Thread: Price for Rifle to Start With

Price for Rifle to Start With

Hey guys, this is my first post here. I'm kind of new to the Savage scene, but I'm interested in getting a 10/110 series rifle to shoot and eventually build on. I saw that I recently missed the great sale Cabelas had on the 12FV, but it looks like if I wait around a few months they might have another. With their last black Friday sale, rebate, veterans discount, discounted gift cards, etc. I think I could get a 12FV new for about $200. That seems like about the best deal on a short action, and I could easily get 2 for that price and still be cheaper than most used ones at stores around here.

Are there any similar deals that come around periodically on a long action? I'd be happy with either. In my local area there are a couple used 110s in 30-06 and 270 that could be had for about $300-$320. I'm kind of wondering if I should go ahead and buy one of those, or wait and see if Cabelas has a sale again sometime soon. Any help/advice from you guys who have been doing this awhile would be appreciated.

What is your intended purpose? What caliber are you wanting it chambered in? The 12FV is probably the best platform to build from in regards to price and aftermarket support, especially if you're staying with a short action chambering.

I built my 260 rem off the 11/111 action which was originally chambered in .270. I waited to buy mine until it went on sale @ Cabelas before I bought it... Paid $400.00 for it just to tear it apart for the action. So, those 110 actions may be your best deal. nothing wrong with building a short action cartridge like (6.5 Creed, .260 rem, .243) on the long action... just gives you more room in the mag to seat the VLD pills long and still feed from the mag.

Basic Member
    The 12FV is a great value... but building off of it can still get expensive if you want to heavily modify it. For example- if you want to change out the stock and have a detachable mag- depending on what options you go with it may be cheaper to start with something else. The center feed blind mag that it comes with is definitely usable, but not great. For me it would depend of what model the 110 guns were... do they have the accu trigger.. and more than likely they are blind mag also.

If the cartridge I want to use will let me load long and still fit in a short action I go that route... but I would rather put a short action round in a long action than have to single feed. I put my 6mm Rem in a long action because I needed 2.980- and it works great. So either option should work for you.

I'd love to build a longer range (500-700 yards) rifle for target shooting. I think a 308 would work well for what I would do, so long action isn't required but it could add more options later. I'm also attracted to the 12FV because it comes with a barrel and an Accutrigger that would work for now until I decide if I want to replace them. The used ones are sporter profile barrels, non-accutrigger, so I would basically get a usable action out of them, plus the ability to use longer cartridges.

Basic Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Munk View Post
    I'd love to build a longer range (500-700 yards) rifle for target shooting. I think a 308 would work well for what I would do, so long action isn't required but it could add more options later. I'm also attracted to the 12FV because it comes with a barrel and an Accutrigger that would work for now until I decide if I want to replace them. The used ones are sporter profile barrels, non-accutrigger, so I would basically get a usable action out of them, plus the ability to use longer cartridges.
    The 308 is adequate for target shooting in that range. I think the 12FV comes in a 308 or if you are looking for a better rifle for long range shooting it also comes in 6.5 Creedmoor. The barrel that comes on the 12FV is a great barrel. My 22-250 and my brother's 6.5 Creedmoor are both 1/2 MOA rifles. He even put his 6.5 Creedmoor in a Mcrees precision stock and it is his backup PRS rifle. Don't expect to change out the barrel because it is a factory barrel... It might surprise you.

Team Savage
    For target shooting in the 500-700 yard range, I'd get a 12FV in 6.5 and never look back.

I just bought a 110 Tactical in .308 - $600 and put an Athlon Argos BTR 6-24x50mm scope on it and spent under $900 total. Shoots like a nail driver. Love it. Almost got the 6.5 but decided to stick with the 308 for variety and cost of ammo, plus I don't really shoot beyond 500yrds much. I love the new accustock, and was able to get things adjusted nicely for me - something many other rifles in this price range can't do. Savage rocks!