Thread: Ugh, barrel swap problems, bolt head problems, mag problems..help? Pic included

AZ-K9

Ugh, barrel swap problems, bolt head problems, mag problems..help? Pic included

Got a 12FV in .223 and bought a new barrel in 6.5x284. Swap went ok till I fitted the recoil lug to the reciever, it's not flush, I suppse some minor filing will get it to mate so that there is no uneven pressure on the face of the action. That's probably the easier problem, two more which I don't know what to do with and am asking for a little guidance.

You'll see in the photo below that the bolt head I bought is different, the old one is on top, new one on bottom. See the cutout on the rear of the bolt head on top? The new one does not have that and will not go into the bolt body... What is the fix for this? Did I buy the wrong head? File out the indent in the bolt body? I don't have the ability to mill out a cutout on the bolt head as the old one was done...

Problem three is the magazine, I was mistakenly under the impression the 112FV was a long action, yet a long action magazine body will not fit as you can clearly see. What mag body will fit the 6.5x284 and this action?

Any help, corrections or advice will be greatly appreciated. This is my first Savage swap and I goofed it up a bit.

[img width=600 height=449]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll130/ArizonaK9/2010-09-23_18-54-48_514.jpg[/img]

[img width=600 height=449]http://i287.photobucket.com/albums/ll130/ArizonaK9/2010-09-23_18-58-00_620.jpg[/img]

Re: Ugh, barrel swap problems, bolt head problems, mag problems..help? Pic included

I had the same problem with the recoil lug. I just took a file and opened the slot a little.

I also have had the same problem with the bolt head. I used my dremel to remove bump from the inside of the bolt body. Then it doesn't matter if your bolthead has the cutout or not. You'll just run the chance of installing the bolthead upside down. No biggie.

You have a short action. A long action magazine won't fit, no matter what. You'll need a 308 sized magazine and follower. It looks like your loaded round would fit that 223 magazine if the spacer was removed. That's the same size as the 308 magazine.

So, you're not really screwed. You just need a few minutes of work and a cheap mag and follower.
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar

AZ-K9

Re: Ugh, barrel swap problems, bolt head problems, mag problems..help? Pic included

So, am I correct in saying the 112fv is a long action but with a short action magazine body cutout? Reason I ask is a long action Duramaxx stock fits it.

Netz

There's 2 more issues you might need to address.
    You need the correct baffle without the leg on it for the shorter .223, and your firing pin hole might need to be opened up, but I do see you have both styles of firing pins, you'll probably need to use the smaller dia. pin.
    Curt

dcloco

If the spacing between your action screws is 5", then you have a long action.

Savage made long actions with the cut out for the shorter 223 thru 308 length cartridges.

AZ-K9

Quote Originally Posted by Netz
    There's 2 more issues you might need to address.
    You need the correct baffle without the leg on it for the shorter .223, and your firing pin hole might need to be opened up, but I do see you have both styles of firing pins, you'll probably need to use the smaller dia. pin.
    Curt
    The new bolt head is the smaller pin diameter indeed. I'm not clear on your part about the baffle. The one shown (dogleg) is the stock .223 baffle, will I need to get a non dog leg baffle?

BillPa

Form what I'm seeing as the beast I can tell you may have one of the older long actions (5.062" screw spacing) configured as a short, the extended front baffle, short box, .140 firing pin, keyed bolthead shaft and etc.

Look at the distance from the back of the mag to the rear action screw hole. On those actions the distance was around an inch. On the true LAs-SAs its much shorter, about 1/4"-3/8"or something like that. I forget exactly without measuring.

The new bolthead probably is for the newer .095" pins. The lower pin in your picture appears to be a .095. If you use the smaller pin you'll also need a new bolthead retaining pin for the .095 pin and remove the key inside the bolthead. The other option, drill out the new bolthead to the vent hole with a #28 or 9/64" bit and use the older parts, firing pin and retaining pin.

The extended baffle was used to shorten the bolt throw for the short action configuration. There you can use a new baffle without the extension or modify the one you have. Simply cut it off.

Regardless, if you had a repeater in mind your SOL, unless you have the action opened for the longer mag box.

As far as the lug is concerned, the receiver face is out of square, its typical on most all actions, Savage or otherwise. I guess you could improve the fit with some careful file work, but the correct way is squaring it to the threads on a lathe.

Personally, I'd look around and find a used true LA Savage or Stevens donor rifle for the action for your project then sell off the parts you don't need to recoup some bucks. The action you have is fine for something in a 308 length or shorter cartridge, so you can always use it for something else.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by BillPa
    Form what I'm seeing as the beast I can tell you may have one of the older long actions (5.062" screw spacing) configured as a short, the extended front baffle, short box, .140 firing pin, keyed bolthead shaft and etc.

Personally, I'd look around and find a used true LA Savage or Stevens donor rifle for the action for your project then sell off the parts you don't need to recoup some bucks. The action you have is fine for something in a 308 length or shorter cartridge, so you can always use it for something else.

Bill
    If it is a long action with a short action magazine you can do anything with it. But anything with long bullets or long action cases will be best used as a single shot. That's what my 338 Edge is built on, but mine's LH.

[img width=600 height=356]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee269/geargrinder123/S8001327.jpg[/img]
    "Muzzle velocity is a depreciating asset, not unlike a new car, but BC, like diamonds, is forever."-German A. Salazar