rifle and more about the correct primer to use in your rifle.
    And if your SKS goes full auto you will need to use "Shout stain remover" on the brown stains in your underwear.
    Bigedp51,
    Good info. My past experience with the blown primer although many years ago did end up with a trip to K-mart to buy new underwear.
    When I made the change from 6-1/2s to 400s thought I was good to go and shot the .221 with them ever since. Your info shows that I was misinformed at the time (before internet). Grandkids even shot it from time to time as a trainer rifle. Thank the Lord that no one was ever hurt (scarry). Haven't shot it for a while so I will pull apart whatever ammo I have and start over with the 450s.
    Just purchased a new .223 take off barrel (not mounted yet) and need some 450s for that anyway.
    Shows me that you are never too old learn (or at least open my eyes).
    Thanks again for the heads up,
    Randy