Thread: New Savage owner questions - muzzle brake and scope mounts

New Savage owner questions - muzzle brake and scope mounts

I just purchased a new Savage 10T-SR in .223. I’m going to add a Vortex 6-24x50 scope to it.

The 10T barrel is threaded at the end for a muzzle brake or suppressor. I would like to add a muzzle brake and asking for suggestions for makes and models. My Google search hasn’t been very productive.

My second question involves what kind of rings to purchase. The scope has a 30mm tube and the Savage has a factory installed Picatinny rail. Asking about preferred scope rings. My intent is to use the gun for bench rest and prairie dog shooting.

All suggestions and information appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Basic Member
    My model 11 Hunter in 308, I setup it up with that exact Vortex optic with the Vortex 30mm high rings. I placed it on a rail from a savage "new take off", I purchased it on eBay.
    I had to remove the rear iron sight.

Papa

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Just bought the same rifle but 6 Creed. Using a Athlon Agros BTR with 30mm tube. Using low Luepold rings and have good clearance on the barrel. On the muzzle brake. Just broke the barrel in today with nothing. After much research I just went with the JP recoil eliminator. I don't have it yet but can let you know after we shoot it what we think. It'll be a good test as my son is shooting the rifle right now.

FYI my gun is a hammer. Once it was zeroed we were almost touching at a hundred shooting prone. Ran the troop line to a 1000 yards. The wind was messing with us but it was hitting fairly consistently.

Basic Member
    Since you're already threaded for a brake:
    Crush washer or peel washers to get the brake indexed correctly
    "Adjustable" brakes that can be indexed with a wrench, like the APA Gen II Micro-Bastard:
    https://www.americanprecisionarms.co...micro-bastard/
    Or, a brake with nondirectional porting that doesn't require indexing at all like a Vais.

Assuming Savage threaded it 1/2"-28 tpi which is typical for .223, there is a plethora of brakes marketed for the AR platform...
    If they threaded larger- such as 5/8"-24 tpi, you're going to be more limited for the smaller .223. You can use a .30 cal brake, but the larger exit hole will reduce efficiency somewhat. Or, you can find one that's not bored, and have a smith or machinist open it up.

Chart for estimating ring height:

https://www.brownells.com/aspx/learn...aspx?lid=11213

Barrel contour comes into play here as well; obviously a heavy/bull contour may require taller rings than a light contour barrel.